Rural Livelihoods, Poverty, and the Millennium Development Goals: Evidence from Ethiopian Survey Data
AbstractThis paper provides an in-depth look at some of the key development issues facing households in Ethiopia, in the context of the Millennium Development Goals (MDG). Using household survey data from 2000, 2002, and 2005, we found that Ethiopia is making progress toward some vital MDG goals, but household incomes are shockingly low and hugely varied. Assets could potentially help smooth consumption when incomes vary, but because land is owned by the government, it cannot serve as a true, functioning asset. The current property rights structure excessively limits households’ options.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Resources For the Future in its series Discussion Papers with number dp-08-07-efd.
Date of creation: 15 Jun 2008
Date of revision:
Millennium Development Goals; rural poverty; Africa; Ethiopia;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- I31 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare, Well-Being, and Poverty - - - General Welfare, Well-Being
- I32 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare, Well-Being, and Poverty - - - Measurement and Analysis of Poverty
- I38 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare, Well-Being, and Poverty - - - Government Programs; Provision and Effects of Welfare Programs
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Christiaensen, Luc J.M. & Boisvert, Richard N., 2000. "On Measuring Household Food Vulnerability: Case Evidence from Northern Mali," Working Papers 127676, Cornell University, Department of Applied Economics and Management.
- Bhalotra, Sonia & Heady, Christopher, 2001.
"Child farm labour : the wealth paradox,"
Social Protection Discussion Papers
24088, The World Bank.
- Raj Chetty & Adam Looney, 2005.
"Consumption Smoothing and the Welfare Consequences of Social Insurance in Developing Economies,"
NBER Working Papers
11709, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Chetty, Raj & Looney, Adam, 2006. "Consumption smoothing and the welfare consequences of social insurance in developing economies," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 90(12), pages 2351-2356, December.
- Marcel Fafchamps & Susan Lund, .
"Risk Sharing Networks in Rural Philippines,"
97014, Stanford University, Department of Economics.
- Ranjan Ray, 2002.
"The Determinants of Child Labour and Child Schooling in Ghana,"
Journal of African Economies,
Centre for the Study of African Economies (CSAE), vol. 11(4), pages 561-590, December.
- Ray, R., 2000. "The Determinants of Child Labour and Child Schooling in Ghana," Papers 2000-5, Tasmania - Department of Economics.
- Minot, Nicholas & Baulch, Bob & Epperecht, Michael, 2006. "Poverty and inequality in Vietnam: spatial patterns and geographic determinants," Research reports 148, International Food Policy Research Institute (IFPRI).
- Dehejia, Rajeev & DeLeire, Thomas & Luttmer, Erzo F. P., 2005.
"Insuring Consumption and Happiness through Religious Organizations,"
Working Paper Series
rwp05-047, Harvard University, John F. Kennedy School of Government.
- Dehejia, Rajeev & DeLeire, Thomas & Luttmer, Erzo F.P., 2007. "Insuring consumption and happiness through religious organizations," Journal of Public Economics, Elsevier, vol. 91(1-2), pages 259-279, February.
- Rajeev Dehejia & Thomas DeLeire & Erzo F.P. Luttmer, 2005. "Insuring Consumption and Happiness Through Religious Organizations," NBER Working Papers 11576, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Fafchamps, Marcel & Gubert, Flore, 2007.
"The formation of risk sharing networks,"
Journal of Development Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 83(2), pages 326-350, July.
- Marcel Fafchamps & Flore Gubert, 2005. "The Formation of Risk Sharing Networks," Working Papers DT/2005/13, DIAL (Développement, Institutions et Mondialisation).
- Gubert, Flore & Fafchamps, Marcel, 2007. "The Formation of Risk Sharing Networks," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/4392, Paris Dauphine University.
- Marcel Fafchamps & Flore Gubert, 2005. "The Formation of Risk Sharing Networks," Economics Series Working Papers GPRG-WPS-037, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Eyob Fissuh & Mark Harris, 2004. "Determinants of Poverty in Eritrea: A Household level Analysis," Econometric Society 2004 Australasian Meetings 364, Econometric Society.
- John Casterline & Elizabeth Cooksey & Abdel Ismail, 1989. "Household income and child survival in Egypt," Demography, Springer, vol. 26(1), pages 15-35, February.
- Kassie, Menale & Holden, Stein & Köhlin, Gunnar & Bluffstone, Randy, 2008.
"Economics of Soil Conservation Adoption in High-Rainfall Areas of the Ethiopian Highlands,"
dp-08-09-efd, Resources For the Future.
- Kassie, Menale & Holden, Stein & Köhlin, Gunnar & Bluffstone, Randy, 2009. "Economics of Soil Conservation Adoption in High-Rainfall Areas of the Ethiopian Highlands," Working Papers in Economics 400, University of Gothenburg, Department of Economics.
- Mekonnen, Alemu & Bluffstone, Ramdall, 2008. "Is There a Link between Common Property Forest Management and Private Tree Growing? Evidence of Behavioral Effects from Highland Ethiopia," Discussion Papers dp-08-29-efd, Resources For the Future.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Webmaster).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.