Opportunity entrepreneurs - potential drivers of non-farm growth in rural Vietnam?
AbstractIn this paper we apply the concept of necessity and opportunity entrepreneurship to rural Vietnam. The aim is to evaluate whether opportunity entrepreneurs in rural areas in developing countries have a greater potential to stimulate endogenous non-farm growth than necessity entrepreneurs. The results show that opportunity entrepreneurs are relatively frequent. They have an agricultural background less often and are better educated and skilled. In addition, they are more successful in terms of profits, even after controlling for general business and locational characteristics. However, even rural opportunity entrepreneurs are often not oriented towards employment growth and thus have a limited capacity to generate nonâ€farm employment for other households. It becomes clear that although the necessity/opportunity concept has so far been primarily applied to developed countries, distinguishing opportunity and necessity entrepreneurship is very suitable in a rural developing context if some contextual specifics of the rural environment are taken into account.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Philipps University Marburg, Department of Geography in its series Working Papers on Innovation and Space with number 2012-01.
Length: 28 pages
Date of creation: May 2012
Date of revision:
NecessityÂ entrepreneurship; Â opportunityÂ entrepreneurship; Â developingÂ countries; Vietnam;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- L2 - Industrial Organization - - Firm Objectives, Organization, and Behavior
- O18 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Economic Development - - - Urban, Rural, Regional, and Transportation Analysis; Housing; Infrastructure
- R23 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - Household Analysis - - - Regional Migration; Regional Labor Markets; Population
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-AGR-2012-06-05 (Agricultural Economics)
- NEP-ALL-2012-06-05 (All new papers)
- NEP-DEV-2012-06-05 (Development)
- NEP-SEA-2012-06-05 (South East Asia)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Jörn Block & Philipp Sandner, 2009.
"Necessity and Opportunity Entrepreneurs and Their Duration in Self-employment: Evidence from German Micro Data,"
SOEPpapers on Multidisciplinary Panel Data Research
191, DIW Berlin, The German Socio-Economic Panel (SOEP).
- Jörn Block & Philipp Sandner, 2009. "Necessity and Opportunity Entrepreneurs and Their Duration in Self-employment: Evidence from German Micro Data," Journal of Industry, Competition and Trade, Springer, vol. 9(2), pages 117-137, June.
- Block, Jörn H. & Sandner, Philipp G., 2007. "Necessity and Opportunity Entrepreneurs and their Duration in Self-employment: Evidence from German Micro Data," Discussion Papers in Business Administration 2082, University of Munich, Munich School of Management.
- Ellis, Frank, 2000. "Rural Livelihoods and Diversity in Developing Countries," OUP Catalogue, Oxford University Press, number 9780198296966.
- Giacomin, Olivier & Janssen, Frank & Guyot, Jean-luc & Lohest, Olivier, 2011. "Opportunity and/or necessity entrepreneurship? The impact of the socio-economic characteristics of entrepreneurs," MPRA Paper 29506, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Günther, Isabel & Launov, Andrey, 2012. "Informal employment in developing countries," Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier, vol. 97(1), pages 88-98.
- Heiko Bergmann & Rolf Sternberg, 2007. "The Changing Face of Entrepreneurship in Germany," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 28(2), pages 205-221, March.
- Gries, Thomas & Naude, Wim, 2008.
"Entrepreneurship and Structural Economic Transformation,"
Working Paper Series
RP2008/62, World Institute for Development Economic Research (UNU-WIDER).
- Thomas Gries & Wim Naudé, 2010. "Entrepreneurship and structural economic transformation," Small Business Economics, Springer, vol. 34(1), pages 13-29, January.
- Earle, John S. & Sakova, Zuzana, 2000. "Business start-ups or disguised unemployment? Evidence on the character of self-employment from transition economies," Labour Economics, Elsevier, vol. 7(5), pages 575-601, September.
- Block, Joern & Wagner, Marcus, 2006.
"Necessity and Opportunity Entrepreneurs in Germany: Characteristics and Earnings Differentials,"
610, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Joern H. Block & Marcus Wagner, 2010. "Necessity and Opportunity Entrepreneurs in Germany: Characteristics and Earning s Differentials," Schmalenbach Business Review (sbr), LMU Munich School of Management, vol. 62(2), pages 154-174, April.
- Michael Grimm & Jens Krüger & Jann Lay, 2011.
"Barriers To Entry And Returns To Capital In Informal Activities: Evidence From Sub‐Saharan Africa,"
Review of Income and Wealth,
International Association for Research in Income and Wealth, vol. 57, pages S27-S53, 05.
- Grimm, Michael & Kruger, Jens & Lay, Jann, 2011. "Barriers to entry and returns to capital in informal activities : evidence from Sub-Saharan Africa," Social Protection Discussion Papers 77927, The World Bank.
- Roy Thurik & Ingrid Verheul & Isabel Grilo & Reena Bhola, 2006. "Explaining engagement levels of opportunity and necessity entrepreneurs," Scales Research Reports H200610, EIM Business and Policy Research.
- Cynthia Benzing & Hung Manh Chu & Gerard Callanan, 2005. "A Regional Comparison Of The Motivation And Problems Of Vietnamese Entrepreneurs," Journal of Developmental Entrepreneurship (JDE), World Scientific Publishing Co. Pte. Ltd., vol. 10(01), pages 3-27.
- Uwe Blien, 2011. "The Interaction between Culture and Economy in Vietnam," ERSA conference papers ersa11p342, European Regional Science Association.
- David B. Audretsch & Dirk Christian Dohse & Annekatrin Niebuhr, 2014. "Regional Unemployment Structure and New Firm Formation," Kiel Working Papers 1924, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Christoph Mengs).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.