The competitive balance in the Italian football league: A taxonomic approach
AbstractThis paper aims to investigate the dynamics of seasonal competitive balance in Italian Serie A in the last 45 years. Starting from the critics against the stylized conditions of worst competitive balance and using a taxonomic approach it provides a prominent role to the round played and to the position in standing in order to compose a better proxy for the uncertainty. It shows that the time trend rise in competitive unbalance can be dated from middle 90s, but can not be ascribed exclusively to the change in the points system.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Communication, University of Teramo in its series wp.comunite with number 0048.
Date of creation: Nov 2008
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://wp.comunite.it/
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Allen R. Sanderson & John J. Siegfried, 2003. "Thinking About Competitive Balance," Vanderbilt University Department of Economics Working Papers 0318, Vanderbilt University Department of Economics.
- Thomas Hoehn & Stefan Szymanski, 1999. "The Americanization of European football," Economic Policy, CEPR & CES & MSH, vol. 14(28), pages 203-240, 04.
- Brad R. Humphreys, 2002. "Alternative Measures of Competitive Balance in Sports Leagues," Journal of Sports Economics, , vol. 3(2), pages 133-148, May.
- Dobson,Stephen & Goddard,John, 2011. "The Economics of Football," Cambridge Books, Cambridge University Press, number 9780521517140, April.
- HALICIOGLU, Ferda, 2006.
"The impacts of football point systems on the competitive balance: evidence from some European footbal leagues,"
10798, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ferda Halicioglu, 2006. "The impact of football point systems on the competitive balance: evidence from some european football leagues," Rivista di Diritto ed Economia dello Sport, Centro di diritto e business dello Sport, vol. 2(2), pages 67-76, Dicembre.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Giovanni Di Bartolomeo).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.