Ethnic minority development in Vietnam
AbstractThis study examines the disparities in living standards between and among the different ethnic groups in Vietnam. Using data from the Vietnam Living Standards Surveys and 1999 Census, we show that 'majority' Kinh and Hoa households have substantially higher living standards than 'minority' households from Vietnam's 52 other ethnic groups. While the Kinh, Hoa, Khmer and Northern Highland Minorities benefited from economic growth in the 1990s, the position of the Central Highland Minorities stagnated. Decompositions show that even if minority households had the same endowments as Kinh households, this would close no more than a third of the gap in their per capita expenditures. While some ethnic minorities seem to be doing well out of a strategy of assimilating with the Kinh-Hoa majority, others groups are attempting to integrate economically while retaining distinct cultural identities, and a third group is largely being left behind by the growth process.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoArticle provided by Taylor & Francis Journals in its journal Journal of Development Studies.
Volume (Year): 43 (2007)
Issue (Month): 7 ()
Contact details of provider:
Web page: http://www.tandfonline.com/FJDS20
You can help add them by filling out this form.
CitEc Project, subscribe to its RSS feed for this item.
- Michael Epprecht & Daniel Müller & Nicholas Minot, 2011. "How remote are Vietnam’s ethnic minorities? An analysis of spatial patterns of poverty and inequality," The Annals of Regional Science, Springer, vol. 46(2), pages 349-368, April.
- Le, Huong Thu & Booth, Alison L., 2010.
"Inequality in Vietnamese Urban-Rural Living Standards, 1993-2006,"
IZA Discussion Papers
4987, Institute for the Study of Labor (IZA).
- Booth, Alison L. & Le, Huong Thu, 2010. "Inequality in Vietnamese Urban-Rural Living Standards, 1993-2006," CEPR Discussion Papers 7918, C.E.P.R. Discussion Papers.
- Woojin Kang & Katsushi Imai, 2010.
"Pro-Poor Growth, Poverty and Inequality in Rural Vietnam,"
The School of Economics Discussion Paper Series
1011, Economics, The University of Manchester.
- Kang, Woojin & Imai, Katsushi S., 2012. "Pro-poor growth, poverty and inequality in rural Vietnam," Journal of Asian Economics, Elsevier, vol. 23(5), pages 527-539.
- Woojin Kang & Katsushi S. Imai, 2010. "Pro-Poor Growth, Poverty and Inequality in Rural Vietnam," Discussion Paper Series DP2010-18, Research Institute for Economics & Business Administration, Kobe University.
- Dwayne Benjamin & Loren Brandt & Brian McCaig & Nguyen Le Hoa, 2012. "Evaluating the impact of a targeted land distribution program: Evidence from Vietnam," Working Papers tecipa-461, University of Toronto, Department of Economics.
- Pham Thai, Hung & Le Dang, Trung & Nguyen Viet, Cuong, 2010. "Poverty of the Ethnic Minorities in Vietnam: Situation and Challenges from the Poorest Communes," MPRA Paper 50372, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Vasco Molini & Guanghua Wan, 2008. "Discovering sources of inequality in transition economies: a case study of rural Vietnam," Economic Change and Restructuring, Springer, vol. 41(1), pages 75-96, March.
- Nguyen Viet, Cuong, 2012. "Ethnic Minorities in Northern Mountains of Vietnam: Poverty, Income and Assets," MPRA Paper 40769, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Damir Esenaliev & Susan Steiner, 2012. "Are Uzbeks Better off than Kyrgyz?: Measuring and Decomposing Horizontal Inequality," Discussion Papers of DIW Berlin 1252, DIW Berlin, German Institute for Economic Research.
- Vijverberg, WimP. M. & Haughton, Jonathan, 2002. "Household enterprises in Vietnam : survival, growth, and living standards," Policy Research Working Paper Series 2773, The World Bank.
- Saint-Macary, Camille, 2012. "Are Ethnically Diverse Communities “Bad” Communities? An Empirical Study on Social Capital Formation in Northern Vietnam," Economics Papers from University Paris Dauphine 123456789/11437, Paris Dauphine University.
- Pham, T. Hung & Reilly, Barry, 2007. "Ethnic Wage Inequality in Vietnam: Empirical Evidence from 2002," MPRA Paper 6477, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Keetie Roelen & Franziska Gassmann & Chris Neubourg, 2010. "Child Poverty in Vietnam: Providing Insights Using a Country-Specific and Multidimensional Model," Social Indicators Research, Springer, vol. 98(1), pages 129-145, August.
- Bob Baulch & Hoa Thi Minh Nguyen & Hung Thai Pham & Phuong Thu Thi Phuong, 2011. "Ethnic Minority Poverty in Vietnam," Working Papers id:3426, eSocialSciences.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Michael McNulty).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.