What Does Total Factor Productivity Measure?
AbstractIn this article, as part of the symposium on total factor productivity, Richard G. Lipsey of Simon Fraser University and Kenneth Carlaw of the University of Canterbury in New Zealand provide a trenchant critique of the concept of total factor productivity. They conclude that "the degree of confusion surrounding TFP, particularly the assumption that low TFP numbers imply a low degree of technological dynamism, would seem to us to justify dropping the measure completely from all discussions of long term economic growth".
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Centre for the Study of Living Standards in its journal International Productivity Monitor.
Volume (Year): 1 (2000)
Issue (Month): (Fall)
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D24 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - Production; Cost; Capital; Capital, Total Factor, and Multifactor Productivity; Capacity
- B41 - Schools of Economic Thought and Methodology - - Economic Methodology - - - Economic Methodology
- O31 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Innovation and Invention: Processes and Incentives
- O47 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Growth and Aggregate Productivity - - - Measurement of Economic Growth; Aggregate Productivity; Cross-Country Output Convergence
- E13 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - General Aggregative Models - - - Neoclassical
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Santosh Kumar Sahu & Krishnan Narayanan, 2011. "Total Factor Productivity and Energy Intensity in Indian Manufacturing: A Cross-Sectional Study," International Journal of Energy Economics and Policy, Econjournals, vol. 1(2), pages 47-58, September.
- Andrew Sharpe, 2001. "Productivity Trends in the Construction Sector in Canada: A Case of Lagging Technical Progress," International Productivity Monitor, Centre for the Study of Living Standards, vol. 3, pages 52-68, Fall.
- Andrew Sharpe, 2002. "What Have We Learned About Productivity in the Last Two Decades?: A Review Article on New Developments in Productivity Analysis," International Productivity Monitor, Centre for the Study of Living Standards, vol. 4, pages 53-63, Spring.
- Jens J. Krüger, 2004. "Productivity Dynamics and Structural Change in the U.S. Manufacturing Sector," Jenaer Schriften zur Wirtschaftswissenschaft 30/2004, Friedrich-Schiller-Universität Jena, Wirtschaftswissenschaftliche Fakultät.
- Richard Lipsey, 2001. "Successes and failures in the transformation of economics," Journal of Economic Methodology, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 8(2), pages 169-201.
- Centre for the Study of Living Standards, 2003. "Productivity Trends in Natural Resources Industries in Canada," CSLS Research Reports 2003-01, Centre for the Study of Living Standards.
- Centre for the Study of Living Standards, 2001. "Productivity Trends in the Construction Sector in Canada: A Case of Lagging Technical Progress," CSLS Research Reports 01cp, Centre for the Study of Living Standards.
- Arby, Muhammad Farooq, 2008. "Some Issues in the National Income Accounts of Pakistan (Rebasing, Quarterly and Provincial Accounts and Growth Accounting)," MPRA Paper 32048, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Jaakko Kiander & Elina Berghäll, 2003. "The Finnish Model of STI Policy: Experiences and Guidelines. KNOGG Thematic Network WP4 Country Report - Finland," Discussion Papers 313, Government Institute for Economic Research Finland (VATT).
- Andrew Sharpe & Olivier Guibaud, 2005. "Indicators of Innovation in Canadian Natural Resource Industries," CSLS Research Reports 2005-03, Centre for the Study of Living Standards.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Whitney Hamilton) The email address of this maintainer does not seem to be valid anymore. Please ask Whitney Hamilton to update the entry or send us the correct address.
If you have authored this item and are not yet registered with RePEc, we encourage you to do it here. This allows to link your profile to this item. It also allows you to accept potential citations to this item that we are uncertain about.
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.
If the full references list an item that is present in RePEc, but the system did not link to it, you can help with this form.
If you know of missing items citing this one, you can help us creating those links by adding the relevant references in the same way as above, for each refering item. If you are a registered author of this item, you may also want to check the "citations" tab in your profile, as there may be some citations waiting for confirmation.
Please note that corrections may take a couple of weeks to filter through the various RePEc services.