Productivity: An International Comparison
AbstractThis study conducts an international comparison of productivity and profitability. First, the level and growth of productivity are compared in OECD countries for the period from 1975 to 2009. According to this comparison, productivity growth has been faster in the key Finnish sectors com-pared with Finlands competitors. One of the main engines of growth since 1995 has been the ICT revolution. Second, the profitability of industries is calculated for 2007. Profitability is divided into productivity, prices and labour compensation. The results show that profitability in Finnish manufacturing is competitive because of the high productivity level in 2007. However, the measurement of profitability and the quality of price components require further research.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy in its series Discussion Papers with number 1264.
Length: 24 pages
Date of creation: 2012
Date of revision:
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- J24 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Demand and Supply of Labor - - - Human Capital; Skills; Occupational Choice; Labor Productivity
- J31 - Labor and Demographic Economics - - Wages, Compensation, and Labor Costs - - - Wage Level and Structure; Wage Differentials
- O47 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - Measurement of Economic Growth; Aggregate Productivity; Cross-Country Output Convergence
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Maliranta, Mika & Rouvinen, Petri, 2004.
"Informational Mobility and Productivity - Finnish Evidence,"
919, The Research Institute of the Finnish Economy.
- Mika Maliranta & Petri Rouvinen, 2006. "Informational mobility and productivity: Finnish evidence," Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 15(6), pages 605-616.
- Timmer, Marcel P. & Ypma, Gerard, 2006. "Productivity Levels in Distributive Trades: A New ICOP Dataset for OECD Countries," GGDC Research Memorandum GD-83, Groningen Growth and Development Centre, University of Groningen.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Kaija Hyvönen-Rajecki).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.