Measuring the economic impact of research joint ventures supported by the EU Framework Programme
AbstractThe objective of this paper is to analyse the effects of international R&D cooperation on firms’ economic performance. Our approach, based on a complete data set with information about Spanish participants in research joint ventures supported by the EU Framework Programme during the period 1995–2005, establishes a recursive model structure to capture the relationship between R&D cooperation, knowledge generation and economic results, which are measured by labour productivity. In the analysis we take into account that the participation in this specific type of cooperative projects implies a selection process that includes both the self-selection by participants to join the consortia and the selection of projects by the European Commission to award the public aid. Empirical analysis has confirmed that: (1) R&D cooperation has a positive impact on the technological capacity of firms, captured through intangible fixed assets and (2) the technological capacity of firms is positively related to their productivity. Copyright Springer Science+Business Media, LLC 2012
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal The Journal of Technology Transfer.
Volume (Year): 37 (2012)
Issue (Month): 6 (December)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=104998
International R&D cooperation; Framework Programme; Impact assessment; H81; L2; O3;
Other versions of this item:
- Barajas, A & Huergo, E & Moreno, L, 2009. "Measuring the impact of international R&D cooperation: the case of Spanish firms participating in the EU Framework Programme," MPRA Paper 23610, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- L2 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior
- H81 - Public Economics - - Miscellaneous Issues - - - Governmental Loans; Loan Guarantees; Credits; Grants; Bailouts
- O3 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Stefano Breschi & Lucia Cusmano, 2002. "Unveiling the Texture of a European Research Area: Emergence of Oligarchic Networks under EU Framework Programmes," KITeS Working Papers 130, KITeS, Centre for Knowledge, Internationalization and Technology Studies, Universita' Bocconi, Milano, Italy, revised Jul 2002.
- Zvi Griliches, 1998.
"Productivity and R&D at the Firm Level,"
in: R&D and Productivity: The Econometric Evidence, pages 100-133
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Dekker, Ronald & kleinknecht, A.H., 2008. "The EU Framework Programs: Are they worth doing?," MPRA Paper 8503, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Aschhoff, Birgit & Schmidt, Tobias, 2006.
"Empirical evidence on the success of R&D co-operation: Happy together?,"
ZEW Discussion Papers
06-59, ZEW - Zentrum für Europäische Wirtschaftsforschung / Center for European Economic Research.
- Birgit Aschhoff & Tobias Schmidt, 2008. "Empirical Evidence on the Success of R&D Cooperation—Happy Together?," Review of Industrial Organization, Springer, vol. 33(1), pages 41-62, August.
- Bruno Cassiman & Reinhilde Veugelers, 2002. "R&D Cooperation and Spillovers: Some Empirical Evidence from Belgium," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 92(4), pages 1169-1184, September.
- Luukkonen, Terttu, 2000. "Additionality of EU framework programmes1," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 29(6), pages 711-724, June.
- Benfratello, Luigi & Sembenelli, Alessandro, 2002. "Research joint ventures and firm level performance," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(4), pages 493-507, May.
- J. Vicente Blanes & Isabel Busom, 2004.
"WHO PARTICIPATES IN R&D SUBSIDY PROGRAMS?. The case of Spanish Manufacturing Firms,"
wpdea0407, Department of Applied Economics at Universitat Autonoma of Barcelona.
- Blanes, J. Vicente & Busom, Isabel, 2004. "Who participates in R&D subsidy programs?: The case of Spanish manufacturing firms," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(10), pages 1459-1476, December.
- Ascension Barajas & Elena Huergo, 2010. "International R&D cooperation within the EU Framework Programme: empirical evidence for Spanish firms," Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(1), pages 87-111.
- Luukkonen, Terttu, 1998. "The difficulties in assessing the impact of EU framework programmes," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 27(6), pages 599-610, September.
- Roediger-Schluga, Thomas & Barber, Michael J., 2006. "The structure of R&D collaboration networks in the European Framework Programmes," UNU-MERIT Working Paper Series 036, United Nations University, Maastricht Economic and social Research and training centre on Innovation and Technology.
- Laura Abramovsky & Elisabeth Kremp & Alberto López & Tobias Schmidt & Helen Simpson, 2005. "Understanding co-operative R&D activity: evidence from four European countries," IFS Working Papers W05/23, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Belderbos, Rene & Carree, Martin & Diederen, Bert & Lokshin, Boris & Veugelers, Reinhilde, 2004.
"Heterogeneity in R&D cooperation strategies,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 22(8-9), pages 1237-1263, November.
- Barajas, A. & Huergo, E. & Moreno, L., 2012. "The Impact of International Research Joint Ventures on SMEs Performance," MPRA Paper 36306, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Luis Aguiar & Philippe Gagnepain, 2012.
"European cooperative R&D and firm performance,"
Economics Working Papers
we1207, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía.
- Luis Aguiar & Philippe Gagnepain, 2011. "European Cooperative R&D And Firm Performance," UniversitÃ© Paris1 PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) hal-00622969, HAL.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.