Measuring Economic Growth from Outer Space: A Comment
AbstractWe examine spatial econometric issues arising from the model specification in Henderson, Storeygard and Weil (2012), that uses night light data to proxy for missing or unreliable GDP growth data.
Download InfoIf you experience problems downloading a file, check if you have the proper application to view it first. In case of further problems read the IDEAS help page. Note that these files are not on the IDEAS site. Please be patient as the files may be large.
Bibliographic InfoPaper provided by University Library of Munich, Germany in its series MPRA Paper with number 47340.
Date of creation: 01 Jun 2013
Date of revision:
GDP; Night light data; Spatial autocorrelation;
Other versions of this item:
- Berliant, Marcus & Weiss, Adam, 2013. "Measuring Economic Growth from Outer Space: A Comment," MPRA Paper 51055, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- Berliant, Marcus & Weiss, Adam, 2013. "Measuring Economic Growth from Outer Space: A Comment," MPRA Paper 51713, University Library of Munich, Germany.
- C21 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Cross-Sectional Models; Spatial Models; Treatment Effect Models
- C23 - Mathematical and Quantitative Methods - - Single Equation Models; Single Variables - - - Models with Panel Data; Spatio-temporal Models
This paper has been announced in the following NEP Reports:
- NEP-ALL-2013-06-09 (All new papers)
- NEP-ECM-2013-06-09 (Econometrics)
- NEP-FDG-2013-06-09 (Financial Development & Growth)
- NEP-GEO-2013-06-09 (Economic Geography)
- NEP-URE-2013-06-09 (Urban & Real Estate Economics)
Please report citation or reference errors to , or , if you are the registered author of the cited work, log in to your RePEc Author Service profile, click on "citations" and make appropriate adjustments.:
- J. Vernon Henderson & Adam Storeygard & David N. Weil, 2009.
"Measuring Economic Growth from Outer Space,"
NBER Working Papers
15199, National Bureau of Economic Research, Inc.
- J. Vernon Henderson & Adam Storeygard & David N. Weil, 2012. "Measuring Economic Growth from Outer Space," American Economic Review, American Economic Association, American Economic Association, vol. 102(2), pages 994-1028, April.
- Kapoor, Mudit & Kelejian, Harry H. & Prucha, Ingmar R., 2007. "Panel data models with spatially correlated error components," Journal of Econometrics, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 140(1), pages 97-130, September.
- Jerison, Michael, 1984. "Aggregation and pairwise aggregation of demand when the distribution of income is fixed," Journal of Economic Theory, Elsevier, Elsevier, vol. 33(1), pages 1-31, June.
- Frank Bickenbach & Eckhardt Bode & Mareike Lange & Peter Nunnenkamp, 2013. "Night Lights and Regional GDP," Kiel Working Papers 1888, Kiel Institute for the World Economy.
For technical questions regarding this item, or to correct its authors, title, abstract, bibliographic or download information, contact: (Ekkehart Schlicht).
If references are entirely missing, you can add them using this form.