Inference in Limited Dependent Variable Models Robust to Weak Identification
AbstractWe propose tests for structural parameters in limited dependent variable models with endogenous explanatory variables using the classical minimum distance framework. These tests have the correct size whether the structural parameters are identified or not. Relating to the current tests, the application of ours is appropriate especially to models whose moment conditions are nonlinear in parameters. Moreover, the computation of ours tests is simple, allowing their implementation in a large number of statistical software packages. We compare our tests with Wald tests by performing simulation experiments. We use our tests to analyze the female labor supply and the demand for cigarette.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Tulane University, Department of Economics in its series Working Papers with number 0801.
Length: 31 pages
Date of creation: Sep 2008
Date of revision: Apr 2009
weak identification; minimum chi-square estimation; hypothesis testing; limited dependent variable models;
Other versions of this item:
- Leandro M. Magnusson, 2010. "Inference in limited dependent variable models robust to weak identification," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 13(3), pages S56-S79, October.
- C12 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Hypothesis Testing: General
- C30 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - General
- C34 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Multiple or Simultaneous Equation Models; Multiple Variables - - - Truncated and Censored Models; Switching Regression Models
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- John Mullahy, 1997. "Instrumental-Variable Estimation Of Count Data Models: Applications To Models Of Cigarette Smoking Behavior," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 79(4), pages 586-593, November.
- Blundell, Richard & MaCurdy, Thomas & Meghir, Costas, 2007. "Labor Supply Models: Unobserved Heterogeneity, Nonparticipation and Dynamics," Handbook of Econometrics, in: J.J. Heckman & E.E. Leamer (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 6, chapter 69 Elsevier.
- Newey, Whitney K., 1987. "Efficient estimation of limited dependent variable models with endogenous explanatory variables," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 36(3), pages 231-250, November.
- Smith, Richard J & Blundell, Richard W, 1986. "An Exogeneity Test for a Simultaneous Equation Tobit Model with an Application to Labor Supply," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 54(3), pages 679-85, May.
- Argia M. Sbordone, 2005.
"Do expected future marginal costs drive inflation dynamics?,"
204, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- Sbordone, Argia M., 2005. "Do expected future marginal costs drive inflation dynamics?," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 52(6), pages 1183-1197, September.
- Powell, James L, 1986. "Symmetrically Trimmed Least Squares Estimation for Tobit Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 54(6), pages 1435-60, November.
- Kleibergen, Frank, 2007. "Generalizing weak instrument robust IV statistics towards multiple parameters, unrestricted covariance matrices and identification statistics," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 139(1), pages 181-216, July.
- Douglas Staiger & James H. Stock, 1997.
"Instrumental Variables Regression with Weak Instruments,"
Econometric Society, vol. 65(3), pages 557-586, May.
- Douglas Staiger & James H. Stock, 1994. "Instrumental Variables Regression with Weak Instruments," NBER Technical Working Papers 0151, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Frank Kleibergen, 2002.
"Pivotal Statistics for Testing Structural Parameters in Instrumental Variables Regression,"
Econometric Society, vol. 70(5), pages 1781-1803, September.
- Frank Kleibergen, 2000. "Pivotal Statistics for Testing Structural Parameters in Instrumental Variables Regression," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 00-055/4, Tinbergen Institute.
- Frank Kleibergen, 2005.
"Testing Parameters in GMM Without Assuming that They Are Identified,"
Econometric Society, vol. 73(4), pages 1103-1123, 07.
- Frank Kleibergen, 2001. "Testing Parameters in GMM without Assuming that they are identified," Tinbergen Institute Discussion Papers 01-067/4, Tinbergen Institute.
- Santos Silva, J M C, 2001. "Influence Diagnostics and Estimation Algorithms for Powell's SCLS," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 19(1), pages 55-62, January.
- Marcelo J. Moreira, 2003. "A Conditional Likelihood Ratio Test for Structural Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 71(4), pages 1027-1048, 07.
- Blundell, Richard W & Smith, Richard J, 1989. "Estimation in a Class of Simultaneous Equation Limited Dependent Variable Models," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 56(1), pages 37-57, January.
- Patrik Buggenberger & Richard Smith, 2003.
"Generalized empirical likelihood estimators and tests under partial, weak and strong identification,"
CeMMAP working papers
CWP08/03, Centre for Microdata Methods and Practice, Institute for Fiscal Studies.
- Guggenberger, Patrik & Smith, Richard J., 2005. "Generalized Empirical Likelihood Estimators And Tests Under Partial, Weak, And Strong Identification," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 21(04), pages 667-709, August.
- Arellano, M. & Bover, O. & Labeaga, J.M., 1997. "Autoregressive Models with Sample Selectivity for Panel Data," Papers 9706, Centro de Estudios Monetarios Y Financieros-.
- Olympia Bover & Manuel Arellano, 1997. "Estimating limited dependent variable models from panel data," Investigaciones Economicas, Fundación SEPI, vol. 21(2), pages 141-166, May.
- Donald W.K. Andrews & Gustavo Soares, 2006.
"Rank Tests for Instrumental Variables Regression with Weak Instruments,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
1564, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Andrews, Donald W.K. & Soares, Gustavo, 2007. "Rank Tests For Instrumental Variables Regression With Weak Instruments," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 23(06), pages 1033-1082, December.
- Andrew M. Jones & José M. Labeaga, 2003. "Individual heterogeneity and censoring in panel data estimates of tobacco expenditure," Journal of Applied Econometrics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 18(2), pages 157-177.
- Thomas Mroz, .
"The Sensitivity of an Empirical Model of Married Women's Hours of Work to Economic and Statistical Assumptions,"
University of Chicago - Population Research Center
84-8, Chicago - Population Research Center.
- Mroz, Thomas A, 1987. "The Sensitivity of an Empirical Model of Married Women's Hours of Work to Economic and Statistical Assumptions," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 55(4), pages 765-99, July.
- Chamberlain, Gary, 1984. "Panel data," Handbook of Econometrics, in: Z. Griliches† & M. D. Intriligator (ed.), Handbook of Econometrics, edition 1, volume 2, chapter 22, pages 1247-1318 Elsevier.
- Lee, Myoung-Jae, 1992. "Winsorized Mean Estimator for Censored Regression," Econometric Theory, Cambridge University Press, vol. 8(03), pages 368-382, September.
- Antonio Diez de los Rios, 2013. "A New Linear Estimator for Gaussian Dynamic Term Structure Models," Working Papers 13-10, Bank of Canada.
- Emran, M. Shahe & Maret-Rakotondrazaka, Fenohasina & Smith, Stephen C., 2012.
"Education and Freedom of Choice: Evidence from Arranged Marriages in Vietnam,"
IZA Discussion Papers
6862, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- M. Shahe Emran & Fenohasina Maret-Rakotondrazaka & Stephen C. Smith, 2014. "Education and Freedom of Choice: Evidence from Arranged Marriages in Vietnam," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 50(4), pages 481-501, April.
- Stephen C. Smith & M. Shahe Emran & Fenohasina Maret, 2009. "Education and Freedom of Choice: Evidence from Arranged Marriages in Vietnam," Working Papers 2009-15, The George Washington University, Institute for International Economic Policy.
- Jean-Marie Dufour & Joachim Wilde, 2013. "Weak Identification in Probit Models with Endogenous Covariates," Working Papers 95, Institute of Empirical Economic Research, revised 28 Feb 2013.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Keith Finlay).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.