Inter-firm networks and innovation: a survey of literature
AbstractThis survey covers the recent literature on inter-firm networks as far as they have implications for innovation and technological change. The studies are classified according to the direction of causality in network studies. In the literature, some studies focus on the effect of networks, while others on the origins and formation of networks. These are represented as a circular flow diagram of network research. Circular diagram includes three themes of analysis as: (1) origins of networks, (2) firm performance, (3) network structure, and shows the relationship between these themes as observed in network research. The aim of this survey is to guide researchers working on inter-firm networks about the theoretical and empirical results obtained up to now in the field and to highlight those areas which need further work.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Economics of Innovation and New Technology.
Volume (Year): 18 (2009)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/GEIN20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Fernandes, Cristina & Ferreira, João & Marques, Carla, 2011. "KIBS Innovation Management Capability in Rural Portuguese Regions: Empirical Evidence," MPRA Paper 47005, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Kuhne, Bianka & Cochez, Carl & Gellynck, Xavier, 2011. "Network Experiences Lead to the Adaption of a Firm’s Network Competence," International Journal on Food System Dynamics, International Center for Management, Communication, and Research, vol. 2(2).
- Muhamed Kudic & Andreas Pyka & Jutta Günther, 2012. "Determinants of Evolutionary Change Processes in Innovation Networks – Empirical Evidence from the German Laser Industry," IWH Discussion Papers 7, Halle Institute for Economic Research.
- Barge-Gil, Andrés, 2011. "Open strategies and innovation performance," MPRA Paper 31298, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Pierre-Alexandre Balland & Mathijs de Vaan & Ron Boschma, 2011. "The Dynamics of Interfirm Networks along the Industry Life Cycle: The Case of the Global Video Games Industry 1987-2007," Papers in Evolutionary Economic Geography (PEEG) 1114, Utrecht University, Section of Economic Geography, revised Aug 2011.
- Ron Boschma & Pierre-Alexandre Balland & Dieter Kogler, 2011. "A relational approach to knowledge spillovers in biotech. Network structures as drivers of inter-organizational citation patterns," Papers in Evolutionary Economic Geography (PEEG) 1120, Utrecht University, Section of Economic Geography, revised Dec 2011.
- Cristiano, Antonelli & Ferraris, Gianluigi, 2009. "Innovation as an Emerging System Property: an Agent Based Model," Department of Economics and Statistics Cognetti de Martiis LEI & BRICK - Laboratory of Economics of Innovation "Franco Momigliano", Bureau of Research in Innovation, Complexity and Knowledge, Collegio 200911, University of Turin.
- Muhamed Kudic & Katja Guhr, 2013. "Cooperation Events, Ego-Network Characteristics and Firm Innovativeness – Empirical Evidence from the German Laser Industry," IWH Discussion Papers 6, Halle Institute for Economic Research.
- Christoph Hornych & Matthias Brachert, 2010. "Determinanten der Vernetzung von Unternehmen der deutschen Photovoltaik-Industrie," IWH Discussion Papers 20, Halle Institute for Economic Research.
- Faridah Djellal & FaÏz Gallouj, 2012. "Les réseaux d'innovation public-privé dans les services (RIPPS) ne sont pas des réseaux d'innovation (RI) comme les autres : quels enseignements pour les politiques publiques ?," Working Papers halshs-00657601, HAL.
- Andrea Morescalchi & Fabio Pammolli & Orion Penner & Petersen Alexander M., 2013. "Networks of innovators within and across borders. Evidence from patent data," Working Papers 4/2013, IMT Institute for Advanced Studies Lucca, revised Aug 2013.
- Mata, José & Woerter, Martin, 2013. "Risky innovation: The impact of internal and external R&D strategies upon the distribution of returns," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 42(2), pages 495-501.
- Roel Rutten & Irawati Dessy, 2011. "Knowledge Creation In Temporary Regional Networks," ERSA conference papers ersa10p535, European Regional Science Association.
- Musiolik, Jörg & Markard, Jochen, 2011. "Creating and shaping innovation systems: Formal networks in the innovation system for stationary fuel cells in Germany," Energy Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(4), pages 1909-1922, April.
- Michael Barber & Thomas Scherngell, 2011. "Is the European R&D network homogeneous? spatial interaction modeling of network communities determined using graph theoretic methods," ERSA conference papers ersa11p392, European Regional Science Association.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.