Expected optimal feedback with Time-Varying Parameters
AbstractIn this paper we derive the closed loop form of the Expected Optimal Feedback rule, sometimes called passive learning stochastic control, with time varying parameters. As such this paper extends the work of Kendrick (1981,2002, Chapter 6) where parameters are assumed to vary randomly around a known constant mean. Furthermore, we show that the cautionary myopic rule in Beck and Wieland (2002) model, a test bed for comparing various stochastic optimizations approaches, can be cast into this framework and can be treated as a special case of this solution.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Utrecht School of Economics in its series Working Papers with number 11-18.
Length: 21 pages
Date of creation: 2011
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: P.O. Box 80125, NL-3508 TC Utrecht
Phone: +31 30 253 9800
Fax: +31 30 253 7373
Web page: http://www.uu.nl/EN/faculties/leg/organisation/schools/schoolofeconomicsuse/Pages/default.aspx
More information through EDIRC
Other versions of this item:
- Marco Tucci & David Kendrick & Hans Amman, 2013. "Expected Optimal Feedback with Time-Varying Parameters," Computational Economics, Society for Computational Economics, vol. 42(3), pages 351-371, October.
- Marco P. Tucci & David A. Kendrick & Hans M. Amman, 2007. "Expected optimal feedback with Time-Varying Parameters," Department of Economics University of Siena 497, Department of Economics, University of Siena.
- C63 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Computational Techniques
- E61 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomic Policy, Macroeconomic Aspects of Public Finance, and General Outlook - - - Policy Objectives; Policy Designs and Consistency; Policy Coordination
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-11-07 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Elizabeth Chase MacRae, 1972. "Linear Decision with Experimentation," NBER Chapters, in: Annals of Economic and Social Measurement, Volume 1, number 4, pages 435-445 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Chow, Gregory C, 1975. "A Solution to Optimal Control of Linear Systems with Unknown Parameters," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 57(3), pages 338-45, August.
- Tucci, Marco P., 1997. "Adaptive control in the presence of time-varying parameters," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 22(1), pages 39-47, November.
- Beck, Gunter W. & Wieland, Volker, 2002. "Learning and control in a changing economic environment," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 26(9-10), pages 1359-1377, August.
- MacRae, Elizabeth Chase, 1975. "An Adaptive Learning Rule for Multiperiod Decision Problems," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 43(5-6), pages 893-906, Sept.-Nov.
- Turnovsky, Stephen J, 1976. "Optimal Stabilization Policies for Stochastic Linear Systems: The Case of Correlated Multiplicative and Additive Disturbances," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 43(1), pages 191-94, February.
- Chow, Gregory C, 1973. "Effect of Uncertainty on Optimal Control Policies," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 14(3), pages 632-45, October.
- Marco P. Tucci & David A. Kendrick & Hans M. Amman, 2007.
"The Parameter Set in an Adaptive Control Monte Carlo Experiment: Some Considerations,"
Department of Economics University of Siena
507, Department of Economics, University of Siena.
- Tucci, Marco P. & Kendrick, David A. & Amman, Hans M., 2010. "The parameter set in an adaptive control Monte Carlo experiment: Some considerations," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 34(9), pages 1531-1549, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Marina Muilwijk).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.