Turkiye’de Emek Piyasasinin Cevrimsel Hareketinin Cinsiyet Bazinda Analizi
Abstract[TR] Bu notta Turkiye’de bazi temel emek piyasasi degiskenlerinin konjonkturel yapisi cinsiyet bazinda istatistiksel olarak incelenmektir. Toplulastirilmis gostergeler, iktisadi anlamda onem arz eden ve cinsiyet bazinda alt gruplarda gozlenmesi muhtemel heterojen yapiyi gizleyebilmektedir. Bu calismada yapilan analizlerde, konjonkturel dalgalanmalar esnasinda istihdamin kadin ve erkeklerde tamamen zit yonde hareket ettigi ve isgucune katilimin cinsiyet bazinda onemli nitelik ve niceliksel farkliliklar gosterdigi gozlenmistir. Ekonomik daralma donemlerinde erkek istihdami azalirken kadinlarin hem isgucune katiliminin hem de istihdaminin artmasinin, daralma donemlerinde isgucu piyasalarindaki kotulesmeyi ve bu donemlerin ekonomik ve sosyal maliyetlerini sinirlayan muhtemel etkenler arasinda oldugu dusunulmektedir. Issizlikte ise cinsiyet bazinda niceliksel farklar gozlenmekle beraber, niteliksel olarak iki grup birbirine benzemektedir. [EN] This note analyzes the cyclical characteristics of the key labor market indicators in Turkey with respect to gender decomposition, as the aggregate indicators may conceal the heterogeneity across genders that may be important in terms of economic dynamics. Our analysis reveals opposite movements in female and male employment and qualitative and quantitative differences in labor force participation across gender groups. The increase in female employment and labor force participation observed simultaneously with the decline in male employment during downturns appears to be among the possible factors mitigating the economic and social costs of economic downturns in Turkey. Cyclical behavior of unemployment is qualitatively the same for both males and females, although there are quantitative differences across these groups.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Research and Monetary Policy Department, Central Bank of the Republic of Turkey in its series CBT Research Notes in Economics with number 1209.
Date of creation: 2012
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Head Office, Istiklal Cad. 10 Ulus, 06100 Ankara
Phone: (90 312) 507 5000
Fax: (90 312) 507 5640
Web page: http://www.tcmb.gov.tr/
More information through EDIRC
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Polat, Sezgin & Saraceno, Francesco, 2010.
"Macroeconomic Shocks and Labor Supply in Emerging Countries. Some Lessons from Turkey,"
GIAM Working Papers
10-3, Galatasaray University Economic Research Center, revised 2010.
- Sezgin Polat & Francesco Saraceno, 2010. "Macroeconomic Shocks and Labor Supply in Emerging Countries: some Lessons from Turkey," Sciences Po publications 2010-36, Sciences Po.
- Sezgin Polat & Francesco Saraceno, 2010. "Macroeconomic Shocks and Labor Supply in Emerging Countries. Some Lessons from Turkey," Documents de Travail de l'OFCE 2010-36, Observatoire Francais des Conjonctures Economiques (OFCE).
- Harun ALP & Yusuf Soner BAŞKAYA & Mustafa KILINÇ & Canan YÜKSEL, 2011. "Estimating Optimal Hodrick-Prescott Filter Smoothing Parameter for Turkey," Iktisat Isletme ve Finans, Bilgesel Yayincilik, vol. 26(306), pages 09-23.
- Morten O. Ravn & Harald Uhlig, 2002. "On adjusting the Hodrick-Prescott filter for the frequency of observations," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 84(2), pages 371-375.
- Harun Alp & Yusuf Soner Baskaya & Mustafa Kilinc & Canan Yuksel, 2012. "Stylized Facts for Business Cycles in Turkey," Working Papers 1202, Research and Monetary Policy Department, Central Bank of the Republic of Turkey.
- Gonul Sengul, 2012. "Ins and Outs of Unemployment in Turkey," Working Papers 1210, Research and Monetary Policy Department, Central Bank of the Republic of Turkey.
- Gonul Sengul & Murat Tasci, 2014. "Unemployment Flows, Participation and the Natural Rate for Turkey," KoÃ§ University-TUSIAD Economic Research Forum Working Papers 1404, Koc University-TUSIAD Economic Research Forum.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Soner Baskaya).
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.