Approximating Moments by Nonlinear Transformations
AbstractWe provide a methodology to calculate the expectation of a variate x in terms of the moments of a transformation of x. Apart from the intrinsic interest in such a fundamental relation that relates the moments of a variate and its nonlinear transformations, our results can be used in practice to approximate E(x) by the low-order moments of a transformation which can be chosen to give a good approximation for E(x). To obtain an accurate evaluation of the remainder, we derive results for the bounding of functions of complex variables. Our results are useful, for example, in resampling applications like bootstrap confidence intervals for fat-tailed data. They are also useful in economics and finance in quantifying the effect of taking nonlinear transformations on moment conditions and on asset prices which are formulated as expectations.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The Rimini Centre for Economic Analysis in its series Working Paper Series with number 22_12.
Date of creation: Jun 2012
Date of revision:
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-06-25 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Backus, David & Chernov, Mikhail & Martin, Ian, 2009.
"Disasters implied by equity index options,"
CEPR Discussion Papers
7416, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- David Backus & Mikhail Chernov & Ian Martin, 2009. "Disasters Implied by Equity Index Options," Working Papers 09-14, New York University, Leonard N. Stern School of Business, Department of Economics.
- David Backus & Mikhail Chernov & Ian Martin, 2009. "Disasters implied by equity index options," NBER Working Papers 15240, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Abadir, Karim, 1995.
"An Introduction to Hypergeometric Functions for Economists,"
9510, Exeter University, Department of Economics.
- Karim Abadir, 1999. "An introduction to hypergeometric functions for economists," Econometric Reviews, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 18(3), pages 287-330.
- Abadir, K.M. & Magnus, J.R., 2001.
"Notation in Econometrics: A Proposal for a Standard,"
2001-8, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Karim M. Abadir & Jan R. Magnus, 2002. "Notation in econometrics: a proposal for a standard," Econometrics Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 5(1), pages 76-90, June.
- Abadir, Karim M. & Talmain, Gabriel, 2005. "Autocovariance functions of series and of their transforms," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, vol. 124(2), pages 227-252, February.
- Ian W. R. Martin, 2008. "Disasters and the Welfare Cost of Uncertainty," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 98(2), pages 74-78, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Roberto Patuelli).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.