Poverty of the Ethnic Minorities in Vietnam: Situation and Challenges from the Poorest Communes
AbstractThis study examines the poverty of the ethnic minorities in the poorest areas in Vietnam. We find that the ethnic minority now constitute more than a half of the poor population, though they account for around 14.5 percent of the population,. The share of the poor ethnic minorities in the total poor has steadily increased from 18 percent in the early 1990s up to 56 percent recently. Our decomposition analysis shows that differences in characteristics could explain as much as one third of the income gap between the majority and all other ethnic minorities groups. Importantly, it implies that poverty of the ethnic minorities cannot be solved simply by investment in infrastructures and public services. This suggests an awaking alarm for the focus on provision of basic infrastructure and public services emphasized in most of the current policies and programmes for ethnic minorities.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 50372.
Date of creation: 20 Dec 2010
Date of revision:
Eethnic minority; household income; poverty; decomposition; Vietnam;
Find related papers by JEL classification:
- I31 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare, Well-Being, and Poverty - - - General Welfare, Well-Being
- I32 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Welfare, Well-Being, and Poverty - - - Measurement and Analysis of Poverty
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Bob Baulch & Hoa Thi Minh Nguyen & Hung Thai Pham & Phuong Thu Thi Phuong, 2011. "Ethnic Minority Poverty in Vietnam," Working Papers id:3426, eSocialSciences.
- Adam Wagstaff & Eddy van Doorslaer, 2003. "Catastrophe and impoverishment in paying for health care: with applications to Vietnam 1993-1998," Health Economics, John Wiley & Sons, Ltd., vol. 12(11), pages 921-933.
- van de Walle, Dominique & Gunewardena, Dileni, 2001.
"Sources of ethnic inequality in Viet Nam,"
Journal of Development Economics, Elsevier,
Elsevier, vol. 65(1), pages 177-207, June.
- World Bank, 2003. "Vietnam Development Report 2004 : Poverty," World Bank Other Operational Studies 14651, The World Bank.
- Bob Baulch & Truong Thi Kim Chuyen & Dominique Haughton & Jonathan Haughton, 2007. "Ethnic minority development in Vietnam," Journal of Development Studies, Taylor & Francis Journals, Taylor & Francis Journals, vol. 43(7), pages 1151-1176.
- Nguyen Viet, Cuong, 2012. "Ethnic Minorities in Northern Mountains of Vietnam: Poverty, Income and Assets," MPRA Paper 40769, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Nguyen Viet, Cuong, 2012. "Poverty of Ethnic Minorities in the Poorest Areas of Vietnam," MPRA Paper 45737, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Nguyen, Cuong & Phung, Thu & Phung, Tung & Vu, Ngoc & Westbrook, Daniel, 2012. "The Impact of A National Poverty Reduction Program on Ethnic Minorities in Vietnam: The Lens of Baseline and Endline Surveys," MPRA Paper 50477, University Library of Munich, Germany.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.