Impact of Italian smoking ban on business activity of restaurants, cafès and bars
AbstractIn this paper, we estimate the economic impact of the Italian smoking ban of 2005 on some activities of the catering sector. We use the quasi-experimental design induced by the introduction of the smoking ban in Italy to compare sales, profits and employment in cafès and restaurants located in the treatment area relative to a control group in similar economies such as Spain and France, where no ban had yet been imposed. We selected a large sample of firms in these three countries from a unique European panel dataset, which collects comparable financial indicators extracted from balance sheets. Our study indicates that the Italian smoking ban had a slight negative impact on sales in caf´es and restaurants but had no effect on profits, earnings or employment.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 47369.
Date of creation: 19 Mar 2013
Date of revision:
Smoking ban; difference-in-differences; cafè and restaurant revenues;
Other versions of this item:
- Pieroni, L. & Daddi, P. & Salmasi, L., 2013. "Impact of Italian smoking ban on business activity of restaurants, cafés and bars," Economics Letters, Elsevier, vol. 121(1), pages 70-73.
- I10 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - General
- I18 - Health, Education, and Welfare - - Health - - - Government Policy; Regulation; Public Health
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- Pieroni, Luca & Chiavarini, Manuela & Minelli, Liliana & Salmasi, Luca, 2012.
"The role of anti-smoking legislation on cigarette and alcohol consumption habits in Italy,"
42480, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Pieroni, Luca & Chiavarini, Manuela & Minelli, Liliana & Salmasi, Luca, 2013. "The role of anti-smoking legislation on cigarette and alcohol consumption habits in Italy," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 111(2), pages 116-126.
- Paolo Buonanno & Marco Ranzani, 2012.
"Thank you for not smoking: evidence from the Italian smoking ban,"
Carlo Alberto Notebooks
246, Collegio Carlo Alberto.
- Buonanno, Paolo & Ranzani, Marco, 2013. "Thank you for not smoking: Evidence from the Italian smoking ban," Health Policy, Elsevier, vol. 109(2), pages 192-199.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.