Dealing with Demand Forecasting Games in Transport Privatization
AbstractPrivatization has increased the number of players in the decision-making process for major transport investment decisions. The main argument of this paper is that this fragmentation is creating opportunities for strategic decision-making by each actor and that this is particularly obvious in the context of demand forecasting. This paper explores some of the specific causes and consequences of this new situation, including the perverse incentives, linked to the diversity of the objectives across the actors and to the risk allocation induced by the regulatory regime. It illustrates the issues and possible solutions from a wide range of modal and country experiences. In particular, it discusses the role of the newly independent sector regulators in reconciling these diverse goals and their limitations in view of the major information asymmetries problems they face.
Download InfoTo our knowledge, this item is not available for download. To find whether it is available, there are three options:
1. Check below under "Related research" whether another version of this item is available online.
2. Check on the provider's web page whether it is in fact available.
3. Perform a search for a similarly titled item that would be available.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles in its series ULB Institutional Repository with number 2013/43981.
Date of creation: Oct 2002
Date of revision:
Publication status: Published in: Transport policy (2002) v.9 n° 4,p.325-333
Other versions of this item:
- Trujillo, Lourdes & Quinet, Emile & Estache, Antonio, 2002. "Dealing with demand forecasting games in transport privatization," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 9(4), pages 325-334, October.
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Antonio Estache & C. Crampes, 1998.
"Regulatory Trade-offs in Designing Concession Contracts for Infrastructure Networks,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/44014, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Crampes, Claude & Estache, Antonio, 1997. "Regulatory tradeoffs in designing concession contracts for infrastructure networks," Policy Research Working Paper Series 1854, The World Bank.
- Eduardo Engel & Ronald Fischer & Alexander Galetovic, 1997.
"Highway Franchising: Pitfalls and Opportunities,"
Documentos de Trabajo
15, Centro de Economía Aplicada, Universidad de Chile.
- Skamris, Mette K. & Flyvbjerg, Bent, 1997. "Inaccuracy of traffic forecasts and cost estimates on large transport projects," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 4(3), pages 141-146, July.
- Eduardo M. R. A. Engel & Ronald D. Fischer & Alexander Galetovic, 2001.
"Least-Present-Value-of-Revenue Auctions and Highway Franchising,"
Journal of Political Economy,
University of Chicago Press, vol. 109(5), pages 993-1020, October.
- Eduardo Engel & Ronald Fischer & Alexander Galetovic, 1998. "Least-Present-Value-of-Revenue Auctions and Highway Franchising," Documentos de Trabajo 37, Centro de Economía Aplicada, Universidad de Chile.
- Eduardo M.R.A. Engel & Ronald D. Fischer & Alexander Galetovic, 1998. "Least-Present-Value-of-Revenue Auctions and Highway Franchising," NBER Working Papers 6689, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Antonio Estache, 2001. "Privatization and Regulation of Transport Infrastructure in the 1990s'," ULB Institutional Repository 2013/43998, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Antonio Estache & Tomas Serebrisky, 2004.
"Where do We Stand on Transport Infrastructure Deregulation and Public-Private Partnerships?,"
ULB Institutional Repository
2013/44096, ULB -- Universite Libre de Bruxelles.
- Estache, Antonio & Serebrisky, Tomas, 2004. "Where do we stand on transport infrastructure deregulation and public-private partnership?," Policy Research Working Paper Series 3356, The World Bank.
- Auriol, Emmanuelle & Picard, Pierre M., 2006.
"Infrastructure and public utilities privatization in developing countries,"
Policy Research Working Paper Series
3950, The World Bank.
- Emmanuelle Auriol & Pierre M. Picard, 2008. "Infrastructure and Public Utilities Privatization in Developing Countries," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 23(1), pages 77-100, November.
- AURIOL, Emmanuelle & PICARD, Pierre M., . "Infrastructure and public utilities privatization in developing countries," CORE Discussion Papers RP -2180, Université catholique de Louvain, Center for Operations Research and Econometrics (CORE).
- Auriol, Emmanuelle & Picard, Pierre M, 2006. "Infrastructure and Public Utilities Privatization in Developing Countries," CEPR Discussion Papers 6018, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Hensher, David A. & Goodwin, Phil, 2004. "Using values of travel time savings for toll roads: avoiding some common errors," Transport Policy, Elsevier, vol. 11(2), pages 171-181, April.
- Hensher, David A., 2008. "Influence of vehicle occupancy on the valuation of car driver's travel time savings: Identifying important behavioural segments," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 42(1), pages 67-76, January.
- Viegas, José M., 2010. "Questioning the need for full amortization in PPP contracts for transport Infrastructure," Research in Transportation Economics, Elsevier, vol. 30(1), pages 139-144.
- Grisolía, José María & Ortúzar, Juan de Dios, 2010. "Forecasting vs. observed outturn: Studying choice in faster inter-island connections," Transportation Research Part A: Policy and Practice, Elsevier, vol. 44(3), pages 159-168, March.
- Chantal C. Cantarelli & Bent Flybjerg & Eric J. E. Molin & Bert van Wee, 2013. "Cost overruns in Large-Scale Transportation Infrastructure Projects: Explanations and Their Theoretical Embeddedness," Papers 1307.2176, arXiv.org.
- Morasch, Karl & Tóth, Rita Orsolya, 2008. "Assigning tasks in public infrastructure projects: Specialized private agents or public private partnerships?," Working Papers in Economics 2008,2, Universität der Bundeswehr München, Economic Research Group.
- Polydoropoulou, Amalia & Roumboutsos, Athena, 2009. "Evaluating the impact of decision making during construction on transport project outcome," Evaluation and Program Planning, Elsevier, vol. 32(4), pages 369-380, November.
- Athias, Laure & Nunez, Antonio, 2008. "The more the merrier? Number of bidders, information dispersion, renegotiation and winner’s curse in toll road concessions," MPRA Paper 10539, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Benoit Pauwels).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.