The Impact of Technology Accumulation on Technical Efficiency: an Analysis of the Sri Lankan Clothing and Agricultural Machinery Industries
AbstractThis paper examines the effects of technology accumulation on firm-level technical efficiency in the Sri Lankan clothing and agricultural machinery industries, using cross-section survey data. Econometric analysis of the economic effects of technology development in developing countries is limited and this paper seeks to address this gap in the literature. The analysis shows simple adaptive technical change to have a significant and positive effect on efficiency in both industries. In addition, variables relating to technological skills and training also emerge as significant determinants of firm-level efficiency.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Department of Economics, SOAS, University of London, UK in its series Working Papers with number 103.
Length: 23 pages
Date of creation: Nov 2000
Date of revision:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Dosi, Giovanni, 1997. "Opportunities, Incentives and the Collective Patterns of Technological Change," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 107(444), pages 1530-47, September.
- Aigner, Dennis & Lovell, C. A. Knox & Schmidt, Peter, 1977. "Formulation and estimation of stochastic frontier production function models," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 6(1), pages 21-37, July.
- Lall, Sanjaya & Teubal, Morris, 1998. ""Market-stimulating" technology policies in developing countries: A framework with examples from East Asia," World Development, Elsevier, vol. 26(8), pages 1369-1385, August.
- Aw, Bee Yan & Batra, Geeta, 1998. "Technological Capability and Firm Efficiency in Taiwan (China)," World Bank Economic Review, World Bank Group, vol. 12(1), pages 59-79, January.
- Pitt, Mark M. & Lee, Lung-Fei, 1981. "The measurement and sources of technical inefficiency in the Indonesian weaving industry," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 9(1), pages 43-64, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Duo QIN) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Duo QIN to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.