A matching estimator based on a bi-level optimization problem
AbstractThis paper proposes a matching estimator where the size of the weights and the number of neighbors are endogenously determined from the solution of a bi-level optimization problem. The first level problem minimizes the distance between the characteristics of an individual and a convex combination of characteristics of individuals belonging to the corresponding counterfactual set, and with the second level we choose a solution point of the first level that minimizes the sum of the distances between the characteristics of the individual under analysis and those from the counterfactuals employed in the optimal convex combination. We show that this estimator is consistent and asymptotically normal. Finally we study its behavior in finite samples by performing Monte Carlo experiments with designs based on the related literature. In terms of bias, standard deviation and mean square error, we find significant improvements using our estimator in comparison to the simple matching estimator, widely employed in the literature.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Chile, Department of Economics in its series Working Papers with number wp351.
Length: 18 pages
Date of creation: Mar 2012
Date of revision:
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-05-22 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Imbens, Guido & Wooldridge, Jeffrey M., 2009.
"Recent Developments in the Econometrics of Program Evaluation,"
3043416, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Guido W. Imbens & Jeffrey M. Wooldridge, 2009. "Recent Developments in the Econometrics of Program Evaluation," Journal of Economic Literature, American Economic Association, vol. 47(1), pages 5-86, March.
- Guido Imbens & Jeffrey Wooldridge, 2008. "Recent developments in the econometrics of program evaluation," CeMMAP working papers CWP24/08, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Imbens, Guido W. & Wooldridge, Jeffrey M., 2008. "Recent Developments in the Econometrics of Program Evaluation," IZA Discussion Papers 3640, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Guido M. Imbens & Jeffrey M. Wooldridge, 2008. "Recent Developments in the Econometrics of Program Evaluation," NBER Working Papers 14251, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Imbens, Guido & Abadie, Alberto, 2008.
"On the Failure of the Bootstrap for Matching Estimators,"
3043415, Harvard University Department of Economics.
- Alberto Abadie & Guido W. Imbens, 2008. "On the Failure of the Bootstrap for Matching Estimators," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 76(6), pages 1537-1557, November.
- Alberto Abadie & Guido W. Imbens, 2006. "On the Failure of the Bootstrap for Matching Estimators," NBER Technical Working Papers 0325, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- de Luna, Xavier & Johansson, Per & Sjöstedt-de Luna, Sara, 2010.
"Bootstrap Inference for K-Nearest Neighbour Matching Estimators,"
IZA Discussion Papers
5361, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- de Luna, Xavier & Johansson, Per & Sjöstedt-de Luna, Sara, 2010. "Bootstrap inference for K-nearest neighbour matching estimators," Working Paper Series 2010:13, IFAU - Institute for Evaluation of Labour Market and Education Policy.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Federico Huneeus).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.