The Evolution of Knowledge and the Dynamics of an Industry Network
AbstractThe paper moves a step forward in the direction of establishing a connection between the structure and evolution of knowledge bases and the structure and evolution of organizational forms in innovative activities in a science-intensive industry. The paper has an explicit focus on the dynamics of the network of collaborative agreements in R&D in the pharma/biotech industry after the “molecular biology revolution”. Using a comprehensive dataset, built by the authors integrating several sources in the industry, the dynamics of the network over time is extensively analyzed. With regards to network structure, it is found that, while the size of the network increases over time due to net flows of entry, its topological properties remain relatively unchanged. The evolution of the network has occurred without relevant deformations in the core-periphery profile. With regards to age-dependent propensity to collaborate, the paper finds that the extent of inter-generational collaboration is much more significant than intra-generational collaboration. In addition, the propensity of firms of a given generation to enter into collaboration with firms of a different generation increases with the distance between the two, while the total number of intra-generational collaborations decreases over time and, moreover, tends to decrease for most recent generations. In the paper a unitary and coherent explanation of the evidence is developed, coming to reveal the existence of a striking isomorphism between structural properties of the dynamics of knowledge and of the evolution of network structure. Copyright Kluwer Academic Publishers 1997
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Springer in its journal Journal of Management & Governance.
Volume (Year): 1 (1997)
Issue (Month): 2 (June)
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.springerlink.com/link.asp?id=102940
Network dynamics; science-based industries; pharmaceutical industry; biotechnology industry; R&D collaborative agreements;
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Giovanni Dosi & Luigi Marengo & Giorgio Fagiolo, 1996.
"Learning in evolutionary environment,"
CEEL Working Papers
9605, Cognitive and Experimental Economics Laboratory, Department of Economics, University of Trento, Italia.
- Lynne G. Zucker & Michael R. Darby, 1999. "Present at the Revolution: Transformation of Technical Identity for a Large Incumbent Pharmaceutical Firm After the Biotechnological Breakthrough," NBER Working Papers 5243, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Winter, Sidney G., 1984. "Schumpeterian competition in alternative technological regimes," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 5(3-4), pages 287-320.
- Malerba, Franco & Orsenigo, Luigi, 1996. "The Dynamics and Evolution of Industries," Industrial and Corporate Change, Oxford University Press, vol. 5(1), pages 51-87.
- Arora, Ashish & Gambardella, Alfonso, 1994. "Evaluating technological information and utilizing it : Scientific knowledge, technological capability, and external linkages in biotechnology," Journal of Economic Behavior & Organization, Elsevier, vol. 24(1), pages 91-114, June.
- Ron Boschma & Pierre-Alexandre Balland & Dieter Kogler, 2011. "A relational approach to knowledge spillovers in biotech. Network structures as drivers of inter-organizational citation patterns," Papers in Evolutionary Economic Geography (PEEG) 1120, Utrecht University, Section of Economic Geography, revised Dec 2011.
- Sidonia von Proff & Thomas Brenner, 2011. "The Dynamics of Inter-Regional Collaboration â€“ An Analysis of Co-Patenting," Working Papers on Innovation and Space 2011-06, Philipps University Marburg, Department of Geography.
- Bonaccorsi, Andrea & Giuri, Paola, 2001.
"The long-term evolution of vertically-related industries,"
International Journal of Industrial Organization,
Elsevier, vol. 19(7), pages 1053-1083, July.
- Andrea Bonaccorsi & Paola Giuri, 2000. "The long term evolution of vertically-related industries," LEM Papers Series 2000/01, Laboratory of Economics and Management (LEM), Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies, Pisa, Italy.
- Virginia Acha & Lucia Cusmano, 2005. "Governance and co-ordination of distributed innovation processes: patterns of R&D co-operation in the upstream petroleum industry," Economics of Innovation and New Technology, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 14(1-2), pages 1-21.
- Andrea Bonaccorsi & Paola Giuri, 1999.
"Network Structure and Industrial Dynamics. The long-term evolution of the aircraft-engine industry,"
LEM Papers Series
1999/06, Laboratory of Economics and Management (LEM), Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies, Pisa, Italy.
- Bonaccorsi, Andrea & Giuri, Paola, 2001. "Network structure and industrial dynamics. The long-term evolution of the aircraft-engine industry," Structural Change and Economic Dynamics, Elsevier, vol. 12(2), pages 201-233, July.
- Anne Ter Wal & Ron Boschma, 2009. "Applying social network analysis in economic geography: framing some key analytic issues," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 43(3), pages 739-756, September.
- Uwe Cantner & Bastian Rake, 2011.
"International Research Networks in Pharmaceuticals: Structure and Dynamics,"
Jena Economic Research Papers
2011-055, Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena, Max-Planck-Institute of Economics.
- Cantner, Uwe & Rake, Bastian, 2014. "International research networks in pharmaceuticals: Structure and dynamics," Research Policy, Elsevier, vol. 43(2), pages 333-348.
- Franco Malerba, 2006. "Innovation, Industrial Dynamics and Industry Evolution: Progress and the Research Agendas," Revue de l'OFCE, Presses de Sciences-Po, vol. 97(5), pages 21-46.
- Andrea Bonaccorsi & Paola Giuri, 2001. "Learning, technological competition and network structure in the aero-engine industry," LEM Papers Series 2001/11, Laboratory of Economics and Management (LEM), Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies, Pisa, Italy.
- Andrea Bonaccorsi & R. Cambini & Paola Giuri & R. Riccardi, 2001. "Non ergodic properties of the dynamics of industry concentration," LEM Papers Series 2001/12, Laboratory of Economics and Management (LEM), Sant'Anna School of Advanced Studies, Pisa, Italy.
- Müge Ozman, 2006. "Knowledge Integration and Network Formation," Working Papers of BETA 2006-06, Bureau d'Economie Théorique et Appliquée, UDS, Strasbourg.
- Ozman,Müge, 2003. "Self-Organizing Inter-Firm Networks," Research Memorandum 022, Maastricht University, Maastricht Economic Research Institute on Innovation and Technology (MERIT).
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Guenther Eichhorn) or (Christopher F. Baum).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.