Entrepreneurship, Development, and the Spatial Context Retrospect and Prospect
AbstractEntrepreneurship has been a topical issue in the business administration literature, but in the past decade a wave of interest can be observed on the role of entrepreneurship in the economic growth literature. This paper aims to highlight the various contributions to the entrepreneurship literature from the perspective of regional economic development. After a broad overview, particular attention is given to the regional action space of entrepreneurs, including their social and spatial network involvement. The paper concludes with a future research agenda.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER) in its series Working Paper Series with number UNU-WIDER Research Paper RP2009/08.
Date of creation: 2009
Date of revision:
entrepreneurship; regional growth; action space; networks; SME; virtual organization; innovation;
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-08-02 (All new papers)
- NEP-ENT-2009-08-02 (Entrepreneurship)
- NEP-GEO-2009-08-02 (Economic Geography)
- NEP-SBM-2009-08-02 (Small Business Management)
- NEP-SOC-2009-08-02 (Social Norms & Social Capital)
- NEP-URE-2009-08-02 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Richard E. Caves, 1998. "Industrial Organization and New Findings on the Turnover and Mobility of Firms," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 36(4), pages 1947-1982, December.
- Fischer, M.M. & Nijkamp, P., 2009. "Entrepreneurship and Regional Development," Serie Research Memoranda 0035, VU University Amsterdam, Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Econometrics.
- McGrath, Rita Gunther & MacMillan, Ian C. & Scheinberg, Sari, 1992. "Elitists, risk-takers, and rugged individualists? An exploratory analysis of cultural differences between entrepreneurs and non-entrepreneurs," Journal of Business Venturing, Elsevier, vol. 7(2), pages 115-135, March.
- Schultz, Theodore W, 1980. " Investment in Entrepreneurial Ability," Scandinavian Journal of Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 82(4), pages 437-48.
- Sam Youl Lee & Richard Florida & Zoltan Acs, 2004.
"Creativity and Entrepreneurship: A Regional Analysis of New Firm Formation,"
Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 38(8), pages 879-891.
- Richard Florida & Zoltan Acs & Sam Youl Lee, 2004. "Creativity and Entrepreneurship: A Regional Analysis of New Firm Formation," Papers on Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy 2004-17, Max Planck Institute of Economics, Entrepreneurship, Growth and Public Policy Group.
- Kolko, Jed, 2002.
"Silicon mountains, silicon molehills: geographic concentration and convergence of internet industries in the US,"
Information Economics and Policy,
Elsevier, vol. 14(2), pages 211-232, June.
- Kolko, Jed, 2001. "Silicon Mountains, Silicon Molehills. Geographic Concentration and Convergence of Internet Industries in the US," Working Paper Series UNU-WIDER Research Paper , World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Wennekers, Sander & Thurik, Roy, 1999. " Linking Entrepreneurship and Economic Growth," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 13(1), pages 27-55, August.
- Borjas, George J, 1992.
"Ethnic Capital and Intergenerational Mobility,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 107(1), pages 123-50, February.
- Stefano Breschi, 2000. "The Geography of Innovation: A Cross-sector Analysis," Regional Studies, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 34(3), pages 213-229.
- Chiswick, Barry R & Miller, Paul M, 1996. "Ethnic Networks and Language Proficiency among Immigrants," Journal of Population Economics, Springer, vol. 9(1), pages 19-35, February.
- Barro, R.J., 1989.
"Economic Growth In A Cross Section Of Countries,"
RCER Working Papers
201, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Manfred M. Fischer & Thomas Scherngell & Eva Jansenberger, 2005. "The Geography of Knowledge Spillovers between High-Technology Firms in Europe - Evidence from a Spatial Interaction Modelling Perspective," ERSA conference papers ersa05p5, European Regional Science Association.
- Roberta Capello, 2002. "Entrepreneurship and spatial externalities: Theory and measurement," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 36(3), pages 387-402.
- Manfred M. Fischer & Attila Varga, 2003. "Spatial knowledge spillovers and university research: Evidence from Austria," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 37(2), pages 303-322, 05.
- Stephen Roper, 2001. "Innovation, Networks and Plant Location: Some Evidence for Ireland," Regional Studies, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 35(3), pages 215-228.
- Hadewijch van Delft & Cees Gorter & Peter Nijkamp, 2000.
"In search of ethnic entrepreneurship opportunities in the city: a comparative policy study,"
Environment and Planning C: Government and Policy,
Pion Ltd, London, vol. 18(4), pages 429-451, August.
- Hadewijch van Delft & Cees Gorter & Peter Nijkamp, 1999. "In Search of Ethnic Entrepreneurship Opportunities in the City - A Comparative Policy Study," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 99-059/3, Tinbergen Institute.
- Roger R. Stough, 2003. "Strategic management of places and policy," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 37(2), pages 179-201, 05.
- Mehlum, Halvor & Moene, Karl & Torvik, Ragnar, 2003.
"Predator or prey?: Parasitic enterprises in economic development,"
European Economic Review,
Elsevier, vol. 47(2), pages 275-294, April.
- Mehlum,H. & Moene,K. & Torvik,R., 2000. "Predator or prey? : parasitic enterprises in economic development," Memorandum 27/2000, Oslo University, Department of Economics.
- Peter Nijkamp, 2003.
"Entrepreneurship in a Modern Network Economy,"
Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 37(4), pages 395-405.
- Baycan-Levent, Tuzin & Nijkamp, Peter & Sahin, Mediha, 2007. "New Orientations in Ethnic Entrepreneurship: Motivation, Goals and Strategies of New Generation Ethnic Entrepreneurs," Serie Research Memoranda 0012, VU University Amsterdam, Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Econometrics.
- Capello, R. & Nijkamp, P., 2009. "Regional growth and development theories revisited," Serie Research Memoranda 0022, VU University Amsterdam, Faculty of Economics, Business Administration and Econometrics.
- Lars-Hendrik Röller & Leonard Waverman, 1996.
"Telecommunications Infrastructure and Economic Development: A Simultaneous Approach,"
CIG Working Papers
FS IV 96-16, Wissenschaftszentrum Berlin (WZB), Research Unit: Competition and Innovation (CIG).
- Lars-Hendrik Roller & Leonard Waverman, 2001. "Telecommunications Infrastructure and Economic Development: A Simultaneous Approach," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 91(4), pages 909-923, September.
- Röller, Lars-Hendrik & Waverman, Leonard, 2000. "Telecommunications Infrastructure And Economic Development: A Simultaneous Approach," CEPR Discussion Papers 2399, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Kormendi, Roger C. & Meguire, Philip G., 1985. "Macroeconomic determinants of growth: Cross-country evidence," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 16(2), pages 141-163, September.
- Carree, Martin A. & Thurik, A. Roy, 2003. "The impact of entrepreneurship on economic growth," Open Access publications from Maastricht University urn:nbn:nl:ui:27-3884, Maastricht University.
- Enno Masurel & Peter Nijkamp, 2002.
"Motivations and Performance Conditions for Ethnic Entrepreneurship,"
Growth and Change,
Gatton College of Business and Economics, University of Kentucky, vol. 33(2), pages 238-260.
- Enno Masurel & Peter Nijkamp & Murat Tastan & Gabriella Vindigni, 2001. "Motivations and Performance Conditions for Ethnic Entrepreneurship," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 01-048/3, Tinbergen Institute.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Bruck Tadesse).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.