Determinants of Collaboration in European R&D Networks: Empirical Evidence from a Discrete Choice Model
AbstractThis paper focuses on inter-organizational R&D collaborations as captured by joint research projects funded within the European Framework Programmes for Research and Technological Development (EU-FPs). We identify determinants of collaboration, including actor characteristics, relational and network effects as well as geographical effects by means of a discrete choice model. Using data on EU-FP projects from the EUPRO database and from a representative survey of participants, we produce statistically significant evidence that collaboration choices in EU-FPs are primarily facilitated by prior acquaintance, thematic proximity and geographical proximity. Also, network effects are significantly related to collaboration choice. Moreover, the study shows that the impact of geographical effects increases for more intensive collaboration. The results are promising since a deeper understanding of these collaboration processes is needed for future governance of research policies in the EU.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
As the access to this document is restricted, you may want to look for a different version under "Related research" (further below) or search for a different version of it.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor and Francis Journals in its journal Industry and Innovation.
Volume (Year): 18 (2011)
Issue (Month): 1 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.informaworld.com/smpp/title~db=all~content=t713424563
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Charlotte Schlump & Thomas Brenner, 2013. "Firm's cooperation activities: The relevance of public research, proximity and personal ties - A study of technology-oriented firms in East Germany," Working Papers on Innovation and Space 2013-06, Philipps University Marburg, Department of Geography.
- Ernest Miguélez, 2012. "How do geographically mobile innovators influence network formation?," Papers in Evolutionary Economic Geography (PEEG) 1208, Utrecht University, Section of Economic Geography, revised May 2012.
- Ernest Miguélez & Rosina Moreno, 2013.
"“Do labour mobility and technological collaborations foster geographical knowledge diffusion? The case of European regions”,"
IREA Working Papers
201314, University of Barcelona, Research Institute of Applied Economics, revised Jul 2013.
- Ernest Miguélez & Rosina Moreno, 2013. "Do Labour Mobility and Technological Collaborations Foster Geographical Knowledge Diffusion? The Case of European Regions," Growth and Change, Gatton College of Business and Economics, University of Kentucky, vol. 44(2), pages 321-354, 06.
- Ernest Miguélez & Rosina Moreno, 2013. "“Do labour mobility and technological collaborations foster geographical knowledge diffusion? The case of European regions”," AQR Working Papers 201306, University of Barcelona, Regional Quantitative Analysis Group, revised Jul 2013.
- Ernest Miguele & Rosina Moreno, 2012. "Do labour mobility and networks foster geographical knowledge diffusion? The case of European regions," Working Papers XREAP2012-14, Xarxa de Referència en Economia Aplicada (XREAP), revised Jul 2012.
- Cilem Selin Hazir & Corinne Autant-Bernard, 2012. "Using Affiliation Networks to Study the Determinants of Multilateral Research Cooperation Some empirical evidence from EU Framework Programs in biotechnology," Working Papers 1212, Groupe d'Analyse et de Théorie Economique (GATE), Centre national de la recherche scientifique (CNRS), Université Lyon 2, Ecole Normale Supérieure.
- Iris WanzenbÃ¶ck & Thomas Scherngell & Thomas Brenner, 2013. "Embeddedness of regions in European knowledge networks. A comparative analysis of inter-regional R and D collaborations, co-patents and co-publications," Working Papers on Innovation and Space 2013-07, Philipps University Marburg, Department of Geography.
- Iris WanzenbÃƒÂ¶ck & Thomas Scherngell & Fischer Manfred, 2011. "How do distinct firm characteristics affect behavioural additionalities of public R&D subsidies? Empirical evidence from a binary regression analysis," ERSA conference papers ersa11p297, European Regional Science Association.
- repec:wip:wpaper:7 is not listed on IDEAS
- Cilem Selin Hazir, 2011. "Conceptualizing the Role of Geographical Proximity in Project Based R&D Networks: A Literature Survey," ERSA conference papers ersa11p1616, European Regional Science Association.
- Abraham Garcia, 2011. "The European Research Framework Programme and innovation performance of companies. An empirical impact assessment using a CDM model," JRC-IPTS Working Papers on Corporate R&D and Innovation 2011-07, Institute of Prospective Technological Studies, Joint Research Centre.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.