Wild-Bootstrapped Variance Ratio Test for Autocorrelation in the Presence of Heteroskedasticity
AbstractThe Breusch-Godfrey’s LM test is one of the most popular tests for autocorrelation. However, it has been shown that the LM test may be erroneous when there exist heteroskedastic errors in regression model. Some remedies recently have been proposed by Godfrey and Tremayne (2005) and Shim et al. (2006). This paper suggests wild-bootstrapped variance ratio test for autocorrelation in the presence of heteroskedasticity. We show through a Monte Carlo simulation that our wild-bootstrapped VR test has better small sample properties and is robust to the structure of heteroskedasticity.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 9791.
Date of creation: Dec 2006
Date of revision: May 2008
variance-ratio test; Breusch-Godfrey’s LM test; autocorrelation; heteroskedasticity; wild bootstrap;
Other versions of this item:
- Jinook Jeong & Byunguk Kang, 2012. "Wild-bootstrapped variance-ratio test for autocorrelation in the presence of heteroskedasticity," Journal of Applied Statistics, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 39(7), pages 1531-1542, January.
- C12 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Hypothesis Testing: General
- C15 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Econometric and Statistical Methods and Methodology: General - - - Statistical Simulation Methods: General
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2008-08-14 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2008-08-14 (Econometrics)
- NEP-ETS-2008-08-14 (Econometric Time Series)
- NEP-ORE-2008-08-14 (Operations Research)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Emmanuel Flachaire, 2005.
"Bootstrapping heteroskedastic regression models: wild bootstrap vs. pairs bootstrap,"
UniversitÃ© Paris1 PanthÃ©on-Sorbonne (Post-Print and Working Papers)
- Flachaire, Emmanuel, 2005. "Bootstrapping heteroskedastic regression models: wild bootstrap vs. pairs bootstrap," Computational Statistics & Data Analysis, Elsevier, vol. 49(2), pages 361-376, April.
- Andrew W. Lo, A. Craig MacKinlay, 1988.
"Stock Market Prices do not Follow Random Walks: Evidence from a Simple Specification Test,"
Review of Financial Studies,
Society for Financial Studies, vol. 1(1), pages 41-66.
- Tom Doan, . "VRATIO: RATS procedure to implement variance ratio unit root test procedure," Statistical Software Components RTS00231, Boston College Department of Economics.
- Andrew W. Lo & A. Craig MacKinlay, 1989. "Stock Market Prices Do Not Follow Random Walks: Evidence From a Simple Specification Test," NBER Working Papers 2168, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Lo, Andrew W. & MacKinlay, A. Craig, 1989.
"The size and power of the variance ratio test in finite samples : A Monte Carlo investigation,"
Journal of Econometrics,
Elsevier, vol. 40(2), pages 203-238, February.
- Andrew W. Lo & Craig A. MacKinlay, . "The Size and Power of the Variance Ratio Test in Finite Samples: A Monte Carlo Investigation," Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research Working Papers 28-87, Wharton School Rodney L. White Center for Financial Research.
- Andrew W. Lo & A. Craig MacKinlay, 1988. "The Size and Power of the Variance Ratio Test in Finite Samples: A Monte Carlo Investigation," NBER Technical Working Papers 0066, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- Davidson, R. & Flachaire, E., 1999.
"The Wild Bootstrap, Tamed at Last,"
99a32, Universite Aix-Marseille III.
- Russell Davidson & Emmanuel Flachaire, 2001. "The Wild Bootstrap, Tamed at Last," Working Papers 1000, Queen's University, Department of Economics.
- Russell Davidson & Emmanuel Flachaire, 2000. "The Wild Bootstrap, Tamed at Last," Econometric Society World Congress 2000 Contributed Papers 1413, Econometric Society.
- Emmanuel Flachaire, 2001. "The Wild Bootstrap, Tamed at Last," STICERD - Distributional Analysis Research Programme Papers 58, Suntory and Toyota International Centres for Economics and Related Disciplines, LSE.
- Godfrey, Leslie G, 1978. "Testing against General Autoregressive and Moving Average Error Models When the Regressors Include Lagged Dependent Variables," Econometrica, Econometric Society, vol. 46(6), pages 1293-1301, November.
- Joo-Yeon Hyun & Hyeong Ho Mun & Tae-Hwan Kim & Jinook Jeong, 2010. "The effect of a variance shift on the Breusch-Godfrey's LM test," Applied Economics Letters, Taylor and Francis Journals, vol. 17(4), pages 399-404.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.