Tournaments, gift exchanges, and the effect of monetary incentives for teachers: the case of Chile
AbstractIn this paper we evaluate the introduction of monetary incentives for teachers, based on a school performance tournament in Chile. We evaluate the tournament effect, i.e. the effect of introducing the incentive scheme on all participant schools: winners and losers. We also evaluate the effect of winning the tournament on next period school performance that we call the gift-exchange effect. Matching and Regression Discontinuity techniques are used to identify both treatment effects. The results indicate a positive and significant tournament effect and a positive but nonsignificant gift-exchange effect.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University of Chile, Department of Economics in its series Working Papers with number wp305.
Date of creation: Dec 2009
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- Dante Contreras & Tomás Rau, 2012. "Tournament Incentives for Teachers: Evidence from a Scaled-Up Intervention in Chile," Economic Development and Cultural Change, University of Chicago Press, vol. 61(1), pages 219 - 246.
- I21 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Education - - - Analysis of Education
- I28 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Education - - - Government Policy
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2010-01-16 (All new papers)
- NEP-LAB-2010-01-16 (Labour Economics)
- NEP-URE-2010-01-16 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Lockheed, Marlaine E., 2014. "Teacher opinions on performance incentives : evidence from the Kyrgyz Republic," Policy Research Working Paper Series 6752, The World Bank.
- Muralidharan, Karthik & Sundararaman, Venkatesh, 2011. "Teacher opinions on performance pay: Evidence from India," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, vol. 30(3), pages 394-403, June.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Federico Huneeus).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.