The Dynamics of Inter-Regional Collaboration â€“ An Analysis of Co-Patenting
AbstractThe paper at hand investigates how co-patenting over distance develops when aggregating inventive activities on a regional level. That means, the object of analysis is a link between two regions in contrast to other studies, where links between two individuals or firms are investigated. We analyse which regional characteristics influence the creation and continuation of such links. The main focus lies on different types of distance. The approach adds a dynamic view to the existing, often static literature about collaboration behaviour. The regressions are done for all patent-relevant industries in Germany. We find that several distance types decrease â€“ as expected â€“ the likelihood of link creation but also - not in all cases expected - of link continuation.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Philipps University Marburg, Department of Geography in its series Working Papers on Innovation and Space with number 2011-06.
Length: 25 pages
Date of creation: Oct 2011
Date of revision:
patents; research collaboration; collaboration dynamics; inter-regional links; Germany;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- R11 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Regional Economic Activity: Growth, Development, Environmental Issues, and Changes
- O34 - Economic Development, Technological Change, and Growth - - Technological Change; Research and Development; Intellectual Property Rights - - - Intellectual Property Rights
- L14 - Industrial Organization - - Market Structure, Firm Strategy, and Market Performance - - - Transactional Relationships; Contracts and Reputation
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2012-01-25 (All new papers)
- NEP-CSE-2012-01-25 (Economics of Strategic Management)
- NEP-GEO-2012-01-25 (Economic Geography)
- NEP-INO-2012-01-25 (Innovation)
- NEP-IPR-2012-01-25 (Intellectual Property Rights)
- NEP-URE-2012-01-25 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Anja Dettmann & Sidonia von Proff, 2010. "Inventor collaboration over distance â€“ a comparison of academic and corporate patents," Working Papers on Innovation and Space 2010-01, Philipps University Marburg, Department of Geography.
- Roderik Ponds & Frank van Oort & Koen Frenken, 2007. "The geographical and institutional proximity of research collaboration," Papers in Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 86(3), pages 423-443, 08.
- Edwin Mansfield, 1986. "Patents and Innovation: An Empirical Study," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 32(2), pages 173-181, February.
- Hoekman, Jarno & Frenken, Koen & Tijssen, Robert J.W., 2010. "Research collaboration at a distance: Changing spatial patterns of scientific collaboration within Europe," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 39(5), pages 662-673, June.
- Rolf Sternberg, 2007. "Entrepreneurship, Proximity And Regional Innovation Systems," Tijdschrift voor Economische en Sociale Geografie, Royal Dutch Geographical Society KNAG, vol. 98(5), pages 652-666, December.
- Jarno Hoekman & Koen Frenken & Frank Oort, 2009.
"The geography of collaborative knowledge production in Europe,"
The Annals of Regional Science,
Springer, vol. 43(3), pages 721-738, September.
- Jarno Hoekman & Koen Frenken & Frank van Oort, 2008. "The geography of collaborative knowledge production in Europe," KITeS Working Papers 214, KITeS, Centre for Knowledge, Internationalization and Technology Studies, Universita' Bocconi, Milano, Italy, revised Feb 2008.
- Harald Bathelt & Andersand Malmberg & Peter Maskell, 2002. "Clusters and Knowledge Local Buzz, Global Pipelines and the Process of Knowledge Creation," DRUID Working Papers 02-12, DRUID, Copenhagen Business School, Department of Industrial Economics and Strategy/Aalborg University, Department of Business Studies.
- Maarten van Ham & Clara H Mulder & Pieter Hooimeijer, 2001. "Spatial flexibility in job mobility: macrolevel opportunities and microlevel restrictions," Environment and Planning A, Pion Ltd, London, vol. 33(5), pages 921-940, May.
- Andre Torre, 2008. "On the Role Played by Temporary Geographical Proximity in Knowledge Transmission," Regional Studies, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 42(6), pages 869-889.
- Christ, Julian P., 2010.
"The geography and co-location of European technology-specific co-inventorship networks,"
FZID Discussion Papers
14-2010, University of Hohenheim, Center for Research on Innovation and Services (FZID).
- Christ, Julian P., 2009. "The geography and co-location of European technology-specific co-inventorship networks," Violette Reihe Arbeitspapiere 31/2010, Promotionsschwerpunkt "Globalisierung und Beschaeftigung".
- Luigi Orsenigo & Fabio Pammolli & Massimo Riccaboni & Andrea Bonaccorsi & Giuseppe Turchetti, 1997. "The Evolution of Knowledge and the Dynamics of an Industry Network," Journal of Management and Governance, Springer, vol. 1(2), pages 147-175, June.
- Michael Fritsch, 2001. "Co-operation in Regional Innovation Systems," Regional Studies, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 35(4), pages 297-307.
- Anne ter Wal & Ron A. Boschma, 2007.
"Co-evolution of firms, industries and networks in space,"
Papers in Evolutionary Economic Geography (PEEG)
0707, Utrecht University, Section of Economic Geography, revised Aug 2007.
- Anne Ter Wal & Ron Boschma, 2011. "Co-evolution of Firms, Industries and Networks in Space," Regional Studies, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 45(7), pages 919-933.
- Uwe Cantner & Holger Graf, 2004.
"The Network of Innovators in Jena: An Application of Social Network Analysis,"
Jenaer Schriften zur Wirtschaftswissenschaft
04/2004, Friedrich-Schiller-Universität Jena, Wirtschaftswissenschaftliche Fakultät.
- Cantner, Uwe & Graf, Holger, 2006. "The network of innovators in Jena: An application of social network analysis," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 35(4), pages 463-480, May.
- Benjamin Gomes-Casseres & John Hagedoorn & Adam B. Jaffe, 2002.
"Do Alliances Promote Knowledge Flows?,"
in: Corporate Alliances
National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Gomes-Casseresa, Benjamin & Hagedoorn, John & Jaffe, Adam B., 2006. "Do alliances promote knowledge flows?," Open Access publications from Maastricht University urn:nbn:nl:ui:27-12183, Maastricht University.
- Mansfield, Edwin, 1998. "Academic research and industrial innovation: An update of empirical findings1," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 26(7-8), pages 773-776, April.
- D'Este, P. & Patel, P., 2007. "University-industry linkages in the UK: What are the factors underlying the variety of interactions with industry?," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 36(9), pages 1295-1313, November.
- Franz T�dtling & Markus Grillitsch & Christoph H�glinger, 2012. "Knowledge Sourcing and Innovation in Austrian ICT Companies—How Does Geography Matter?," Industry & Innovation, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 19(4), pages 327-348, May.
- Ron Martin & Peter Sunley, 2006.
"Path dependence and regional economic evolution,"
Journal of Economic Geography,
Oxford University Press, vol. 6(4), pages 395-437, August.
- Picci, Lucio, 2010.
"The internationalization of inventive activity: A gravity model using patent data,"
Elsevier, vol. 39(8), pages 1070-1081, October.
- Picci, Lucio, 2009. "The Internationalization of Inventive Activity: A Gravity Model Using Patent Data," MPRA Paper 18467, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Picci, Lucio, 2008. "The Internationalization of Inventive Activity: A Gravity Model Using Patent Data," MPRA Paper 12700, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Lee, Yong S, 2000. " The Sustainability of University-Industry Research Collaboration: An Empirical Assessment," The Journal of Technology Transfer, Springer, vol. 25(2), pages 111-33, June.
- Tom Broekel, 2012. "Collaboration Intensity and Regional Innovation Efficiency in Germany—A Conditional Efficiency Approach," Industry & Innovation, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 19(2), pages 155-179, February.
- Thomas Brenner & Charlotte Schlump, 2013. "Universities, Public Research and Regional Innovation Output: An Empirical Study of 19 Technologies in Germany," Working Papers on Innovation and Space 2013-03, Philipps University Marburg, Department of Geography.
- Anja Dettmann & Thomas Brenner, 2010. "Proximity is a Social Process - A Conceptual Framework," Working Papers on Innovation and Space 2010-03, Philipps University Marburg, Department of Geography.
- Ron Boschma, 2005. "Proximity and Innovation: A Critical Assessment," Regional Studies, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 39(1), pages 61-74.
- Sidonia von Ledebur & Guido Buenstorf & Martin Hummel, 2009.
"University Patenting in Germany before and after 2002: What Role Did the Professors' Privilege Play?,"
Jena Economic Research Papers
2009-068, Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena, Max-Planck-Institute of Economics.
- Sidonia von Proff & Guido Buenstorf & Martin Hummel, 2012. "University Patenting in Germany before and after 2002: What Role Did the Professors' Privilege Play?," Industry & Innovation, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 19(1), pages 23-44, January.
- Lori Rosenkopf & Paul Almeida, 2003. "Overcoming Local Search Through Alliances and Mobility," Management Science, INFORMS, vol. 49(6), pages 751-766, June.
- Anne L.J. Ter Wal, 2011. "The Dynamics of the Inventor Network in German Biotechnology: Geographical Proximity versus Triadic Closure," Papers in Evolutionary Economic Geography (PEEG) 1102, Utrecht University, Section of Economic Geography, revised Jan 2011.
- Ernst, Dieter & Kim, Linsu, 2002. "Global production networks, knowledge diffusion, and local capability formation," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(8-9), pages 1417-1429, December.
- Hagedoorn, John, 2002. "Inter-firm R&D partnerships: an overview of major trends and patterns since 1960," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 31(4), pages 477-492, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Lukas Bamberger).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.