The Community Structure of R&D Cooperation in Europe. Evidence from a social networks perspective
AbstractThe focus of this paper is on pre-competitive R&D cooperation across Europe, as captured by R&D joint ventures funded by the European Commission in the time period 2002-2006, within the 5th Framework Program. The cooperations in this Framework Program give rise to a collaborative network, with network nodes representing actors (i.e. organizations including firms, universities, research organizations and public agencies) and network edges representing R&D projects. With this construction, participating actors are linked only through joint projects. We formally describe and analyze the network from a social networks perspective that shifts attention to the detection and analysis of the community structure within the network. Distinct communities within networks may be loosely defined as groups of actors such that there is a higher density of relations within groups than between them. In this study, we attempt to detect communities of actors solely on the basis of the relational structure within the network, and to characterize and differentiate the identified network communities by means of information-theoretic methods, community-specific profiles and the location of their major actors. We expect the results to enrich our picture of the European research area by providing new insights into the global and local structures of R&D cooperation across Europe.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by European Regional Science Association in its series ERSA conference papers with number ersa10p615.
Date of creation: Sep 2011
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Welthandelsplatz 1, 1020 Vienna, Austria
Web page: http://www.ersa.org
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-07-29 (All new papers)
- NEP-INO-2012-07-29 (Innovation)
- NEP-NET-2012-07-29 (Network Economics)
- NEP-PPM-2012-07-29 (Project, Program & Portfolio Management)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Iris WanzenbÃ¶ck & Thomas Scherngell & Thomas Brenner, 2013. "Embeddedness of regions in European knowledge networks. A comparative analysis of inter-regional R and D collaborations, co-patents and co-publications," Working Papers on Innovation and Space 2013-07, Philipps University Marburg, Department of Geography.
- Michael Barber & Thomas Scherngell, 2011. "Is the European R&D network homogeneous? spatial interaction modeling of network communities determined using graph theoretic methods," ERSA conference papers ersa11p392, European Regional Science Association.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gunther Maier).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.