Solving Dynamic Models with Heterogeneous Agents and Aggregate Uncertainty with Dynare or Dynare++
Abstractuncertainty can be solved using Dynare or Dynare++ software that implements a perturbation approach. When the explicit aggregation algorithm (XPA) is used to obtain aggregate laws of motion, this can be accomplished by combining a Dynare program with a very simple Matlab program. When the Krusell-Smith algorithm is used, then the Matlab program needed is somewhat more involved, but still relatively simple. We calculate and compare first and second-order numerical solutions using both algorithms. These numerical procedures are also compared with the algorithm that solves the individual policy rules with a projection instead of a perturbation procedure. Finally, we discuss a procedure that efficiently chooses which cross-sectional moments to include as aggregate state variables when nonlinearities are important and the mean is not a sufficient statistic.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Society for Economic Dynamics in its series 2009 Meeting Papers with number 776.
Date of creation: 2009
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Society for Economic Dynamics Christian Zimmermann Economic Research Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis PO Box 442 St. Louis MO 63166-0442 USA
Web page: http://www.EconomicDynamics.org/society.htm
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bruce Preston & Mauro Roca, 2007. "Incomplete Markets, Heterogeneity and Macroeconomic Dynamics," NBER Working Papers 13260, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Krusell, P & Smith Jr, A-A, 1995.
"Income and Wealth Heterogeneity in the Macroeconomic,"
RCER Working Papers
399, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Per Krusell & Anthony A. Smith & Jr., 1998. "Income and Wealth Heterogeneity in the Macroeconomy," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 106(5), pages 867-896, October.
- Per Krusell & Anthony A. Smith, Jr., . "Income and Wealth Heterogeneity in the Macroeconomy," GSIA Working Papers 1997-37, Carnegie Mellon University, Tepper School of Business.
- Kenneth L. Judd, 1998. "Numerical Methods in Economics," MIT Press Books, The MIT Press, edition 1, volume 1, number 0262100711, January.
- Den Haan, Wouter J. & Rendahl, Pontus, 2010.
"Solving the incomplete markets model with aggregate uncertainty using explicit aggregation,"
Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control,
Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 69-78, January.
- Den Haan, Wouter & Rendahl, Pontus, 2008. "Solving the Incomplete Markets Model with Aggregate Uncertainty using Explicit Aggregation," CEPR Discussion Papers 6963, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Kim, Sunghyun Henry & Kollmann, Robert & Kim, Jinill, 2010. "Solving the incomplete market model with aggregate uncertainty using a perturbation method," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 34(1), pages 50-58, January.
- Luisa Lambertini & Caterina Mendicino & Maria Teresa Punzi, 2011.
"Leaning Against Boom-Bust Cycles in Credit and Housing Prices,"
Working Papers CELEG
1104, Dipartimento di Economia e Finanza, LUISS Guido Carli.
- Lambertini, Luisa & Mendicino, Caterina & Teresa Punzi, Maria, 2013. "Leaning against boom–bust cycles in credit and housing prices," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 37(8), pages 1500-1522.
- Luisa Lambertini & Caterina Mendicino & Maria Tereza Punzi, 2011. "Leaning Against Boom-Bust Cycles in Credit and Housing Prices," Working Papers w201108, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- Luisa Lambertini & Caterina Mendicino & Maria Teresa Punzi, 2011. "Leaning Against Boom-Bust Cycles in Credit and Housing Prices," Working Papers 201101, Center for Fiscal Policy, Swiss Federal Institute of Technology Lausanne, revised Mar 2011.
- Caterina Mendicino, 2008.
"On the Amplification Role of Collateral Constraints,"
08-23, Bank of Canada.
- Mendicino, Caterina, 2012. "On the amplification role of collateral constraints," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 117(2), pages 429-435.
- Caterina Mendicino, 2009. "On the Amplification Role of Collateral Constraints," 2009 Meeting Papers 1013, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Caterina Mendicino, 2011. "On the amplification role of collateral constraints," Working Papers w201115, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- Mendicino, Caterina, 2008. "On the amplification role of collateral constraints," MPRA Paper 9425, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christian Zimmermann).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.