Demographic Uncertainty and Labour Market Imperfections in Small Open Economy
AbstractThis paper extends Gertler's (1999) tractable overlapping generations model by allowing for imperfect labour markets and distortionary taxation. Furthermore, we allow for stochastic variation in demographic structure. The model is then used to study demographic change in a small open economy of Finland. The simulations highlight a key role played by labour market imperfections in determining a fiscal burden of ageing in defined benefit pensions systems. Higher labour market imperfections lead into considerably stronger responses of labour supply and taxes on ageing. Thus, imperfections magnify the problem associated with fiscal sustainability in ageing society. Higher labour market imperfections lead into considerably stronger responses of labour supply and taxes on ageing. Thus, imperfections magnify the problem associated with fiscal sustainability in ageing society. Stochastic simulations suggest that lengthening of working time has rather minor impact on alleviating the fiscal burden of ageing. Only a small fraction of the stochastic variation in endogenously determined contribution rate is explained by the stochastic variation in the lenght of working time. Variation in fertility rate is clearly more important.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Society for Computational Economics in its series Computing in Economics and Finance 2006 with number 227.
Date of creation: 04 Jul 2006
Date of revision:
Demographics; Uncertainty; DSGE; Labour Markets;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- E62 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomic Policy, Macroeconomic Aspects of Public Finance, and General Outlook - - - Fiscal Policy
- E27 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Consumption, Saving, Production, Employment, and Investment - - - Forecasting and Simulation: Models and Applications
- H55 - Public Economics - - National Government Expenditures and Related Policies - - - Social Security and Public Pensions
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2006-07-15 (All new papers)
- NEP-DGE-2006-07-15 (Dynamic General Equilibrium)
- NEP-MAC-2006-07-15 (Macroeconomics)
- NEP-PBE-2006-07-15 (Public Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- repec:fth:bfdipa:10/2001 is not listed on IDEAS
- Kilponen, Juha & Ripatti , Antti, 2006. "Labour and product market competition in a small open economy, Simulation results using a DGE model of the Finnish economy," Research Discussion Papers 5/2006, Bank of Finland.
- Betts, Caroline & Devereux, Michael B., 2000. "Exchange rate dynamics in a model of pricing-to-market," Journal of International Economics, Elsevier, vol. 50(1), pages 215-244, February.
- Johansen, Soren, 1995. "Likelihood-Based Inference in Cointegrated Vector Autoregressive Models," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198774501.
- Weil, Philippe, 1989. "Overlapping families of infinitely-lived agents," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 38(2), pages 183-198, March.
- Christian Keuschnigg & Mirela Keuschnigg, 2004.
"Aging, Labor Markets and Pension Reform in Austria,"
University of St. Gallen Department of Economics working paper series 2004
2004-03, Department of Economics, University of St. Gallen.
- Christian Keuschnigg & Mirela Keuschnigg, 2004. "Aging, Labor Markets, and Pension Reform in Austria," FinanzArchiv: Public Finance Analysis, Mohr Siebeck, Tübingen, vol. 60(3), pages 359-, September.
- Keuschnigg Christian & Keuschnigg Mirela, 2004. "Aging, Labor Markets and Pension Reform in Austria," GE, Growth, Math methods 0404002, EconWPA.
- Juha Kilponen & Torsten Santavirta, 2005.
"Competition and Innovation - Microeconometric Evidence Using Finnish Data,"
- Juha Kilponen & Torsten Santavirta, 2004. "Competition and Innovation - Microeconometric Evidence using Finnish Data," Research Reports 113, Government Institute for Economic Research Finland (VATT).
- Dixit, Avinash K & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1977.
"Monopolistic Competition and Optimum Product Diversity,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 67(3), pages 297-308, June.
- Dixit, Avinash K & Stiglitz, Joseph E, 1975. "Monopolistic Competition and Optimum Product Diversity," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 64, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Robert Fenge & Martin Werding, 2003. "Ageing and Fiscal Imbalances Across Generations: Concepts of Measurement," CESifo Working Paper Series 842, CESifo Group Munich.
- Roger E.A. Farmer, 1989.
UCLA Economics Working Papers
547, UCLA Department of Economics.
- Mark Gertler, 1997.
"Government Debt and Social Security in a Life-Cycle Economy,"
NBER Working Papers
6000, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gertler, Mark, 1999. "Government debt and social security in a life-cycle economy," Carnegie-Rochester Conference Series on Public Policy, Elsevier, vol. 50(1), pages 61-110, June.
- Gertler, Mark, 1997. "Government Debt and Social Security in a Life-Cycle Economy," Working Papers 97-14, C.V. Starr Center for Applied Economics, New York University.
- Betts, Caroline & Devereux, Michael B., 1996. "The exchange rate in a model of pricing-to-market," European Economic Review, Elsevier, vol. 40(3-5), pages 1007-1021, April.
- Ripatti, Antti & Vilmunen, Jouko, 2001. "Declining labour share – Evidence of a change in underlying production technology?," Research Discussion Papers 10/2001, Bank of Finland.
- Freystätter, Hanna, 2003. "Price setting behavior in an open economy and the determination of Finnish foreign trade prices," Scientific Monographs E:25/2003, Bank of Finland.
- Ippei Fujiwara & Yuki Teranishi, 2007.
"A Dynamic New Keynesian Life-Cycle Model: Societal Ageing, Demographics and Monetary Policy,"
IMES Discussion Paper Series
07-E-04, Institute for Monetary and Economic Studies, Bank of Japan.
- Fujiwara, Ippei & Teranishi, Yuki, 2008. "A dynamic new Keynesian life-cycle model: Societal aging, demographics, and monetary policy," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 32(8), pages 2398-2427, August.
- Vanda Almeida & Gabriela Castro & Ricardo Félix, 2010.
"Improving competition in the non-tradable goods and labour markets: the Portuguese case,"
Portuguese Economic Journal,
Springer, vol. 9(3), pages 163-193, December.
- Vanda Almeida & Gabriela Lopes de Castro & Ricardo Mourinho Félix, 2008. "Improving Competition in the Non-Tradable Goods and Labour Markets: The Portuguese Case," Working Papers w200816, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- Mourinho Félix, Ricardo & Almeida, Vanda & Castro, Gabriela, 2008. "Improving competition in the non-tradable goods and labour markets: the Portuguese case," MPRA Paper 13945, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Ripatti, Antti, 2008. "'A dynamic new Keynesian life-cycle model: Societal aging, demographics, and monetary policy' by Ippei Fujiwara and Yuki Teranishi. A comment," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 32(8), pages 2507-2511, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.