Estimating Monthly GDP In A General Kalman Filter Framework: Evidence From Switzerland
AbstractIn this paper, we estimate deseasonalized monthly series for Swiss Gross Domestic Product at constant prices of 1990 for the period 1980-1998. They are consistent with the quarterly figures estimated by the Federal Office for Economic Development and Labour and are obtained by including information contained in related series. We present a general approach using the Kalman Filter technique nesting a great variety of interpolation setups. We evaluate competing models and provide a time series that can be used by other researchers.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Swiss National Bank, Study Center Gerzensee in its series Working Papers with number 99.02.
Length: 37 pages
Date of creation: Mar 1999
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Studienzentrum Gerzensee, Postfach 21, 3115 Gerzensee
Phone: ++41 (0)31 780 31 31
Fax: ++41 (0)31 780 31 00
Web page: http://www.szgerzensee.ch/
Postal: Studienzentrum Gerzensee, Postfach 21, 3115 Gerzensee
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E32 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Business Fluctuations; Cycles
- E37 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Forecasting and Simulation: Models and Applications
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Robert B. Litterman, 1983.
"A random walk, Markov model for the distribution of time series,"
84, Federal Reserve Bank of Minneapolis.
- Litterman, Robert B, 1983. "A Random Walk, Markov Model for the Distribution of Time Series," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, vol. 1(2), pages 169-73, April.
- Johansen, Soren, 1991. "Estimation and Hypothesis Testing of Cointegration Vectors in Gaussian Vector Autoregressive Models," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 59(6), pages 1551-80, November.
- Milton Friedman, 1962. "The Interpolation of Time Series by Related Series," NBER Books, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc, number frie62-1, June.
- Fernandez, Roque B, 1981.
"A Methodological Note on the Estimation of Time Series,"
The Review of Economics and Statistics,
MIT Press, vol. 63(3), pages 471-76, August.
- Tom Doan, . "DISAGGREGATE: RATS procedure to implement general disaggregation (interpolation/distribution) procedure," Statistical Software Components RTS00050, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Tom Doan, . "CHOWLIN: RATS procedure to distribute a series to a higher frequency using related series," Statistical Software Components RTS00036, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Byeongchan Seong & Sung K. Ahn & Peter Zadrozny, 2007. "Cointegration Analysis with Mixed-Frequency Data," CESifo Working Paper Series 1939, CESifo Group Munich.
- Yueqing Jia, 2011. "A New Look at China’s Output Fluctuations: Quarterly GDP Estimation with an Unobserved Components Approach," Working Papers 2011-006, The George Washington University, Department of Economics, Research Program on Forecasting.
- Dellas, Harris & Hess, Martin K, 2002.
"Financial Development and the Sensitivity of Stock Markets to External Influences,"
Review of International Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 10(3), pages 525-38, August.
- Dellas, Harris & Hess, Martin, 2001. "Financial Development and the Sensitivity of Stock Markets to External Influences," CEPR Discussion Papers 2766, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Harris Dellas & Martin K. Hess, 2000. "Financial Development and the Sensitivity of Stock Markets to External Influences," Working Papers 00.06, Swiss National Bank, Study Center Gerzensee.
- Issler, João Victor & Notini, Hilton Hostalacio & Rodrigues, Claudia Fontoura, 2009.
"Constructing Coincident and Leading Indices of Economic Activity for the Brazilian Economy,"
Economics Working Papers (Ensaios Economicos da EPGE)
694, FGV/EPGE Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- João Victor Issler & Hilton Hostalacio Notini & Claudia Fontoura Rodrigues, 2012. "Constructing coincident and leading indices of economic activity for the Brazilian economy," OECD Journal: Journal of Business Cycle Measurement and Analysis, OECD Publishing,CIRET, vol. 2012(2), pages 43-65.
- Issler, João Victor & Notini, Hilton Hostalacio & Rodrigues, Claudia Fontoura, 2011. "Constructing coincident and leading indices of economic activity for the brazilian economy," Economics Working Papers (Ensaios Economicos da EPGE) 714, FGV/EPGE Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- Issler, João Victor & Notini, Hilton Hostalacio & Rodrigues, Claudia Fontoura, 2012. "Constructing Coincident and Leading Indices of Economic Activity for the Brazilian Economy," Economics Working Papers (Ensaios Economicos da EPGE) 730, FGV/EPGE Escola Brasileira de Economia e Finanças, Getulio Vargas Foundation (Brazil).
- Konstantins Benkovskis, 2008. "Short-Term Forecasts of Latvia's Real Gross Domestic Product Growth Using Monthly Indicators," Working Papers 2008/05, Latvijas Banka.
- Jonas Stulz, 2007. "Exchange rate pass-through in Switzerland: Evidence from vector autoregressions," Economic Studies 2007-04, Swiss National Bank.
- Ureche-Rangau, Loredana & Burietz, Aurore, 2013. "One crisis, two crises…the subprime crisis and the European sovereign debt problems," Economic Modelling, Elsevier, vol. 35(C), pages 35-44.
- International Monetary Fund, 2002. "Macroeconomic Adjustment in a Highly Dollarized Economy," IMF Working Papers 02/92, International Monetary Fund.
- Eurilton Araujo, 2006. "Estimating and Testing Two Consumption-Based Asset Pricing Models for Brazil: An Information-Theoretic Approach," Brazilian Business Review, Fucape Business School, vol. 3(1), pages 1-14, January.
- Hess, Martin K., 2004. "Dynamic and asymmetric impacts of macroeconomic fundamentals on an integrated stock market," Journal of International Financial Markets, Institutions and Money, Elsevier, vol. 14(5), pages 455-471, December.
- Rocío Elizondo, 2012. "Monthly GDP estimates based on the IGAE," Working Papers 2012-11, Banco de México.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (library).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.