Securitization in East Asia
AbstractSecuritization offers a range of benefits for Asiaâs financial systems and economies as a mechanism to assist funding and investment. As a form of structured finance, reliable and efficient securitization can assist development by enabling financial systems to deepen and strengthenâthus contributing to overall economic growth and stability. It must be recognized, however, that there are both overt and more subtle risks in certain uses of securitization. The credit and liquidity crisis that began in the United States and spread to other developed financial systems in mid-2007 exposed the danger associated with securitization: excessive risk-taking or regulatory capital arbitrage rather than a tool to assist more conventional or conservative approaches to funding, risk management, or investment. Securitization has also been criticized for rendering financial markets opaque, while contributing to a growing emphasis in the global economy of credit intermediation conducted in capital markets rather than through banks. This study examines the institutional basis of these concerns by investigating the use of securitization in East Asia, questioning both the growth in regional activity since the 1997/98 Asian financial crisis, and the reasons for it remaining constrained. The paper concludes with a discussion of proposals to support proper development of securitization in the region, including institutional mechanisms that could better allow securitization to enhance development and financial stability. If East Asia begins to make fuller use of securitization, its motive will be to meet funding or investment needs in the real economy rather than balance sheet arbitrage of the kind that peaked elsewhere in 2007.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Asian Development Bank in its series Working Papers on Regional Economic Integration with number 12.
Length: 73 pages
Date of creation: 01 Jan 2008
Date of revision:
Securitization; East Asia; debt markets; risk transfer;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- F30 - International Economics - - International Finance - - - General
- G20 - Financial Economics - - Financial Institutions and Services - - - General
- K20 - Law and Economics - - Regulation and Business Law - - - General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-09-20 (All new papers)
- NEP-LAW-2008-09-20 (Law & Economics)
- NEP-SEA-2008-09-20 (South East Asia)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jobst, Andreas A., 2005. "The Basle scuritisation framework explained: The regulatory treatment of asset securitisation," CFS Working Paper Series 2004/21, Center for Financial Studies (CFS).
- Laffont, Jean-Jacques & Tirole, Jean, 1991.
"The Politics of Government Decision-Making: A Theory of Regulatory Capture,"
The Quarterly Journal of Economics,
MIT Press, vol. 106(4), pages 1089-127, November.
- Jean-Jacques Laffont & Jean Tirole, 1988. "The Politics of Government Decision-Making: A Theory of Regulatory Capture," Working papers 506, Massachusetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Department of Economics.
- Jean-Jacques LAFFONT & Jean TIROLE, 1990. "The Politics of Government Decision-Making : a Theory of Regulatory Capture," Cahiers de Recherches Economiques du DÃ©partement d'EconomÃ©trie et d'Economie politique (DEEP) 9004, Université de Lausanne, Faculté des HEC, DEEP.
- Veronica Cacdac Warnock & Francis E. Warnock, 2007. "Markets and Housing Finance," The Institute for International Integration Studies Discussion Paper Series iiisdp221, IIIS.
- Eric Chan & Michael Davies & Jacob Gyntelberg, 2006. "The role of government-supported housing finance agencies in Asia," BIS Quarterly Review, Bank for International Settlements, December.
- Raynes, Sylvain & Rutledge, Ann, 2003. "The Analysis of Structured Securities: Precise Risk Measurement and Capital Allocation," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780195152739.
- Akerlof, George A, 1970. "The Market for 'Lemons': Quality Uncertainty and the Market Mechanism," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 84(3), pages 488-500, August.
- Lastra, Rosa Maria, 2006. "Legal Foundations of International Monetary Stability," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780199269341.
- Richard A. Posner, 1974.
"Theories of Economic Regulation,"
NBER Working Papers
0041, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Alan Schwartz & Joel Watson, .
"The Law and Economics of Costly Contracting,"
Yale Law School John M. Olin Center for Studies in Law, Economics, and Public Policy Working Paper Series
yale_lepp-1004, Yale Law School John M. Olin Center for Studies in Law, Economics, and Public Policy.
- Schwartz, Alan & Watson, Joel, 2001. "The Law and Economics of Costly Contracting," University of California at San Diego, Economics Working Paper Series qt2wh8m7bv, Department of Economics, UC San Diego.
- Stiglitz, Joseph E & Weiss, Andrew, 1981. "Credit Rationing in Markets with Imperfect Information," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 71(3), pages 393-410, June.
- Liebig, Thilo & Porath, Daniel & Weder, Beatrice & Wedow, Michael, 2007. "Basel II and bank lending to emerging markets: Evidence from the German banking sector," Journal of Banking & Finance, Elsevier, vol. 31(2), pages 401-418, February.
- Veronica Cacdac Warnock & Francis E. Warnock, 2007. "Markets and Housing Finance," NBER Working Papers 13081, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Frank Packer & Ryan Stever & Christian Upper, 2007. "The covered bond market," BIS Quarterly Review, Bank for International Settlements, September.
- Goderis, B.V.G. & Marsh, I. & Vall Castello, J. & Wagner, W.B., 2006.
"Bank Behavior with Access to Credit Risk Transfer Markets,"
2006-100, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Goderis, Benedikt & Marsh, Ian & Vall Castello , Judit & Wagner, Wolf, 2007. "Bank behaviour with access to credit risk transfer markets," Research Discussion Papers 4/2007, Bank of Finland.
- Jacob Gyntelberg & Eli M Remolona, 2006. "Securitisation in Asia and the Pacific: implications for liquidity and credit risks," BIS Quarterly Review, Bank for International Settlements, June.
- George J. Stigler, 1971. "The Theory of Economic Regulation," Bell Journal of Economics, The RAND Corporation, vol. 2(1), pages 3-21, Spring.
- Goswami, Mangal & Sharma, Sunil, 2011.
"The Development of Local Debt Markets in Asia: An Assessment,"
ADBI Working Papers
326, Asian Development Bank Institute.
- Mangal Goswami & Sunil Sharma, 2011. "The Development of Local Debt Markets in Asia : An Assessment," Finance Working Papers 23210, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Mangal Goswami & Sunil Sharma, 2011. "The Development of Local Debt Markets in Asia : An Assessment," Governance Working Papers 23210, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Mangal Goswami & Sunil Sharma, 2011. "The Development of Local Debt Markets in Asia : An Assessment," Macroeconomics Working Papers 23210, East Asian Bureau of Economic Research.
- Paul Mizen & Serafeim Tsoukas, .
"Evidence on the external finance premium from the US and emerging Asian corporate bond markets,"
06/04, University of Nottingham, Centre for Finance, Credit and Macroeconomics (CFCM).
- Paul Mizen & Serafeim Tsoukas, 2008. "Evidence on the External Finance Premium from the US and Emerging Asian Corporate Bond Markets," Working Papers 142008, Hong Kong Institute for Monetary Research.
- McKibbin, Warwick J. & Chanthapun, Waranya Pim, 2009.
"Exchange Rate Regimes in the Asia-Pacific Region and the Global Financial Crisis,"
Working Papers on Regional Economic Integration
36, Asian Development Bank.
- Warwick McKibbin & Waranya Pim Chanthapun, 2009. "Exchange Rate Regimes in the Asia-Pacific Region and the Global Financial Crisis," CAMA Working Papers 2009-30, Centre for Applied Macroeconomic Analysis, Crawford School of Public Policy, The Australian National University.
- Bank for International Settlements, 2011. "Portfolio and risk management for central banks and sovereign wealth funds," BIS Papers, Bank for International Settlements, number 58, May.
- Rigg, Robert & Schou-Zibell, Lotte, 2009. "The Financial Crisis and Money Markets in Emerging Asia," Working Papers on Regional Economic Integration 38, Asian Development Bank.
- Daniel Rösch & Harald Scheule, 2011.
"Securitization rating performance and agency incentives,"
BIS Papers chapters,
in: Bank for International Settlements (ed.), Portfolio and risk management for central banks and sovereign wealth funds, volume 58, pages 287-314
Bank for International Settlements.
- Daniel Roesch & Harald Scheule, 2011. "Securitization Rating Performance and Agency Incentives," Working Papers 182011, Hong Kong Institute for Monetary Research.
- Madhur, Srinivasa & Wignaraja, Ganeshan & Darjes, Peter, 2009. "Roads for Asian Integration: Measuring ADB's Contribution to the Asian Highway Network," Working Papers on Regional Economic Integration 37, Asian Development Bank.
- Ballesteros, Marife M. & Dulay, Daisy S., 2013. "Feasibility of Mortgage-Backed Securitization for the Underserved Housing Market in the Philippines," Discussion Papers DP 2013-43, Philippine Institute for Development Studies.
- Mangal Goswami & Sunil Sharma, 2011. "The Development of Local Debt Markets in Asia," IMF Working Papers 11/132, International Monetary Fund.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ivan B. de Leon).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.