The Residual: On Monitoring and Benchmarking Firms, Industries, and Economies with respect to Productivity
AbstractInaugural address given in shortened form at the occasion of accepting the appointment as professor of business administration, in particular the measurement of price, quantity, and productivity changes and economic-statistical research, supported by Statistics Netherlands, at the Rotterdam School of Management / Faculteit Bedrijfskunde of Erasmus University Rotterdam on Friday, November 9, 2001
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Erasmus Research Institute of Management (ERIM), ERIM is the joint research institute of the Rotterdam School of Management, Erasmus University and the Erasmus School of Economics (ESE) at Erasmus University Rotterdam. in its series ERIM Inaugural Address Series Research in Management with number EIA-2001-007-MKT.
Date of creation: 09 Nov 2001
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: RSM Erasmus University & Erasmus School of Economics, PoBox 1738, 3000 DR Rotterdam
Phone: 31-10-408 1182
Fax: 31-10-408 9020
Web page: http://www.erim.eur.nl/
More information through EDIRC
Total Factor Productivity; decomposition; firm level data; index number theory; producer behaviour; profitability;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- C44 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods: Special Topics - - - Operations Research; Statistical Decision Theory
- M - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting
- M31 - Business Administration and Business Economics; Marketing; Accounting - - Marketing and Advertising - - - Marketing
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Zvi Griliches, 1995.
"The Discovery of the Residual: An Historical Note,"
NBER Working Papers
5348, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jose Zofio, 2007.
"Malmquist productivity index decompositions: a unifying framework,"
Applied Economics, Taylor & Francis Journals,
Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 39(18), pages 2371-2387.
- ZofÃo, JosÃ© Luis, 2006. "Malmquist Productivity Index Decompositions: A Unifying Framework," Working Papers in Economic Theory 2006/12, Universidad AutÃ³noma de Madrid (Spain), Department of Economic Analysis (Economic Theory and Economic History).
- James J. Heckman, 2001. "Micro Data, Heterogeneity, and the Evaluation of Public Policy: Nobel Lecture," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, University of Chicago Press, vol. 109(4), pages 673-748, August.
- Uwe Cantner & Horst Hanusch, 2000. "Heterogeneity and Evolutionary Change - Empirical Conception, Findings and Unresolved Issues," Discussion Paper Series, Universitaet Augsburg, Institute for Economics 190, Universitaet Augsburg, Institute for Economics.
- Grosskopf, Shawna & Moutray, Chad, 2001. "Evaluating performance in Chicago public high schools in the wake of decentralization," Economics of Education Review, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 20(1), pages 1-14, February.
- McGuckin, Robert H, 1995. "Establishment Microdata for Economic Research and Policy Analysis: Looking beyond the Aggregates," Journal of Business & Economic Statistics, American Statistical Association, American Statistical Association, vol. 13(1), pages 121-26, January.
- Zvi Griliches, 1995.
"The Discovery of the Residual: A Historic Note,"
Harvard Institute of Economic Research Working Papers
1742, Harvard - Institute of Economic Research.
- Griliches, Zvi & Regev, Haim, 1995. "Firm productivity in Israeli industry 1979-1988," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 65(1), pages 175-203, January.
- W. Erwin Diewert & Ann Marie Smith, 1994. "Productivity Measurement for a Distribution Firm," NBER Working Papers 4812, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Hugo Fuentes & Emili Grifell-TatjÃ© & Sergio Perelman, 2001. "A Parametric Distance Function Approach for Malmquist Productivity Index Estimation," Journal of Productivity Analysis, Springer, Springer, vol. 15(2), pages 79-94, March.
- Boone, J. & Ours, J.C. van & Wiel, H.P. van der, 2007.
"How (Not) to Measure Competition,"
Discussion Paper, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research
2007-32, Tilburg University, Center for Economic Research.
- Boone, J. & Ours, J.C. van & Wiel, H.P. van der, 2007. "How (Not) to Measure Competition," Discussion Paper, Tilburg University, Tilburg Law and Economic Center 2007-014, Tilburg University, Tilburg Law and Economic Center.
- Boone, Jan & van der Wiel, Henry & van Ours, Jan C, 2007. "How (not) to measure competition," CEPR Discussion Papers, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers 6275, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Jan Boone & Henry van der Wiel & J. van Ours, 2007. "How (not) to measure competition," CPB Discussion Paper 91, CPB Netherlands Bureau for Economic Policy Analysis.
- W. Erwin Diewert, 2002.
"Harmonized Indexes of Consumer Prices: Their Conceptual Foundations,"
Swiss Journal of Economics and Statistics (SJES), Swiss Society of Economics and Statistics (SSES),
Swiss Society of Economics and Statistics (SSES), vol. 138(IV), pages 547-637, December.
- Diewert, Erwin, 2002. "Harmonized indexes of consumer prices: their conceptual foundations," Working Paper Series, European Central Bank 0130, European Central Bank.
- Voskoboynikov, I. & Timmer, M.P. & Vries, G.J. de & Erumban, A. A. & Wu H.X., 2011.
"Deconstructing the BRICs: Structural Transformation and Aggregate Productivity Growth,"
GGDC Research Memorandum, Groningen Growth and Development Centre, University of Groningen
GD-121, Groningen Growth and Development Centre, University of Groningen.
- de Vries, Gaaitzen J. & Erumban, Abdul A. & Timmer, Marcel P. & Voskoboynikov, Ilya & Wu, Harry X., 2012. "Deconstructing the BRICs: Structural transformation and aggregate productivity growth," Journal of Comparative Economics, Elsevier, vol. 40(2), pages 211-227.
- Gaaitzen J. de Vries & Abdul A. Erumban & Marcel P. Timmer & Ilya B. Voskoboynikov & Harry X. Wu, 2011. "Deconstructing The BRICs: Structural Transformation And Aggregate Productivity Growth," HSE Working papers, National Research University Higher School of Economics WP BRP 04/EC/2011, National Research University Higher School of Economics.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (RePub).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.