On optimal location with treshold requirements
AbstractThe optimal location of services is one of the most important factors that affects service quality in terms of consumer access. On the other hand, services in general need to have a minimum catchment area so as to be efficient. In this paper a model is presented that locates the maximum number of services that can coexist in a given region without having losses, taking into account that they need a minimum catchment area to exist. The objective is to minimize average distance to the population. The formulation presented belongs to the class of discrete P--median--like models. A tabu heuristic method is presented to solve the problem. Finally, the model is applied to the location of pharmacies in a rural region of Spain.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra in its series Economics Working Papers with number 220.
Date of creation: Mar 1997
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.econ.upf.edu/
Discrete facility location; threshold; tabu search;
Other versions of this item:
- Miquel Carreras & Daniel Serra, 1997. "On optimal location with treshold requirements," Working Papers, Research Center on Health and Economics 220, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- C61 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Mathematical Methods; Programming Models; Mathematical and Simulation Modeling - - - Optimization Techniques; Programming Models; Dynamic Analysis
- R12 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Size and Spatial Distributions of Regional Economic Activity; Interregional Trade (economic geography)
- R53 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Regional Government Analysis - - - Public Facility Location Analysis; Public Investment and Capital Stock
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-1998-09-14 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Daniel Serra & Samuel Ratick & Charles Revelle, 1994.
"The maximum capture problem with uncertainty,"
Economics Working Papers
74, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
- Hasan Pirkul & David A. Schilling, 1991. "The Maximal Covering Location Problem with Capacities on Total Workload," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 37(2), pages 233-248, February.
- ReVelle, Charles, 1993. "Facility siting and integer-friendly programming," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 65(2), pages 147-158, March.
- P V Balakrishnan & A Desai & J E Storbeck, 1994. "Efficiency evaluation of retail outlet networks," Environment and Planning B: Planning and Design, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 21(4), pages 477-488, July.
- P V Balakrishnan & J E Storbeck, 1991. "McTHRESH: modeling maximum coverage with threshold constraints," Environment and Planning B: Planning and Design, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 18(4), pages 459-472, July.
- J R Current & J E Storbeck, 1988. "Capacitated covering models," Environment and Planning B: Planning and Design, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 15(2), pages 153-163, March.
- P J Densham & G Rushton, 1992. "Strategies for solving large location-allocation problems by heuristic methods," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 24(2), pages 289-304, February.
- Cornuejols, G. & Sridharan, R. & Thizy, J. M., 1991. "A comparison of heuristics and relaxations for the capacitated plant location problem," European Journal of Operational Research, Elsevier, vol. 50(3), pages 280-297, February.
- Francisco Silva & Daniel Serra, 2008. "Incorporating waiting time in competitive location models: Formulations and heuristics," Economics Working Papers 1091, Department of Economics and Business, Universitat Pompeu Fabra.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.