An Overview of Export Processing Zones: Selected Asian Countries
AbstractThis paper surveys the literature on the performance of Export Processing Zones (EPZs) that have used benefit-cost analytical framework. Survey reveals that as industrial development proceeds, the gap between market and opportunity cost of labour narrow and the interest on EPZs tends to disappear. Interest on EPZs may hold only if the zones generate private profit to domestic shareholders. Recent policy measures of the World Trade Organisation may eventually result in lower rates of private returns and may possible threat to the existing and new EPZs.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by School of Economics, University of Wollongong, NSW, Australia in its series Economics Working Papers with number wp02-03.
Length: 26 pages
Date of creation: 2002
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: School of Economics, University of Wollongong, Northfields Avenue, Wollongong NSW 2522 Australia
Phone: +612 4221-3659
Fax: +612 4221-3725
Web page: http://business.uow.edu.au/econ/index.html
More information through EDIRC
Export Processing Zones;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2002-06-13 (All new papers)
- NEP-DEV-2002-06-13 (Development)
- NEP-SEA-2002-04-03 (South East Asia)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- K. Jayanthakumaran & John Weiss, 1997. "Export Processing Zones in Sri Lanka: A Cost-Benefit Appraisal," Journal of International Development, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 9(5), pages 727-737.
- Johansson, Helena & Nilsson, Lars, 1997. "Export processing zones as catalysts," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 25(12), pages 2115-2128, December.
- Warr, Peter G, 1989. "Export Processing Zones: The Economics of Enclave Manufacturing," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, vol. 4(1), pages 65-88, January.
- Willmore, Larry, 1995. "Export processing zones in the Dominican Republic: A comment on Kaplinsky," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 23(3), pages 529-535, March.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Peter Siminski).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.