The Impact of International Research Joint Ventures on SMEs Performance
AbstractThe objective of the present study is to analyse the effect of technological cooperation on SMEs performance consideringtwo dimensions: technological and economic results. For that purpose, we use a data set containing information about participants in research joint ventures supported by the SME-specific measures of the sixth Framework Programme. Empirical evidence corroborates a direct and positive impact on technological assets of participants. On the part of the economic indicators, EBITDA per employee and sales are positively influenced by the improvement of technological background. The same results are found for productivity. All those effects are effective in the medium term, confirming that SMEs use to be involved in market-oriented R&D projects.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 36306.
Date of creation: 30 Jan 2012
Date of revision:
research joint ventures; SMEs; impact assessment;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L2 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior
- H81 - Public Economics - - Miscellaneous Issues - - - Governmental Loans; Loan Guarantees; Credits; Grants; Bailouts
- O3 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-02-20 (All new papers)
- NEP-CSE-2012-02-20 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-INO-2012-02-20 (Innovation)
- NEP-PPM-2012-02-20 (Project, Program & Portfolio Management)
- NEP-SBM-2012-02-20 (Small Business Management)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Ascension Barajas & Elena Huergo & Lourdes Moreno, 2012.
"Measuring the economic impact of research joint ventures supported by the EU Framework Programme,"
The Journal of Technology Transfer,
Springer, vol. 37(6), pages 917-942, December.
- Barajas, A & Huergo, E & Moreno, L, 2009. "Measuring the impact of international R&D cooperation: the case of Spanish firms participating in the EU Framework Programme," MPRA Paper 23610, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Luis Aguiar & Philippe Gagnepain, 2011.
"European Cooperative R&D And Firm Performance,"
UniversitÃ© Paris1 PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers)
- Michele Cincera & Lieselot Kempen & Bruno Van Pottelsberghe & Reinhilde Veugelers & Carolina Villegas Sanchez, 2003. "Productivity growth, R&D and the rôle of international collaborative agreements: some évidence for Belgian manufacturing companies," Brussels Economic Review, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles, vol. 46(3), pages 107-140.
- Marin, Pedro L. & Siotis, Georges, 2008. "Public policies towards Research Joint Venture: Institutional design and participants' characteristics," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(6-7), pages 1057-1065, July.
- Miotti, Luis & Sachwald, Frederique, 2003. "Co-operative R&D: why and with whom?: An integrated framework of analysis," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(8), pages 1481-1499, September.
- van Ark, Bart & Hao, Janet X. & Corrado, Carol & Hulten, Charles, 2009. "Measuring intangible capital and its contribution to economic growth in Europe," EIB Papers 3/2009, European Investment Bank, Economics Department.
- Benfratello, Luigi & Sembenelli, Alessandro, 2002. "Research joint ventures and firm level performance," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(4), pages 493-507, May.
- Segarra-Blasco, Agusti & Arauzo-Carod, Josep-Maria, 2008. "Sources of innovation and industry-university interaction: Evidence from Spanish firms," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(8), pages 1283-1295, September.
- Hernán, Roberto & Marín Uribe, Pedro Luis & Siotis, Georges, 2000.
"An Empirical Evaluation Of The Determinants Of Research Joint Venture Formation,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
2442, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Roberto Hern·n & Pedro L. MarÌn & Georges Siotis, 2003. "An empirical evaluation of the determinants of Research Joint Venture Formation," Journal of Industrial Economics, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 51(1), pages 75-89, 03.
- repec:dgr:umamer:2001011 is not listed on IDEAS
- Roth,Felix & Thum, Anna-Elisabeth, 2010. "Does intangible capital affect economic growth?," CEPS Papers 3667, Centre for European Policy Studies.
- Audretsch, David B & Vivarelli, Marco, 1996. " Firms Size and R&D Spillovers: Evidence from Italy," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 8(3), pages 249-58, June.
- Elena Huergo & Jordi Jaumandreu, 2004. "How Does Probability of Innovation Change with Firm Age?," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 22(3_4), pages 193-207, 04.
- Carol Corrado & John Haltiwanger & Dan Sichel, 2005. "Measuring Capital in the New Economy," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number corr05-1.
- Ascension Barajas & Elena Huergo, 2010. "International R&D cooperation within the EU Framework Programme: empirical evidence for Spanish firms," Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 19(1), pages 87-111.
- Dekker, Ronald & kleinknecht, A.H., 2008. "The EU Framework Programs: Are they worth doing?," MPRA Paper 8503, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Lourdes Moreno Martin & Diego Rodriguez Rodriguez, 2010. "Export activity, persistence and mark-ups," Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 42(4), pages 475-488.
- Mowery, David C. & Oxley, Joanne E. & Silverman, Brian S., 1998. "Technological overlap and interfirm cooperation: implications for the resource-based view of the firm," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 27(5), pages 507-523, September.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.