Turkey - Inflation and the Distribution of Income
AbstractDuring the inflationary process, prices, wages, and interest rates are all rising. In this panorama of movement in relative and absolute prices, are there systematic changes that have a predictable effect on the distribution of income? Chronically high inflation has often been blamed for making income distribution less equal in Turkey. This paper attempts to present some evidence. It seeks to determine the impact of inflationary processes on the economic well being of different income classes through both expenditure effects and income effects.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 9759.
Date of creation: 1999
Date of revision:
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- D31 - Microeconomics - - Distribution - - - Personal Income and Wealth Distribution
- E31 - Macroeconomics and Monetary Economics - - Prices, Business Fluctuations, and Cycles - - - Price Level; Inflation; Deflation
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Muellbauer, John, 1974. "Prices and Inequality: The United Kingdom Experience," Economic Journal, Royal Economic Society, vol. 84(333), pages 32-55, March.
- Ales Bulir & Anne Marie Gulde, 1995. "Inflation and Income Distribution - Further Evidence on Empirical Links," IMF Working Papers 95/86, International Monetary Fund.
- C. Emre Alper & Murat Ucer, 1998. "Some Observations on Turkish Inflation: A ''Random Walk'' Down the Past Decade," Working Papers 1998/02, Bogazici University, Department of Economics.
- Brimmer, Andrew F, 1971. "Inflation and Income Distribution in the United States," The Review of Economics and Statistics, MIT Press, vol. 53(1), pages 37-48, February.
- Michael, Robert T, 1979. "Variation across Households in the Rate of Inflation," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 11(1), pages 32-46, February.
- Theil, Henri, 1979. "Variations across households in the rate of inflation," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 4(1), pages 37-39.
- William D. Nordhaus, 1972.
"The Effects of Inflation on the Distribution of Economic Welfare,"
Cowles Foundation Discussion Papers
329, Cowles Foundation for Research in Economics, Yale University.
- Nordhaus, William D, 1973. "The Effects of Inflation on the Distribution of Economic Welfare," Journal of Money, Credit and Banking, Blackwell Publishing, vol. 5(1), pages 465-504, Part II F.
- Budd, Edward C & Seiders, David F, 1971. "The Impact of Inflation on the Distribution of Income and Wealth," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, vol. 61(2), pages 128-38, May.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.