The structure of R&D collaboration networks in the European Framework Programmes
AbstractUsing a large and novel data source, we study the structure of R&D collaboration net-works in the first five EU Framework Programmes (FPs). The networks display proper-ties typical for complex networks, including scale-free degree distributions and the small-world property. Structural features are common across FPs, indicating similar network formation mechanisms despite changes in governance rules. Several findings point towards the existence of a stable core of interlinked actors since the early FPs with integration increasing over time. This core consists mainly of universities and research organisations. We observe assortative mixing by degree of projects, but not by degree of organisations. Unexpectedly, we find only weak association between central projects and project size, suggesting that different types of projects attract different groups of actors. In particular, large projects appear to have included few of the pivotal actors in the networks studied. Central projects only partially mirror funding priorities, indicating field-specific differences in network structures. The paper concludes with an agenda for future research.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by United Nations University - Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT) in its series MERIT Working Papers with number 036.
Date of creation: 2006
Date of revision:
R&D collaboration; EU Framework Programmes; Complex Networks; Small World Effect; Centrality Measures; European Research Area;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L14 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Transactional Relationships; Contracts and Reputation
- O38 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Government Policy
- Z13 - Other Special Topics - - Cultural Economics - - - Economic Sociology; Economic Anthropology; Social and Economic Stratification
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Cowan, R. & Jonard, N., 2003.
"The dynamics of collective invention,"
Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 52(4), pages 513-532, December.
- Cowan,Robin & Jonard,Nicolas, 1999.
"Network Structure and the Diffusion of Knowledge,"
026, Maastricht University, Maastricht Economic Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Cowan, Robin & Jonard, Nicolas, 2004. "Network structure and the diffusion of knowledge," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 28(8), pages 1557-1575, June.
- Hagedoorn, John & Link, Albert N. & Vonortas, Nicholas S., 2000. "Research partnerships1," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 29(4-5), pages 567-586, April.
- Hodgson, Geoffrey M., 1998. "Competence and contract in the theory of the firm," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 35(2), pages 179-201, April.
- Yannis Caloghirou & Nicholas S Vonortas & Stavros Ioannides, 2002. "Science and technology policies towards research joint ventures," Science and Public Policy, Oxford University Press, Oxford University Press, vol. 29(2), pages 82-94, April.
- M. Goldstein & S. Morris & G. Yen, 2004. "Problems with fitting to the power-law distribution," The European Physical Journal B - Condensed Matter and Complex Systems, Springer, Springer, vol. 41(2), pages 255-258, 09.
- Stefano Breschi & Lucia Cusmano, 2002. "Unveiling the Texture of a European Research Area: Emergence of Oligarchic Networks under EU Framework Programmes," KITeS Working Papers, KITeS, Centre for Knowledge, Internationalization and Technology Studies, Universita' Bocconi, Milano, Italy 130, KITeS, Centre for Knowledge, Internationalization and Technology Studies, Universita' Bocconi, Milano, Italy, revised Jul 2002.
- Cowan,Robin & Jonard,Nicolas & Özman,Müge, 2003. "Knowledge Dynamics in a Network Industry," Research Memorandum 003, Maastricht University, Maastricht Economic Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Barajas, A & Huergo, E & Moreno, L, 2009.
"Measuring the impact of international R&D cooperation: the case of Spanish firms participating in the EU Framework Programme,"
23610, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ascension Barajas & Elena Huergo & Lourdes Moreno, 2012. "Measuring the economic impact of research joint ventures supported by the EU Framework Programme," The Journal of Technology Transfer, Springer, Springer, vol. 37(6), pages 917-942, December.
- Singh, Lakhwinder & Singh, Baldev, 2009. "National Innovation System in the Era of Liberalization: Implications for Science and Technology Policy for Developing Economies," MPRA Paper 15432, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Annalisa Caloffi & Federica Rossi & Margherita Russo, 2013. "Does participation in innovation networks improve firms' relational abilities? Evidence from a regional policy framework," DRUID Working Papers 13-07, DRUID, Copenhagen Business School, Department of Industrial Economics and Strategy/Aalborg University, Department of Business Studies.
- Roediger-Schluga, Thomas & Dachs, Bernhard, 2006. "Does technology affect network structure? - A quantitative analysis of collaborative research projects in two specific EU programmes," MERIT Working Papers 041, United Nations University - Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Roediger-Schluga, Thomas & Barber, Michael J., 2007. "R&D collaboration networks in the European FrameworkProgrammes: Data processing, network construction and selected results," MERIT Working Papers 032, United Nations University - Maastricht Economic and Social Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
- Guffarth, Daniel & Barber, Michael J., 2013. "The European aerospace R&D collaboration network," FZID Discussion Papers 84-2013, University of Hohenheim, Center for Research on Innovation and Services (FZID).
- Prostolupow, Irene & Pyka, Andreas & Heller-Schuh, Barbara, 2013. "Turkish-German innovation networks in the European research landscape," FZID Discussion Papers 79-2013, University of Hohenheim, Center for Research on Innovation and Services (FZID).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ad Notten).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.