The Spatial Evolution of Innovation Networks: A Proximity Perspective
AbstractWe propose an evolutionary perspective on the geography of network formation that is grounded in a dynamic proximity framework. In doing so, we root the proximity concept in an evolutionary approach to the geography of innovation networks. We discuss three topics. The first topic focuses on explaining the structure of networks. The second topic concentrates on explaining the effects of networks on the performance of actors. The third topic deals with the changing role of proximity dimensions in the formation and performance of innovation networks in the longer run.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by Utrecht University, Section of Economic Geography in its series Papers in Evolutionary Economic Geography (PEEG) with number 0905.
Length: 16 pages
Date of creation: Jun 2009
Date of revision: Jun 2009
evolutionary economic geography; knowledge networks; innovation networks; dynamic proximity;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- R0 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General
- R1 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics
- R12 - Urban, Rural, Regional, Real Estate, and Transportation Economics - - General Regional Economics - - - Size and Spatial Distributions of Regional Economic Activity; Interregional Trade (economic geography)
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2009-06-17 (All new papers)
- NEP-EVO-2009-06-17 (Evolutionary Economics)
- NEP-GEO-2009-06-17 (Economic Geography)
- NEP-INO-2009-06-17 (Innovation)
- NEP-KNM-2009-06-17 (Knowledge Management & Knowledge Economy)
- NEP-NET-2009-06-17 (Network Economics)
- NEP-SOC-2009-06-17 (Social Norms & Social Capital)
- NEP-URE-2009-06-17 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Pierre-Alexandre Balland & Mathijs de Vaan & Ron Boschma, 2011. "The Dynamics of Interfirm Networks along the Industry Life Cycle: The Case of the Global Video Games Industry 1987-2007," Papers in Evolutionary Economic Geography (PEEG) 1114, Utrecht University, Section of Economic Geography, revised Aug 2011.
- Marie Ferru & Olivier Bouba-Olga & Dominique Pepin, 2011.
"Exploring Spatial Features Of Science-Industry Partnerships: A Study On French Data,"
- Olivier Bouba-Olga & Marie Ferru & Dominique Pépin, 2012. "Exploring spatial features of science-industry partnerships: A study on French data," Papers in Regional Science, Wiley Blackwell, vol. 91(2), pages 355-375, 06.
- E. Marrocu & S. Usai & R. Paci, 2013. "Networks, proximities and inter-firm knowledge exchanges," Working Paper CRENoS 201311, Centre for North South Economic Research, University of Cagliari and Sassari, Sardinia.
- Olivier Bouba-Olga & Marie Ferru, 2011.
"La dimension spatiale des collaborations pour l'innovation : une analyse sur données CIFRE (1981-2006),"
Revue d'économie régionale et urbaine,
Armand Colin, vol. 0(3), pages 449-468.
- Olivier Bouba-Olga & Marie Ferru, 2009. "La dimension spatiale des collaborations pour l'innovation: une analyse sur données Cifre (1981-2006)," Working Papers hal-00489364, HAL.
- Ron Boschma & Pierre-Alexandre Balland & Dieter Kogler, 2011. "A relational approach to knowledge spillovers in biotech. Network structures as drivers of inter-organizational citation patterns," Papers in Evolutionary Economic Geography (PEEG) 1120, Utrecht University, Section of Economic Geography, revised Dec 2011.
- Uwe Cantner & Bastian Rake, 2011. "International Research Networks in Pharmaceuticals: Structure and Dynamics," Jena Economic Research Papers 2011-055, Friedrich-Schiller-University Jena, Max-Planck-Institute of Economics.
- Koen Frenken & Elena Cefis & Erik Stam, 2011. "Industrial dynamics and economic geography: a survey," Eindhoven Center for Innovation Studies (ECIS) working paper series 11-07, Eindhoven Center for Innovation Studies (ECIS).
- Cilem Selin Hazir, 2011. "Conceptualizing the Role of Geographical Proximity in Project Based R&D Networks: A Literature Survey," ERSA conference papers ersa11p1616, European Regional Science Association.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: ().
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.