Is the European R&D network homogeneous? spatial interaction modeling of network communities determined using graph theoretic methods
AbstractInteractions between firms, universities, and research organizations are crucial for successful innovation in the modern knowledge-based economy. Systems of such interactions constitute R&D networks. R&D networks may be meaningful segmented using recent methods for identifying communities, subnetworks whose members are more tightly linked to one another than to other members of the network. In this paper, we identify such communities in the European R&D network using data on joint research projects funded by the fifth European Framework Programme. We characterize the identified communities according to their thematic orientation and spatial structure. By means of a Poisson spatial interaction model, we estimate the impact of various separation factors â€“ such as geographical distance â€“ on the variation of cross-region collaboration activities in a given community. The European coverage is achieved by using data on 255 NUTS-2 regions of the 25 pre-2007 EU member-states, as well as Norway and Switzerland. The results demonstrate that European R&D networks are not homogeneous, instead showing relevant community substructures with distinct thematic and spatial properties.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by European Regional Science Association in its series ERSA conference papers with number ersa11p392.
Date of creation: Sep 2011
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Welthandelsplatz 1, 1020 Vienna, Austria
Web page: http://www.ersa.org
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-11-14 (All new papers)
- NEP-EUR-2011-11-14 (Microeconomic European Issues)
- NEP-INO-2011-11-14 (Innovation)
- NEP-NET-2011-11-14 (Network Economics)
- NEP-SBM-2011-11-14 (Small Business Management)
- NEP-URE-2011-11-14 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Paul M Romer, 1999.
"Endogenous Technological Change,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
2135, David K. Levine.
- Jerome Vicente & Pierre Balland & Olivier Brossard, 2011. "Getting into Networks and Clusters: Evidence from the Midi-Pyrenean Global Navigation Satellite Systems (GNSS) Collaboration Network," Regional Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 45(8), pages 1059-1078.
- Manfred M. Fischer, 2001.
"Innovation, knowledge creation and systems of innovation,"
The Annals of Regional Science,
Springer, vol. 35(2), pages 199-216.
- Fischer, Manfred M. & Fröhlich, Joseph & Gassler, Helmut & Varga, Attila, 2000. "Innovation, Knowledge Creation And Systems Of Innovation," ERSA conference papers ersa00p43, European Regional Science Association.
- Anne Ter Wal & Ron Boschma, 2009. "Applying social network analysis in economic geography: framing some key analytic issues," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 43(3), pages 739-756, September.
- Gallié, Emilie-Pauline, 2009. "Is Geographical Proximity Necessary for Knowledge Spillovers within a Cooperative Technological Network? The Case of the French Biotechnology Sector," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/6955, Paris Dauphine University.
- Thomas Scherngell & Manfred M. Fischer & Martin Reismann, 2007. "Total factor productivity effects of interregional knowledge spillovers in manufacturing industries across Europe," Romanian Journal of Regional Science, Romanian Regional Science Association, vol. 1(1), pages 1-16, December.
- Michael J. Barber & Manfred M. Fischer & Thomas Scherngell, 2011. "The Community Structure of R&D Cooperation in Europe. Evidence from a social networks perspective," ERSA conference papers ersa10p615, European Regional Science Association.
- Jarno Hoekman & Koen Frenken & Frank van Oort, 2008.
"The geography of collaborative knowledge production in Europe,"
KITeS Working Papers
214, KITeS, Centre for Knowledge, Internationalization and Technology Studies, Universita' Bocconi, Milano, Italy, revised Feb 2008.
- Jarno Hoekman & Koen Frenken & Frank Oort, 2009. "The geography of collaborative knowledge production in Europe," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 43(3), pages 721-738, September.
- M. Ozman, 2009. "Inter-firm networks and innovation: a survey of literature," Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 18(1), pages 39-67.
- Corinne Autant-Bernard & Jacques Mairesse & Nadine Massard, 2007. "Spatial knowledge diffusion through collaborative networks," Papers in Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 86(3), pages 341-350, 08.
- James P. LeSage & Manfred M. Fischer & Thomas Scherngell, 2007. "Knowledge spillovers across Europe: Evidence from a Poisson spatial interaction model with spatial effects," Papers in Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 86(3), pages 393-421, 08.
- Peter Thompson, 2004.
"Patent Citations and the Geography of Knowledge Spillovers: Evidence from Inventor- and Examiner-Added Citations,"
0405, Florida International University, Department of Economics, revised Jun 2005.
- Peter Thompson, 2006. "Patent Citations and the Geography of Knowledge Spillovers: Evidence from Inventor- and Examiner-added Citations," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 88(2), pages 383-388, May.
- Frank Van Oort & Roderik Ponds & Koen Frenken, 2006. "The Geographical and Institutional Proximity of Scientific Collaboration Networks," ERSA conference papers ersa06p762, European Regional Science Association.
- Hagedoorn, John & van Kranenburg, Hans, 2003. "Growth patterns in R&D partnerships: an exploratory statistical study," International Journal of Industrial Organization, Elsevier, vol. 21(4), pages 517-531, April.
- Hoekman, Jarno & Frenken, Koen & Tijssen, Robert J.W., 2010. "Research collaboration at a distance: Changing spatial patterns of scientific collaboration within Europe," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(5), pages 662-673, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Gunther Maier).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.