Formal Sector Price Discoveries: Results from a Developing Country
AbstractWe present results of 1189 structured interviews about price-setting behavior of firms in the manufacturing and services sector in Pakistan. Our discoveries are that frequency of price change is considerably high, lowering the real impact of monetary policy. The remaining price stickiness is explained by firms caring about relative prices and the persistence of shocks. The exchange-rate and cost shocks are more important than financial and demand shocks for both setting prices and also the readiness with which these pass-through to the economy. Firms with connections with the informal sector, especially through demand, have a lower probability of price adjustment.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by School of Economics, University of Surrey in its series School of Economics Discussion Papers with number 1011.
Length: 31 pages
Date of creation: Sep 2011
Date of revision:
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E32 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Business Fluctuations; Cycles
- E52 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Monetary Policy, Central Banking, and the Supply of Money and Credit - - - Monetary Policy
- O11 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Macroeconomic Analyses of Economic Development
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2011-09-22 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBA-2011-09-22 (Central Banking)
- NEP-DEV-2011-09-22 (Development)
- NEP-HME-2011-09-22 (Heterodox Microeconomics)
- NEP-IUE-2011-09-22 (Informal & Underground Economics)
- NEP-MAC-2011-09-22 (Macroeconomics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Apel, Mikael & Friberg, Richard & Hallsten, Kerstin, 2005.
"Microfoundations of Macroeconomic Price Adjustment: Survey Evidence from Swedish Firms,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 37(2), pages 313-38, April.
- Apel, Mikael & Friberg, Richard & Hallsten, Kerstin, 2001. "Micro Foundations of Macroeconomic Price Adjustment: Survey Evidence from Swedish Firms," Working Paper Series 128, Sveriges Riksbank (Central Bank of Sweden).
- Kwapil, Claudia & Baumgartner, Josef & Scharler, Johann, 2005.
"The price-setting behavior of Austrian firms: some survey evidence,"
Working Paper Series
0464, European Central Bank.
- Josef Baumgartner & Claudia Kwapil & Johann Scharler, 2005. "The Price-Setting Behavior of Austrian Firms: Some Survey Evidence," Working Papers 100, Oesterreichische Nationalbank (Austrian Central Bank).
- Muhammad Farooq Arby & Muhammad Jahanzeb Malik & Muhammad Nadim Hanif, 2010.
"The Size of Informal Economy in Pakistan,"
- Asplund, Marcus & Eriksson, Rickard & Friberg, Richard, 2000.
" Price Adjustments by a Gasoline Retail Chain,"
Scandinavian Journal of Economics,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 102(1), pages 101-21, March.
- Loupias, C. & Ricart, R., 2004.
"Price Setting in France: new Evidence from Survey Data,"
120, Banque de France.
- Loupias, Claire & Ricart, Roland, 2004. "Price setting in France: new evidence from survey data," Working Paper Series 0423, European Central Bank.
- Daniel Levy & Shantanu Dutta & Mark Bergen, 2002.
"Heterogeneity in Price Rigidity: Evidence from a Case Study Using Micro-Level Data,"
2002-09, Department of Economics, Bar-Ilan University.
- Levy, Daniel & Dutta, Shantanu & Bergen, Mark, 2002. "Heterogeneity in Price Rigidity: Evidence from a Case Study Using Microlevel Data," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 34(1), pages 197-220, February.
- Daniel Levy & Shantanu Dutta & Mark Bergen, 2004. "Heterogeneity in Price Rigidity: Evidence from a Case Study Using Micro-Level Data," Macroeconomics 0402021, EconWPA.
- Frankel, Jeffrey A., 2011.
"Monetary Policy in Emerging Markets: A Survey,"
4669671, Harvard Kennedy School of Government.
- Jeffrey A. Frankel, 2010. "Monetary Policy in Emerging Markets: A Survey," NBER Working Papers 16125, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Frankel, Jeffrey, 2011. "Monetary Policy in Emerging Markets: A Survey," Working Paper Series rwp11-003, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- Emi Nakamura & Jón Steinsson, 2008. "Five Facts about Prices: A Reevaluation of Menu Cost Models," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 123(4), pages 1415-1464, November.
- Wasim Shahid Malik & Ahsan ul Haq Satti & Ghulam Saghir, 2010.
"Price Setting Behaviour of Pakistani Firms: Evidence from Four Industrial Cities of Punjab,"
2010:65, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics.
- Wasim Shahid Malik & Ahsan ul Haq Satti & Ghulam Saghir, 2008. "Price Setting Behaviour of Pakistani Firms: Evidence from Four Industrial Cities of Punjab," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 47(3), pages 247-266.
- Wasim Shahid Malik & Ahsan ul HaqSatti & Ghulam Saghir, 2010. "Price Setting Behaviour of Pakistani Firms : Evidence from Four Industrial Cities of Punjab," Macroeconomics Working Papers 23069, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Cecchetti, Stephen G., 1986. "The frequency of price adjustment : A study of the newsstand prices of magazines," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 31(3), pages 255-274, April.
- Fabiani, Silvia & Loupias, Claire & Martins, Fernando & Sabbatini, Roberto (ed.), 2007. "Pricing Decisions in the Euro Area: How Firms Set Prices and Why," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195309287.
- Sheshinski, Eytan & Weiss, Yoram, 1983. "Optimum Pricing Policy under Stochastic Inflation," Review of Economic Studies, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 50(3), pages 513-29, July.
- Ahmed, Shahzad & Ahmed, Waqas & Khan, Sajawal & Pasha, Farooq & Rehman, Muhammad, 2012. "Pakistan Economy DSGE Model with Informality," MPRA Paper 53135, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- M. Ali Choudhary & Saima Mahmood & Sajawal Khan & Waqas Ahmed & Gylfi Zoega, 2013. "Sticky Wages in a Developing Country: Lessons from Structured Interviews in Pakistan," School of Economics Discussion Papers 0213, School of Economics, University of Surrey.
- Haider, Adnan & Din, Musleh-ud & Ghani, Ejaz, 2012.
"Monetary policy, informality and business cycle fluctuations in a developing economy vulnerable to external shocks,"
42484, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Adnan Haider & Musleh ud Din & Ejaz Ghani, 2012. "Monetary Policy, Informality and Business Cycle Fluctuations in a Developing Economy Vulnerable to External Shocks," The Pakistan Development Review, Pakistan Institute of Development Economics, vol. 51(4), pages 609-682.
- Ahmed, Shahzad & Pasha, Farooq, 2014. "The Role of Money in Explaining Business Cycles for a Developing Economy: The Case of Pakistan," MPRA Paper 55262, University Library of Munich, Germany, revised 11 Apr 2014.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Alex Mandilaras).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.