Is the Allocation of Voting Power among the EU States Fair?
AbstractThis paper assesses the current distribution of voting power in the EU Council of Ministers in terms of fairness. The aim of this paper is three-fold. First, we define fairness in the European context and discuss the potential definitions of the European Union; a state, an association of states or a federal state. Second, we look for a definition of the EU which, in terms of power allocation, corresponds best to the respective fairness criteria. Lastly, we suggest an empirical method to determine fair power allocations with a given definition of the EU.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy in its series Discussion Papers with number 556.
Length: 19 pages
Date of creation: 1996
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- Laruelle, Annick & Widgrén, Mika, 1996. "Is the Allocation of Voting Power Among the EU States Fair?," CEPR Discussion Papers 1402, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- C71 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Game Theory and Bargaining Theory - - - Cooperative Games
- D70 - Microeconomics - - Analysis of Collective Decision-Making - - - General
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Leech, Dennis, 2002. "Power Indices As An Aid To Institutional Design : The Generalised Apportionment Problem," The Warwick Economics Research Paper Series (TWERPS) 648, University of Warwick, Department of Economics.
- Berghammer, Rudolf & Rusinowska, Agnieszka & de Swart, Harrie, 2010.
"Applying relation algebra and RelView to measures in a social network,"
European Journal of Operational Research,
Elsevier, vol. 202(1), pages 182-195, April.
- Rudolf Berghammer & Agnieszka Rusinowska & Harrie De Swart, 2009. "Applying Relation Algebra and RelView to Measures in aSocial Network," Post-Print halshs-00355699, HAL.
- Rudolf Berghammer & Agnieszka Rusinowska & Harrie De Swart, 2010. "Applying relational algebra and RelView to measures in a social network," UniversitÃ© Paris1 PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers) hal-00515878, HAL.
- Rudolf Berghammer & Agnieszka Rusinowska & Harrie de Swart, 2009. "Applying Relation Algebra and RelView to Measures in a Social Network," Working Papers 0902, Groupe d'Analyse et de Théorie Economique (GATE), Centre national de la recherche scientifique (CNRS), Université Lyon 2, Ecole Normale Supérieure.
- Elisabetta Croci Angelini, 2007. "Resisting Globalization: Voting Power Indices and the National Interest in the EU Decision-making," Working Papers 08-2007, Macerata University, Department of Studies on Economic Development (DiSSE), revised Feb 2009.
- František Turnovec, 2005.
"New Measure of Voting Power,"
Working Papers IES
69, Charles University Prague, Faculty of Social Sciences, Institute of Economic Studies, revised 2005.
- Aarle, B. van & Engwerda, J.C. & Plasmans, J.E.J., 2002.
"Monetary and fiscal policy interaction in the EMU: A dynamic game approach,"
Open Access publications from Tilburg University
urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-91686, Tilburg University.
- Van Aarle B. & Engwerda J. & Plasmans J., 2001. "Monetary and fiscal policy interaction in the EMU: a dynamic game approach," Working Papers 2001005, University of Antwerp, Faculty of Applied Economics.
- Bas van Aarle & Jacob Engwerda & Joseph Plasmans, 2001. "Monetary and Fiscal Policy Interaction in the EMU: A Dynamic Game Approach," CESifo Working Paper Series 437, CESifo Group Munich.
- Aarle, B. van & Engwerda, J.C. & Plasmans, J.E.J., 2001. "Monetary and Fiscal Policy Interaction in the EMU: A Dynamic Game Approach," Open Access publications from Tilburg University urn:nbn:nl:ui:12-88307, Tilburg University.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kaija Hyvönen-Rajecki).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.