Unemployment duration and workers' wage aspirations in Spain
AbstractThis paper examines unemployed workers' declared willingness to work for a wage lower than the one warranted by their qualification. We analyze which personal and economic characteristics determine this willingness and how it changes as unemployment spells lengthen. Moreover, we also study the influence of this willingness on unemployment duration. The main results are: (i) Young workers, those less educated and those living in regions with high unemployment show a more positive attitude towards accepting lower wages while married women with a working husband show more negative attitudes; (ii) The exhaustion of unemployment benefits has positive effects in the transition probability of the attitude from negative to positive; (iii) The effect of this attitude on the unemployment hazard rate is positive but only marginally significant which may be showing that this willingness is not only reflecting the worker's reservation wage but also some unobserved heterogeneity; (iv) The negative duration dependence of the unemployment hazard rate is substantially reduced when unobserved heterogeneity is controlled for.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra in its series Economics Working Papers with number 426.
Date of creation: Mar 2000
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.econ.upf.edu/
Willingness to work for lower wages; reservation wage; unemployment duration; unobserved heterogeneity;
Other versions of this item:
- Namkee Ahn & José Ignacio García-Pérez, 2002. "Unemployment duration and workers' wage aspirations in Spain," Spanish Economic Review, Springer, vol. 4(2), pages 103-118.
- Namkee Ahn & J. Ignacio Garcí-Pérez, . "Unemployment duration and workers' wage aspirations in Spain," Working Papers 99-20, FEDEA.
- Namkee Ahn & J. Ignacio García-Pérez, . "Unemployment duration and worker's wage aspiration in Spain," Studies on the Spanish Economy 58, FEDEA.
- C41 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods: Special Topics - - - Duration Analysis; Optimal Timing Strategies
- J64 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Mobility, Unemployment, and Vacancies - - - Unemployment: Models, Duration, Incidence, and Job Search
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ahn, N. & de la Rica, S. & Ugidos, A., 1998.
"Willingness to Move for Work and Unemployment Duration in Spain,"
9801, Centro de Estudios Monetarios Y Financieros-.
- Ahn, Namkee & de la Rica, Sara & Ugidos, Arantza, 1999. "Willingness to Move for Work and Unemployment Duration in Spain," Economica, London School of Economics and Political Science, vol. 66(263), pages 335-57, August.
- Heckman, James & Singer, Burton, 1984. "A Method for Minimizing the Impact of Distributional Assumptions in Econometric Models for Duration Data," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 52(2), pages 271-320, March.
- Meyer, Bruce D, 1990.
"Unemployment Insurance and Unemployment Spells,"
Econometric Society, vol. 58(4), pages 757-82, July.
- van den Berg, Gerard J, 1990.
"Nonstationarity in Job Search Theory,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 57(2), pages 255-77, April.
- Blanchard, O.J. & Diamond, P., 1990.
"Ranking, Unemployment Duration, And Wages,"
546, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Jenkins, Stephen P, 1995. "Easy Estimation Methods for Discrete-Time Duration Models," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 57(1), pages 129-38, February.
- Pissarides, Christopher A, 1992. "Loss of Skill during Unemployment and the Persistence of Employment Shocks," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 107(4), pages 1371-91, November.
- Bover, O. & Arellano, M. & Bentolila, S., 1997.
"Unemployment Duration, Benefit Duration, and the Business Cycle,"
9717, Centro de Estudios Monetarios Y Financieros-.
- Olympia Bover & Manuel Arellano & Samuel Bentolila, 2002. "Unemployment Duration, Benefit Duration and the Business Cycle," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 112(479), pages 223-265, April.
- Arellano, Manuel & Bentolila, Samuel & Bover, Olympia, 1998. "Unemployment Duration, Benefit Duration and the Business Cycle," CEPR Discussion Papers 1840, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Stancanelli, Elena G F, 1999.
" Do the Rich Stay Unemployed Longer? An Empirical Study for the UK,"
Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics,
Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 61(3), pages 295-314, August.
- Stancanelli, E.G.F., 1997. "Do the rich stay unemployed longer? An empirical study for the U.K," Discussion Paper 97.81, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Mortensen, Dale T., 1987.
"Job search and labor market analysis,"
Handbook of Labor Economics,
in: O. Ashenfelter & R. Layard (ed.), Handbook of Labor Economics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 15, pages 849-919
- Namkee Ahn & Sara La De Rica, 1997. "The underground economy in Spain: an alternative to unemployment?," Applied Economics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 29(6), pages 733-743.
- Garcia-Perez, J.I., 1998. "Non-Stationary Job Search with Firing: a Structural Estimation," Papers 9802, Centro de Estudios Monetarios Y Financieros-.
- Ahn, Namkee & Ugidos-Olazabal, Arantza, 1995. "Duration of Unemployment in Spain: Relative Effects of Unemployment Benefit and Family Characteristics," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 57(2), pages 249-64, May.
- Atkinson, Anthony B & Micklewright, John, 1991. "Unemployment Compensation and Labor Market Transitions: A Critical Review," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 29(4), pages 1679-1727, December.
- José Ignacio García Pérez & Yolanda Rebollo Sanz, 2005.
"A Structural Estimation to Evaluate the Wage Penalty after Unemployment in Europe,"
Economic Working Papers at Centro de Estudios Andaluces
E2005/15, Centro de Estudios Andaluces.
- Yolanda Rebollo Sanz & José Ignacio García-Pérez, 2006. "A Structural Estimation to Evaluate the Wage Penalty After Unemployment in Europe," Working Papers 06.26, Universidad Pablo de Olavide, Department of Economics.
- Anders Forslund & Alan B. Krueger, 2008.
"Did Active Labour Market Policies Help Sweden Rebound from the Depression of the Early 1990s?,"
1035, Princeton University, Department of Economics, Center for Economic Policy Studies..
- Anders Forslund & Alan Krueger, 2010. "Did Active Labor Market Policies Help Sweden Rebound from the Depression of the Early 1990s?," NBER Chapters, in: Reforming the Welfare State: Recovery and Beyond in Sweden, pages 159-187 National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Peter Fredriksson & Bertil Holmlund, 2006.
"Improving Incentives in Unemployment Insurance: A Review of Recent Research,"
Journal of Economic Surveys,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 20(3), pages 357-386, 07.
- Fredriksson, Peter & Holmlund, Bertil, 2003. "Improving incentives in unemployment insurance: A review of recent research," Working Paper Series 2003:5, IFAU - Institute for Evaluation of Labour Market and Education Policy.
- Peter Fredriksson & Bertil Holmlund, 2003. "Improving Incentives in Unemployment Insurance: A Review of Recent Research," CESifo Working Paper Series 922, CESifo Group Munich.
- Fredriksson, Peter & Holmlund, Bertil, 2003. "Improving Incentives in Unemployment Insurance: A Review of Recent Research," Working Paper Series 2003:10, Uppsala University, Department of Economics.
- J. Ignacio Garc�a-Pérez, 2006. "Job separation in a non-stationary search model: a structural estimation to evaluate alternative unemployment insurance systems," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 21(2), pages 245-272.
- Ayala, Luis & Rodriguez, Magdalena, 2007. "Barriers to employment and welfare dynamics: Evidence from Spain," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 237-257.
- Gema Álvarez Llorente & Mª Soledad Otero Giráldez & Alberto Rodríguez Casal & Jacobo de Uña Álvarez, 2004. "La duración del desempleo de la mujer casada en Galicia," Working Papers 0409, Universidade de Vigo, Departamento de Economía Aplicada.
- José Ignacio García Pérez & Fernando Múñoz Bullón, 2001. "The Nineties in Spain: so much Flexibility in the Labor Market?," Economic Working Papers at Centro de Estudios Andaluces E2001/01, Centro de Estudios Andaluces.
- Jacobo de Uña Álvarez & Gema Álvarez Llorente & Mª Soledad Otero Giráldez, 2004. "Estimation of time spent in unemployment for married women: An application at regional level," Working Papers 0410, Universidade de Vigo, Departamento de Economía Aplicada.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.