The Stability of the Euro-Demand Function
AbstractWhile the empirical literature on money demand is vast by any standards, it is relatively silent when it comes to the Euro, a major currency in the world. This hampers efforts, for example, to determine whether or not the European Central Bank can target monetary aggregates for inflation control. The difficulty has come from the lack of information about euro-wide monetary behavior, relying instead on speculative techniques for aggregating country-level data from previous periods of the European exchange rate mechanism. Now that we have six years of monthly data points, we investigate the stability of various Euro-zone monetary aggregates using the Bound Testing Procedure of Cointegration proposed by Pesaran et al. (2001) and study their policy implications.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Saint Cloud State University, Department of Economics in its series Working Papers with number 2008-1.
Date of creation: Aug 2007
Date of revision: Aug 2007
Contact details of provider:
Postal: 386 Stewart Hall, 720 4th Ave S, St. Cloud, MN 56301-4498
Phone: (320) 308-2227
Fax: (320) 308-2228
Web page: http://www.stcloudstate.edu/economics/
More information through EDIRC
money demand; euro; cointegration;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E41 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Money and Interest Rates - - - Demand for Money
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2007-10-13 (All new papers)
- NEP-CBA-2007-10-13 (Central Banking)
- NEP-EEC-2007-10-13 (European Economics)
- NEP-MAC-2007-10-13 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-MON-2007-10-13 (Monetary Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Coenen, Günter & Vega, Juan Luis, 1999.
"The demand for M3 in the euro area,"
Working Paper Series
0006, European Central Bank.
- Gunter Coenen & Juan Luis Vega, 2000. "The Demand for M3 in the Euro Area," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 0976, Econometric Society.
- Adam, Christopher S, 1991. "Financial Innovation and the Demand for LM3 in the UK 1975-86," Oxford Bulletin of Economics and Statistics, Department of Economics, University of Oxford, vol. 53(4), pages 401-24, November.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (King Banaian).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.