Duration of Unemployment in Spain: Relative Effects of Unemployment Benefit and Family Characteristics
AbstractWe estimate the effects of unemployment benefit and family situation on the unemployment duration in Spain. Empirical results indicate that the distinctions between the exits into employment and the exists from the labor force and between men and women are important. Although unemployment benefit reduces significantly the job-finding probabilities, its effects are much larger on exists from the labor force. Many people who decide to go out of the labor force delay their exists until they exhaust their unemployment benefits. Family situation also has strong effects on the duration of unemployment in Spain. Household heads have about twice larger job-finding probability than non-heads, and having a working household head or other working household members improves employment probability. This suggests that family connections in the labor market are important determinants of unemployment duration in Spain. Copyright 1995 by Blackwell Publishing Ltd
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Department of Economics, University of Oxford in its journal Oxford Bulletin of Economics & Statistics.
Volume (Year): 57 (1995)
Issue (Month): 2 (May)
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Manor Rd. Building, Oxford, OX1 3UQ
Web page: http://www.blackwellpublishing.com/journal.asp?ref=0305-9049
More information through EDIRC
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Aino Salom�ki & Teresa Munzi, 1999. "Net Replacement Rates of the Unemployed. Comparison of various approaches," European Economy - Economic Papers 133, Directorate General Economic and Monetary Affairs (DG ECFIN), European Commission.
- Namkee Ahn & J. Ignacio García-Pérez, .
"Unemployment duration and worker's wage aspiration in Spain,"
Studies on the Spanish Economy
- Namkee Ahn & José Ignacio García-Pérez, 2002. "Unemployment duration and workers' wage aspirations in Spain," Spanish Economic Review, Springer, vol. 4(2), pages 103-118.
- Namkee Ahn & J. Ignacio García Pérez, 2000. "Unemployment duration and workers' wage aspirations in Spain," Economics Working Papers 426, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Arellano, Manuel & Bentolila, Samuel & Bover, Olympia, 1998.
"Unemployment Duration, Benefit Duration and the Business Cycle,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
1840, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Olympia Bover & Manuel Arellano & Samuel Bentolila, 2002. "Unemployment Duration, Benefit Duration and the Business Cycle," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 112(479), pages 223-265, April.
- Bover, O. & Arellano, M. & Bentolila, S., 1997. "Unemployment Duration, Benefit Duration, and the Business Cycle," Papers 9717, Centro de Estudios Monetarios Y Financieros-.
- Jordi Amorós, Catalina & Manjón Antolín, Miguel C., 2013. "The Determinants of Urban (Un)employment Duration: Evidence from Barcelona," Working Papers 2072/211799, Universitat Rovira i Virgili, Department of Economics.
- Stephen P. Jenkins & Carlos García-Serrano, 2000.
"Re-Employment Probabilities for Spanish Men: What Role Does the Unemployment Benefit System Play?,"
Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin
216, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Ayala, Luis & Rodriguez, Magdalena, 2007. "Barriers to employment and welfare dynamics: Evidence from Spain," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 29(2), pages 237-257.
- Namkee Ahn & Arantza Ugidos, 1996. "The effects of the labor market situation of parents on children: inheritance of unemployment," Investigaciones Economicas, Fundación SEPI, vol. 20(1), pages 23-41, January.
- Mareva Sabatier, 2002. "Modes de Recherche d'Emploi et Durée de Chômage des Jeunes : Applications Econométriques au "Panel Téléphonique" du CEREQ," Post-Print hal-00825998, HAL.
- Sabatier, Mareva, 2002.
"Modes de recherche d’emploi et durée de chômage des jeunes : applications microéconométriques au Panel Téléphonique du CEREQ,"
Société Canadienne de Science Economique, vol. 78(1), pages 41-66, Mars.
- Sabatier, Mareva, 2001.
"Modes de recherche d’emploi et durée de chômage des jeunes : applications microéconométriques au Panel Téléphonique du CEREQ
[Job search methods and youth unemployed duration]," MPRA Paper 10496, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Sabatier, Mareva, 2001. "Modes de recherche d’emploi et durée de chômage des jeunes : applications microéconométriques au Panel Téléphonique du CEREQ
- Namkee Ahn & J. Ignacio Garcí-Pérez, . "Unemployment duration and workers' wage aspirations in Spain," Working Papers 99-20, FEDEA.
- Canziani, Patrizia & Petrongolo, Barbara, 2001. "Firing costs and stigma: A theoretical analysis and evidence from microdata," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 45(10), pages 1877-1906, December.
- María Dolores Guilló & Antonia Díaz, 1998. "- Some Stylized Facts Of Spanish Unemployment," Working Papers. Serie AD 1998-04, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Sabatier, Mareva, 2002.
"Strategies D'Insertion Et Duree D'Acces Au Premier Emploi
[Job search strategies and unemployment duration before the first job]," MPRA Paper 10500, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Labeaga, José M. & Molina, José Alberto & Navarro, María, 2011. "Deprivation using satisfaction measures in Spain: An evaluation of unemployment benefits," Journal of Policy Modeling, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 287-310, March.
- Encarnación Cordón Lagares & Félix García Ordaz, 2010. "Evaluación paramétrica y no paramétrica del desempleo pesquero en Marruecos: Una aplicación para el caso andaluz," Revista de Estudios Regionales, Universidades Públicas de Andalucía, vol. 1, pages 17-44.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.