Plants, Vintage Capital and Energy Use
AbstractThis paper studies the aggregate effects of rising prices of energy. We do this in two different macroeconomic models of energy use at the plant level. In the first one, capital cannot be reallocated from plants that use more energy intensive technologies to plants that use more energy saving technologies. In the second model, capital can be freely reallocated across plants but subject to adjustment costs. First, we illustrate the connections between the alternative assumptions on the technology. Then we show how to reinterpret the results obtained with these plant models in terms of vintage capital, and thus, obsolescence. Finally, we evaluate the response of the two models, calibrated to US and EU data, to alternative scenarios for energy price shocks in the years to come.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Society for Economic Dynamics in its series 2007 Meeting Papers with number 411.
Date of creation: 2007
Date of revision:
Contact details of provider:
Postal: Society for Economic Dynamics Christian Zimmermann Economic Research Federal Reserve Bank of St. Louis PO Box 442 St. Louis MO 63166-0442 USA
Web page: http://www.EconomicDynamics.org/society.htm
More information through EDIRC
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Antonia Díaz & Luis A. Puch & María D. Guilló, 2001.
"Costly capital reallocation and energy use,"
Documentos de Trabajo del ICAE
0111, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Facultad de Ciencias Económicas y Empresariales, Instituto Complutense de Análisis Económico.
- Luis A. Puch & Antonia Díaz & María D. Guilló, 2001. "Costly Capital Reallocation And Energy Use," Economics Working Papers we015215, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía.
- María Dolores Guilló & Antonia Díaz & Luis A. Puch, 2002. "Costly Capital Reallocation And Enery Use," Working Papers. Serie AD 2002-14, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Patrick J. Kehoe & Andrew Atkeson, 1999.
"Models of Energy Use: Putty-Putty versus Putty-Clay,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 89(4), pages 1028-1043, September.
- Andrew Atkeson & Patrick J. Kehoe, 1994. "Models of Energy Use: Putty-Putty versus Putty-Clay," NBER Working Papers 4833, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Jess Benhabib & Aldo Rustichini, 1990.
"Vintage Capital, Investment and Growth,"
886, Northwestern University, Center for Mathematical Studies in Economics and Management Science.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christian Zimmermann).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.