Servitization as a Productive Strategy of a Firm - Evidence from the Forest-Based Industries
AbstractA central aspect of the industrial evolution in the advanced economies is the phenomenon called servitization. In general, the term servitization or product-service transition is used to highlight the change, where the tangible offering of a manufacturing firm is augmented with intangible services. In this paper, servitization is addressed broadly as a strategic reorientation by a manufacturing firm which entails adjustments in the firm business model as well. A useful framework to address the product-service transition is the socio-economic view of service productivity. On that basis, the paper shows how the productive strategy of the servitizing firm is linked with the business model that builds on service-dominant (S-D) logic. The resources and capabilities of the firm are central drivers in servitization. Via the empirical case study of the servitization strategies in the Finnish forest cluster, the paper extends the scope of analysis in the servitization research from the installed base -industries to the process industries. In a wider context, this paper contributes to the research collaboration between Aalto University (BIT) and Research Institute of the Finnish Economy, ETLA in the field of service research.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy in its series ETLA Reports with number 14.
Length: 34 pages
Date of creation: 07 Aug 2013
Date of revision:
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D24 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Production; Cost; Capital; Capital, Total Factor, and Multifactor Productivity; Capacity
- L14 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Transactional Relationships; Contracts and Reputation
- M11 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Business Administration - - - Production Management
- M21 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Business Economics - - - Business Economics
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-08-23 (All new papers)
- NEP-BEC-2013-08-23 (Business Economics)
- NEP-CSE-2013-08-23 (Economics of Strategic Management)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Teece, David J., 1982. "Towards an economic theory of the multiproduct firm," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 3(1), pages 39-63, March.
- Teece, David J., 1980. "Economies of scope and the scope of the enterprise," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 1(3), pages 223-247, September.
- Bernolak, Imre, 1997. "Effective measurement and successful elements of company productivity: The basis of competitiveness and world prosperity," International Journal of Production Economics, Elsevier, vol. 52(1-2), pages 203-213, October.
- Teece, David J., 1993.
"Profiting from technological innovation: Implications for integration, collaboration, licensing and public policy,"
Elsevier, vol. 22(2), pages 112-113, April.
- Teece, David J., 1986. "Profiting from technological innovation: Implications for integration, collaboration, licensing and public policy," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 15(6), pages 285-305, December.
- Gadrey, Jean, 2000. "The Characterization of Goods and Services: An Alternative Approach," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 46(3), pages 369-87, September.
- Parrinello, Sergio, 2004. "The service economy revisited," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 15(4), pages 381-400, December.
- Hill, T P, 1977. "On Goods and Services," Review of Income and Wealth, International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 23(4), pages 315-38, December.
- Pajarinen, Mika & Rouvinen, Petri & Ylä-Anttila, Pekka, 2013. "Services: A New Source of Value," ETLA Brief 11, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kaija Hyvönen-Rajecki).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.