Export processing zones and growth triangle development: the case of the BIMP-EAGA, Southeast Asia
AbstractExorts processing zones (EPZs) and growth triangles have been two common Asian initiatives to increase wealth and regional competitiveness in the world economy. Since they are seldom analysed jointly, this paper investigates their mutuality in the development process. Taking the problematic case of the Brunei-Indonesia-Malaysia-Philippines East ASEAN Growth Area (BIMP-EAGA) triangle, we explore the role of EPZs in enhancing regional collaboration, competitiveness, and domestic linkages. Despite the triangle's weak economic complementarities, its processing zones are found capable of advancing development by furthering opportunities in regionalisation|localisation of production. Latterly, trade and investment liberalisation within ASEAN raises broad questions about the rationale of EPZs and growth triangles. Zone-triangle nexuses will require rethinking as, under different regulatory conditions, the zones compete more directly across ASEAN and also with global rivals. Copyright © 2005 John Wiley & Sons, Ltd.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by John Wiley & Sons, Ltd. in its journal Journal of International Development.
Volume (Year): 17 (2005)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www3.interscience.wiley.com/journal/5102/home
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Hamada, Koichi, 1974. "An economic analysis of the duty-free zone," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 4(3), pages 225-241, August.
- repec:sae:niesru:v:149:y::i:1:p:30-52 is not listed on IDEAS
- Young, Leslie & Miyagiwa, Kaz F., 1987. "Unemployment and the formation of duty-free zones," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 26(2), pages 397-405, August.
- Young, Leslie, 1991. "Unemployment and the optimal export-processing zone," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 37(1-2), pages 369-385, November.
- Johansson, Helena & Nilsson, Lars, 1997. "Export processing zones as catalysts," World Development, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 25(12), pages 2115-2128, December.
- Young, Leslie, 1987. "Intermediate goods and the formation of duty-free zones," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 25(2), pages 369-384, April.
- Romer, Paul, 1993. "Idea gaps and object gaps in economic development," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 32(3), pages 543-573, December.
- Kreye O & Heinrichs J & Frobel F, 1987. "Export processing zones in developing countries : results of a new survey," ILO Working Papers, International Labour Organization 251095, International Labour Organization.
- Nijkamp, P. & Abreu, M., 2009.
"Regional development theory,"
Serie Research Memoranda, VU University Amsterdam, Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Econometrics
0029, VU University Amsterdam, Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Econometrics.
- Nijkamp, P. & Abreu, M., 2009. "Regional development theory," Serie Research Memoranda, VU University Amsterdam, Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Econometrics 0029, VU University Amsterdam, Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Econometrics.
- Warr, Peter G, 1989. "Export Processing Zones: The Economics of Enclave Manufacturing," World Bank Research Observer, World Bank Group, World Bank Group, vol. 4(1), pages 65-88, January.
- Plummer, Michael G., 2006. "Toward Win-Win Regionalism in Asia: Issues and Challenges in Forming Efficient Trade Agreements," Working Papers on Regional Economic Integration, Asian Development Bank 5, Asian Development Bank.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Wiley-Blackwell Digital Licensing) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.