Optimal Monetary Policy with Credit Augmented Liquidity Cycles
AbstractThe optimal response of monetary policy to financial instability is a long standing question whose policy relevance is now emphasized by the increase in available liquidity and in firms’ financial exposure. Bernanke, Gertler and Gilchrist (1998) build a model in which credit frictions occur on the demand for capital investment and induce demand driven fluctuations which exacerbate shock transmission. In this context the policy maker does not face any trade-off as output stabilization is achieved through inflation targeting. I build a sticky price DSGE model in which the demand for working capital is affected both by a cost channel and an external finance premium. In this context the policy instrument affects the cost of collateralizable loans which in turn affects firms’ marginal cost and inflation dynamics (supply side driven fluctuations). The optimal monetary policy design is based upon both constrained and global Ramsey policies. Results show that: a) the optimal inflation level lies between zero and the one prescribed by the Friedman rule, b) the optimal dynamic path features deviations from price stability, c) the optimal rule features asset price targeting.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Society for Economic Dynamics in its series 2008 Meeting Papers with number 414.
Date of creation: 2008
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Society for Economic Dynamics Christian Zimmermann Economic Research Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis PO Box 442 St. Louis MO 63166-0442 USA
Web page: http://www.EconomicDynamics.org/society.htm
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bernardino Adao & Isabel Correia & Pedro Teles, 2003.
"Gaps and Triangles,"
Review of Economic Studies,
Wiley Blackwell, vol. 70(4), pages 699-713, October.
- Adao, Bernardino & Correia, Maria Isabel Horta & Teles, Pedro, 2001. "Gaps and Triangles," CEPR Discussion Papers 2668, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Bernardino Adão & Isabel Correia & Pedro Teles, 2001. "Gaps and triangles," Working Paper Series WP-01-13, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Bernardino Adao, 2000. "Gaps and Triangles," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 1904, Econometric Society.
- Bernardino Adão & Isabel Horta Correia & Pedro Teles, 2001. "Gaps and Triangles," Working Papers w200102, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- Tommaso Monacelli & Ester Faia, 2005.
"Optimal Interest Rate Rules, Asset Prices and Credit Frictions,"
Computing in Economics and Finance 2005
452, Society for Computational Economics.
- Faia, Ester & Monacelli, Tommaso, 2007. "Optimal interest rate rules, asset prices, and credit frictions," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 31(10), pages 3228-3254, October.
- Faia, Ester, 2006.
"Optimal monetary policy rules with labor market frictions,"
Working Paper Series
0698, European Central Bank.
- Faia, Ester, 2008. "Optimal monetary policy rules with labor market frictions," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 32(5), pages 1600-1621, May.
- Fiorella de Fiore & Pedro Teles & Oreste Tristani, 2009.
"Monetary Policy and the Financing of Firms,"
w200917, Banco de Portugal, Economics and Research Department.
- De Fiore, Fiorella & Teles, Pedro & Tristani, Oreste, 2009. "Monetary Policy and the Financing of Firms," Working Paper Series 1123, European Central Bank.
- De Fiore, Fiorella & Teles, Pedro & Tristani, Oreste, 2009. "Monetary Policy and the Financing of Firms," CEPR Discussion Papers 7419, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Pedro Teles & Oreste Tristani & Fiorella De Fiore, 2009. "Monetary Policy and the Financing of Firms," 2009 Meeting Papers 633, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- De Fiore, Fiorella & Tristani, Oreste, 2009.
"Optimal monetary policy in a model of the credit channel,"
Working Paper Series
1043, European Central Bank.
- Fiorella De Fiore & Oreste Tristani, 2013. "Optimal Monetary Policy in a Model of the Credit Channel," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 123(571), pages 906-931, 09.
- Tillmann, Peter, 2009. "The time-varying cost channel of monetary transmission," Journal of International Money and Finance, Elsevier, vol. 28(6), pages 941-953, October.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christian Zimmermann).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.