Compensation and the Abandoned Property of the 1948 Palestinian Refugees: Assessment and Implications
AbstractThis paper extends the analysis of "Agricultural Property and the 1948 Palestinian Refugees: Assessing the Loss" (Lewis 1996) to non-agricultural property. The estimate is based mainly on the area of urban property abandoned by refugees, where valuations are based on contemporary transfer prices, tax payable on the property, and inferences about rent. The amounts are much higher than those derived by the United Nations Conciliation Commission in 1951. Still the total implied by this paper and (Lewis 1996) is such that if Israel were to pay the overall loss as compensation, the transfers are unlikely to have a serious impact on their economy
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Queen's University, Department of Economics in its series Working Papers with number 1117.
Length: 36 pages
Date of creation: Dec 2006
Date of revision:
Publication status: Forthcoming in Explorations in Economic History
Other versions of this item:
- Lewis, Frank D., 2007. "Compensation and the abandoned property of the 1948 Palestinian refugees: Assessment and implications," Explorations in Economic History, Elsevier, vol. 44(4), pages 523-537, October.
- NEP-ALL-2007-02-10 (All new papers)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Brakman,Steven & Marrewijk,Charles van, 1998.
"The Economics of International Transfers,"
Cambridge University Press, number 9780521572149, April.
- Lewis, Frank D., 1996. "Agricultural Property and the 1948 Palestinian Refugees: Assessing the Loss," Explorations in Economic History, Elsevier, vol. 33(2), pages 169-194, April.
- Devereux, Michael B. & Smith, Gregor W., 2007.
"Transfer problem dynamics: Macroeconomics of the Franco-Prussian war indemnity,"
Journal of Monetary Economics,
Elsevier, vol. 54(8), pages 2375-2398, November.
- Michael B. Devereux & Gregor W. Smith, 2005. "Transfer Problem Dynamics: Macroeconomics of the Franco-Prussian War Indemnity," Working Papers 1025, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Michael B. Devereux & Gregor W. Smith, 2004. "Transfer Problem Dynamics: Macroeonomics of the Franco-Prussian War Indemnity," Working Papers 022004, Hong Kong Institute for Monetary Research.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Mark Babcock).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.