Costly Capital Reallocation And Energy Use
AbstractIn thime series data, energy use does not change much with energy price changes. However, energy use is responsive to international differences in energy prices in cross-section data across countries. In this paper we consider a model of energy use in which production takes place at individual plants and capital can be used either to directly produce output or to reduce toe energy required to run the plant. We assume that reallocating capital from one use to another is costly. This turns out to be crucial for the quantitative properties of the model to be in conformity with the low short-run and high long-run elasticities of energy use seen in data. Furthermore, our model displays variations in capacity utilization that are in line with those observed during the period of major oil price increases.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía in its series Economics Working Papers with number we015215.
Date of creation: May 2001
Date of revision:
Other versions of this item:
- Antonia Díaz & Luis A. Puch & María D. Guilló, 2001. "Costly capital reallocation and energy use," Documentos del Instituto Complutense de AnÃ¡lisis EconÃ³mico 0111, Universidad Complutense de Madrid, Facultad de Ciencias Económicas y Empresariales.
- Puch, Luis A. & Díaz, Antonia & Guilló, María D., . "Costly capital reallocation and energy use," Open Access publications from Universidad Carlos III de Madrid info:hdl:10016/259, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid.
- María Dolores Guilló & Antonia Díaz & Luis A. Puch, 2002. "Costly Capital Reallocation And Enery Use," Working Papers. Serie AD 2002-14, Instituto Valenciano de Investigaciones Económicas, S.A. (Ivie).
- Díaz, Antonia & Puch, Luis A. & Guilló, M. Dolores, . "Costly capital reallocation and enery use," Open Access publications from Universidad Carlos III de Madrid info:hdl:10016/4943, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid.
- E22 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomics: Consumption, Saving, Production, Employment, and Investment - - - Capital; Investment; Capacity
- E23 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Macroeconomics: Consumption, Saving, Production, Employment, and Investment - - - Production
- Q43 - Agricultural and Natural Resource Economics; Environmental and Ecological Economics - - Energy - - - Energy and the Macroeconomy
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Mark E Doms, 1993. "Energy Intensity, Electricity Consumption, and Advanced Manufacturing Technology Usage," Working Papers 93-9, Center for Economic Studies, U.S. Census Bureau.
- Stavins, Robert & Jaffe, Adam & Newell, Richard, 1998.
"The Induced Innovation Hypothesis and Energy-Saving Technological Change,"
dp-98-12-rev, Resources For the Future.
- Richard G. Newell & Adam B. Jaffe & Robert N. Stavins, 1999. "The Induced Innovation Hypothesis And Energy-Saving Technological Change," The Quarterly Journal of Economics, MIT Press, vol. 114(3), pages 941-975, August.
- Richard G. Newell & Adam B. Jaffe & Robert N. Stavins, 1998. "The Induced Innovation Hypothesis and Energy-Saving Technological Change," NBER Working Papers 6437, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Steven J. Davis & John Haltiwanger, 1999.
"Sectoral Job Creation and Destruction Responses to Oil Price Changes,"
NBER Working Papers
7095, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Davis, Steven J. & Haltiwanger, John, 2001. "Sectoral job creation and destruction responses to oil price changes," Journal of Monetary Economics, Elsevier, vol. 48(3), pages 465-512, December.
- Hamilton, James D, 1988. "A Neoclassical Model of Unemployment and the Business Cycle," Journal of Political Economy, University of Chicago Press, vol. 96(3), pages 593-617, June.
- Goulder Lawrence H., 1995. "Effects of Carbon Taxes in an Economy with Prior Tax Distortions: An Intertemporal General Equilibrium Analysis," Journal of Environmental Economics and Management, Elsevier, vol. 29(3), pages 271-297, November.
- Patrick J. Kehoe & Andrew Atkeson, 1999.
"Models of Energy Use: Putty-Putty versus Putty-Clay,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 89(4), pages 1028-1043, September.
- Andrew Atkeson & Patrick J. Kehoe, 1994. "Models of Energy Use: Putty-Putty versus Putty-Clay," NBER Working Papers 4833, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Sakellaris, Plutarchos, 1997. "Irreversible Capital and the Stock Market Response to Shocks in Profitability," International Economic Review, Department of Economics, University of Pennsylvania and Osaka University Institute of Social and Economic Research Association, vol. 38(2), pages 351-79, May.
- Rotemberg, Julio J & Woodford, Michael, 1996.
"Imperfect Competition and the Effects of Energy Price Increases on Economic Activity,"
Journal of Money, Credit and Banking,
Blackwell Publishing, vol. 28(4), pages 550-77, November.
- Julio J. Rotemberg & Michael Woodford, 1996. "Imperfect Competition and the Effects of Energy Price Increases on Economic Activity," NBER Working Papers 5634, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Rogerson, Richard, 1988.
"Indivisible labor, lotteries and equilibrium,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 21(1), pages 3-16, January.
- Gary Hansen, 2010.
"Indivisible Labor and the Business Cycle,"
Levine's Working Paper Archive
233, David K. Levine.
- Berndt, Ernst R & Wood, David O, 1975. "Technology, Prices, and the Derived Demand for Energy," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 57(3), pages 259-68, August.
- King, Robert G & Rebelo, Sergio T, 1993.
"Transitional Dynamics and Economic Growth in the Neoclassical Model,"
American Economic Review,
American Economic Association, vol. 83(4), pages 908-31, September.
- Robert G. King & Sergio T. Rebelo, 1995. "Transitional Dynamics and Economic Growth in the Neoclassical Model," NBER Working Papers 3185, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- King, R.G. & Rebelo, S.T., 1989. "Transitional Dynamics And Economic Growth In The Neoclassical Model," RCER Working Papers 206, University of Rochester - Center for Economic Research (RCER).
- Jorgenson, Dale W. & Wilcoxen, Peter J., 1993. "Reducing US carbon emissions: an econometric general equilibrium assessment," Resource and Energy Economics, Elsevier, vol. 15(1), pages 7-25, March.
- Lawrence H. Goulder, 1993. "Energy Taxes: Traditional Efficiency Effects and Environmental Implications," NBER Working Papers 4582, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Finn, Mary G., 1995. "Variance properties of Solow's productivity residual and their cyclical implications," Journal of Economic Dynamics and Control, Elsevier, vol. 19(5-7), pages 1249-1281.
- Pindyck, Robert S & Rotemberg, Julio J, 1983. "Dynamic Factor Demands and the Effects of Energy Price Shocks," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 73(5), pages 1066-79, December.
- Cooley, Thomas F & Hansen, Gary D & Prescott, Edward C, 1995.
"Equilibrium Business Cycles with Idle Resources and Variable Capacity Utilization,"
Springer, vol. 6(1), pages 35-49, June.
- Thomas F. Cooley & Gary D. Hansen & Edward C. Prescott, 1994. "Equilibrium business cycles with idle resources and variable capacity utilization," Working Papers 94-22, Federal Reserve Bank of Philadelphia.
- Juillard, Michel, 1996. "Dynare : a program for the resolution and simulation of dynamic models with forward variables through the use of a relaxation algorithm," CEPREMAP Working Papers (Couverture Orange) 9602, CEPREMAP.
- Griffin, James M & Gregory, Paul R, 1976. "An Intercountry Translog Model of Energy Substitution Responses," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 66(5), pages 845-57, December.
- Pindyck, Robert S, 1979. "Interfuel Substitution and the Industrial Demand for Energy: An International Comparison," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 61(2), pages 169-79, May.
- In-Moo Kim & Prakash Loungani, 1991.
"The role of energy in real business cycle models,"
Working Paper Series, Macroeconomic Issues
91-6, Federal Reserve Bank of Chicago.
- Bresnahan, Timothy F & Ramey, Valerie A, 1993. "Segment Shifts and Capacity Utilization in the U.S. Automobile Industry," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 83(2), pages 213-18, May.
- F. Ricci, 2004.
"Environmental Policy and Growth when Inputs are Differentiated in Pollution Intensity,"
THEMA Working Papers
2004-23, THEMA (THéorie Economique, Modélisation et Applications), Université de Cergy-Pontoise.
- Francesco Ricci, 2007. "Environmental policy and growth when inputs are differentiated in pollution intensity," Environmental & Resource Economics, European Association of Environmental and Resource Economists, vol. 38(3), pages 285-310, November.
- Teresa Sousa, 2011. "International macroeconomic interdependence and imports of oil in a small open economy," Portuguese Economic Journal, Springer, vol. 10(1), pages 35-60, April.
- Antonia Díaz & Luis A. Puch, 2013. "A theory of investment and energy use," Economics Working Papers we1320, Universidad Carlos III, Departamento de Economía.
- Federico Revelli, 2012.
"Business taxation and economic performance in hierarchical government structures,"
2012/12, Institut d'Economia de Barcelona (IEB).
- Revelli Federico, 2012. "Business taxation and economic performance in hierarchical government structures," Department of Economics and Statistics Cognetti de Martiis. Working Papers 201204, University of Turin.
- Luis A. Puch & Antonia Díaz, 2007. "Plants, Vintage Capital and Energy Use," 2007 Meeting Papers 411, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Luisa Fernanda Gutierrez & Gustavo A. Marrero & Luis A. Puch, 2010. "Los efectos medioambientales del boom y el parón inmobiliario," Economic Reports 01-2010, FEDEA.
- Luis Puch & Antonia DÃaz, 2012. "A Theory of Energy Use," 2012 Meeting Papers 802, Society for Economic Dynamics.
- Claudia S. Gómez-López & Luis A. Puch, 2008. "Uso de Energía en Economías Exportadoras de Petróleo," Economic Reports 24-08, FEDEA.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.