Firm's cooperation activities: The relevance of public research, proximity and personal ties - A study of technology-oriented firms in East Germany
AbstractCooperation in innovation processes has become crucial for the competitiveness of many firms. This paper focuses on technology-oriented East German firms and analyses details of their cooperation behaviour by studying the relationships between geographic and social proximity, the importance and frequency of cooperative interaction and the attributes of innovation cooperation partners that influence the importance of cooperation. Data is collected in two questionnaires and analysed by regressions. It is found, among other results, that cooperation that is established via personal contacts is, on average, more helpful and important for firms but involves less frequent interaction.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Philipps University Marburg, Department of Geography in its series Working Papers on Innovation and Space with number 2013-06.
Length: 27 pages
Date of creation: 04 2013
Date of revision:
cooperation; firm; East Germany; policy;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D20 - Microeconomics - - Production and Organizations - - - General
- I28 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Education - - - Government Policy
- O32 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Management of Technological Innovation and R&D
- R11 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Regional Economic Activity: Growth, Development, Environmental Issues, and Changes
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-04-27 (All new papers)
- NEP-CSE-2013-04-27 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-GEO-2013-04-27 (Economic Geography)
- NEP-HME-2013-04-27 (Heterodox Microeconomics)
- NEP-INO-2013-04-27 (Innovation)
- NEP-KNM-2013-04-27 (Knowledge Management & Knowledge Economy)
- NEP-SBM-2013-04-27 (Small Business Management)
- NEP-URE-2013-04-27 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bronwyn Hall & Albert N. Link and John T. Scott, 2000.
"Universities as Research Partners,"
Economics Series Working Papers
2000-W18, University of Oxford, Department of Economics.
- Bronwyn H. Hall, Albert N. Link and John T. Scott., 2000. "Universities as Research Partners," Economics Working Papers E00-276, University of California at Berkeley.
- Hall, Browyn H. & Link, Albert N. & Scott, John T., 2000. "Universities as Research Partners," Department of Economics, Working Paper Series qt1np920r9, Department of Economics, Institute for Business and Economic Research, UC Berkeley.
- Hall, Bronwyn & Link, Albert & Scott, John, 2010. "Universities as Research Partners," Working Papers 10-9, University of North Carolina at Greensboro, Department of Economics.
- Bronwyn H. Hall & Albert N. Link & John T. Scott, 2000. "Universities as Research Partners," NBER Working Papers 7643, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Bronwyn H. Hall & Albert N. Link & John T. Scott, 2001. "Universities as Research Partners," Development and Comp Systems 0012001, EconWPA.
- D'Este, P. & Patel, P., 2007. "University-industry linkages in the UK: What are the factors underlying the variety of interactions with industry?," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(9), pages 1295-1313, November.
- Bjorn Asheim & Helen Lawton Smith & Christine Oughton, 2011. "Regional Innovation Systems: Theory, Empirics and Policy," Regional Studies, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 45(7), pages 875-891.
- Negassi, S., 2004. "R&D co-operation and innovation a microeconometric study on French firms," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 33(3), pages 365-384, April.
- Miotti, Luis & Sachwald, Frederique, 2003. "Co-operative R&D: why and with whom?: An integrated framework of analysis," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 32(8), pages 1481-1499, September.
- Spyros Arvanitis & Thomas Bolli, 2009. "A Comparison of Firm-level Innovation Cooperation in Five European Countries," KOF Working papers 09-232, KOF Swiss Economic Institute, ETH Zurich.
- Cowan, Robin & Zinovyeva, Natalia, 2013.
"University effects on regional innovation,"
Elsevier, vol. 42(3), pages 788-800.
- Laura Abramovsky & Elisabeth Kremp & Alberto Lopez & Tobias Schmidt & Helen Simpson, 2009. "Understanding co-operative innovative activity: evidence from four European countries," Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 18(3), pages 243-265.
- Geuna, Aldo & Anthony Arundel, 2003.
"Proximity and the Use of Public Science by Innovate European Firms,"
Royal Economic Society Annual Conference 2003
86, Royal Economic Society.
- Anthony Arundel & Aldo Geuna, 2004. "Proximity and the use of public science by innovative European firms," Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 13(6), pages 559-580.
- Arundel, Anthony & Geuna, Aldo, 2004. "Proximity and the use of public science by innovative European firms," Open Access publications from Maastricht University urn:nbn:nl:ui:27-19059, Maastricht University.
- Thomas Brenner & Uwe Cantner & Dirk Fornahl & Martina Fromhold‐Eisebith & Claudia Werker, 2011. "Regional innovation systems, clusters, and knowledge networking," Papers in Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 90(2), pages 243-249, 06.
- Cassiman, Bruno & Veugelers, Reinhilde & Zuniga, Pluvia, 2010. "Diversity of science linkages: A survey of innovation performance effects and some evidence from Flemish firms," Economics - The Open-Access, Open-Assessment E-Journal, Kiel Institute for the World Economy, vol. 4(33), pages 1-26.
- Bozeman, Barry, 2000. "Technology transfer and public policy: a review of research and theory," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 29(4-5), pages 627-655, April.
- Fritsch, Michael & Lukas, Rolf, 1998.
"Who Cooperates on R&D?,"
Freiberg Working Papers
1998,12, TU Bergakademie Freiberg, Faculty of Economics and Business Administration.
- Segarra-Blasco, Agusti & Arauzo-Carod, Josep-Maria, 2008. "Sources of innovation and industry-university interaction: Evidence from Spanish firms," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 37(8), pages 1283-1295, September.
- Wesley M. Cohen & Richard R. Nelson & John P. Walsh, 2002. "Links and Impacts: The Influence of Public Research on Industrial R&D," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 48(1), pages 1-23, January.
- Rost, Katja, 2011. "The strength of strong ties in the creation of innovation," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 40(4), pages 588-604, May.
- Ron Boschma, 2005. "Proximity and Innovation: A Critical Assessment," Regional Studies, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 39(1), pages 61-74.
- Okamuro, Hiroyuki, 2007. "Determinants of successful R&D cooperation in Japanese small businesses: The impact of organizational and contractual characteristics," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(10), pages 1529-1544, December.
- Audretsch, David B & Feldman, Maryann P, 1996. "R&D Spillovers and the Geography of Innovation and Production," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 86(3), pages 630-40, June.
- Manfred Paier & Thomas Scherngell, 2011. "Determinants of Collaboration in European R&D Networks: Empirical Evidence from a Discrete Choice Model," Industry & Innovation, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 18(1), pages 89-104.
- Bercovitz, Janet E.L. & Feldman, Maryann P., 2007. "Fishing upstream: Firm innovation strategy and university research alliances," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(7), pages 930-948, September.
- Autant-Bernard, Corinne, 2001. "Science and knowledge flows: evidence from the French case," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 30(7), pages 1069-1078, August.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lukas Bamberger).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.