Cyclicality and Term Structure of Value-at-Risk in Europe
AbstractThis paper explores empirically the link between stocks returns Value-at-Risk (VaR) and the state of financial markets cycle. The econometric analysis is based on a simple vector autoregression setup. Using quarterly data from 1970Q4 to 2008Q4 for France, Germany and the United-Kingdom, it turns out that the k-year VaR of equities is actually dependent on the cycle phase: the expected losses as measured by the VaR are smaller in recession times than expansion periods, whatever the country and the horizon. These results strongly suggest that the European rules regarding the solvency capital requirements for insurance companies should adapt to the state of the financial market’s cycle.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Toulouse School of Economics (TSE) in its series TSE Working Papers with number 09-035.
Date of creation: May 2009
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- Bec, Frédérique & Gollier, Christian, 2009. "Cyclicality and Term Structure of Value-at-Risk in Europe," IDEI Working Papers 587, Institut d'Économie Industrielle (IDEI), Toulouse.
- NEP-ALL-2010-05-22 (All new papers)
- NEP-EEC-2010-05-22 (European Economics)
- NEP-FMK-2010-05-22 (Financial Markets)
- NEP-RMG-2010-05-22 (Risk Management)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Nicholas Barberis, 2000. "Investing for the Long Run when Returns Are Predictable," Journal of Finance, American Finance Association, vol. 55(1), pages 225-264, 02.
- Timothy Cogley & James M. Nason, 1991. "Effects of the Hodrick-Prescott filter on integrated time series," Proceedings, Federal Reserve Bank of San Francisco, issue Nov.
- Ľuboš Pástor & Robert F. Stambaugh, 2012.
"Are Stocks Really Less Volatile in the Long Run?,"
Journal of Finance,
American Finance Association, vol. 67(2), pages 431-478, 04.
- Pástor, Luboš & Stambaugh, Robert F., 2009. "Are Stocks Really Less Volatile in the Long Run?," CEPR Discussion Papers 7199, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Lubos Pastor & Robert F. Stambaugh, 2009. "Are Stocks Really Less Volatile in the Long Run?," NBER Working Papers 14757, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Anders Møller Christensen & Heino Bohn Nielsen, 2009. "Monetary Policy in the Greenspan Era: A Time Series Analysis of Rules vs. Discretion," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 71(1), pages 69-89, 02.
- Giuseppe Cavaliere & Anders Rahbek & A. M. Robert Taylor, 2007.
"Testing for co-integration in vector autoregressions with non-stationary volatility,"
07/02, University of Nottingham, Granger Centre for Time Series Econometrics.
- Cavaliere, Giuseppe & Rahbek, Anders & Taylor, A.M. Robert, 2010. "Testing for co-integration in vector autoregressions with non-stationary volatility," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 158(1), pages 7-24, September.
- Giuseppe Cavaliere & Anders Rahbek & A. M. Robert Taylor, 2008. "Testing for Co-integration in Vector Autoregressions with Non-Stationary Volatility," Discussion Papers 08-34, University of Copenhagen. Department of Economics.
- Giuseppe Cavaliere & Anders Rahbek & A.M.Robert Taylor, 2008. "Testing for Co-integration in Vector Autoregressions with Non-Stationary Volatility," CREATES Research Papers 2008-50, School of Economics and Management, University of Aarhus.
- Guillaume Plantin & Haresh Sapra & Hyun Shin, .
"Marking to Market: Panacea or Pandora’s Box ?,"
GSIA Working Papers
2005-E4, Carnegie Mellon University, Tepper School of Business.
- Tobias Adrian & Hyun Song Shin, 2008.
"Liquidity and leverage,"
328, Federal Reserve Bank of New York.
- J.-C. Bricongne & J.-M. Fournier & V. Lapègue & O. Monso, 2011. "From the financial crisis to the economic crisis The impact of the financial trouble of 2007-2008 on the growth of seven advanced countries," Documents de Travail de la DESE - Working Papers of the DESE g2011-05, Institut National de la Statistique et des Etudes Economiques, DESE.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.